News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No heat/lower hose ice cold

Started by Alan73Charger, November 27, 2015, 07:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

The 73 charger is running.  More about what ended up being the issue later.  As soon as we get a decent day I'll get it outside and upload some good pictures of it. 

Problem is I have no heat.  Luke warm at best.  I noticed the lower hose still ice cold even when the upper is real hot.   The car has a new Stant 180 degree thermostat.  I also replaced all the hoses including the bypass hose.  I mention this one because from the time I put it on I didn't like the bend in the hose compared to the 42 year bulging and about to explode hose I took off.    Could excessive bend in this bypass hose be restricting water movement?  And FYI the engine doesn't over heat, actually runs a bit cooler than you would expect.  Also when I shut the car off you can hear what sounds like water draining back into something.  Not sure if that's normal or not. 

Thank you for any input you might have. 
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

your heater core is clogged up. Take the hoses off. On the side that is still cold, blow air through the core. Crap will come out the other side. but so will anti freeze and rusty water. so cover everything you don't want to get all messy. water pressure, or air pressure will both work. good luck.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

A383Wing

BSB67

Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 27, 2015, 07:53:32 PM
The 73 charger is running.  More about what ended up being the issue later.  As soon as we get a decent day I'll get it outside and upload some good pictures of it. 

Problem is I have no heat.  Luke warm at best.  I noticed the lower hose still ice cold even when the upper is real hot.   The car has a new Stant 180 degree thermostat.  I also replaced all the hoses including the bypass hose.  I mention this one because from the time I put it on I didn't like the bend in the hose compared to the 42 year bulging and about to explode hose I took off.    Could excessive bend in this bypass hose be restricting water movement?  And FYI the engine doesn't over heat, actually runs a bit cooler than you would expect.  Also when I shut the car off you can hear what sounds like water draining back into something.  Not sure if that's normal or not. 

Small block?   Did you have the problem before replacing the hose? The bypass hose is pre-bent, right?  

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Alan73Charger

Alan73Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 27, 2015, 08:16:01 PM
your heater core is clogged up. Take the hoses off. On the side that is still cold, blow air through the core. Crap will come out the other side. but so will anti freeze and rusty water. so cover everything you don't want to get all messy. water pressure, or air pressure will both work. good luck.

Could you explain this better please?  What hoses?  Are we talking the two that run from the heater valve to the firewall?  I'll be disconnecting them at the heater valve and blowing air or water through towards the firewall??   FYI I wanted to replace the heater valve, but the four seasons brand one I got didn't mount the same way.  Rather then drill holes in the fender I sent it back. 

Thank you!

polywideblock

have you checked your water pump,  impellers rust/corrode  out

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

nvrbdn

Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 27, 2015, 09:00:39 PM

Could you explain this better please?  What hoses?  Are we talking the two that run from the heater valve to the firewall?  I'll be disconnecting them at the heater valve and blowing air or water through towards the firewall??   FYI I wanted to replace the heater valve, but the four seasons brand one I got didn't mount the same way.  Rather then drill holes in the fender I sent it back.  

Thank you!

I was assuming that you were saying you had no heat, and the one hose to the fire wall was hot while the other was cold. If that is the problem, then you would disconnect the two hoses at the fire wall and blow air back through the heater core. Now, if you say the top radiator hose is hot, and the lower radiator hose is cold, that would be different.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Alan73Charger

Quote from: polywideblock on November 27, 2015, 09:05:54 PM
have you checked your water pump,  impellers rust/corrode  out

I haven't yet.  Wouldn't I need to pull the pulley and stuff?  Just got her back together, not wanting to pull it back apart.  lol

Alan73Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 27, 2015, 10:06:49 PM
Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 27, 2015, 09:00:39 PM

Could you explain this better please?  What hoses?  Are we talking the two that run from the heater valve to the firewall?  I'll be disconnecting them at the heater valve and blowing air or water through towards the firewall??   FYI I wanted to replace the heater valve, but the four seasons brand one I got didn't mount the same way.  Rather then drill holes in the fender I sent it back.  

Thank you!

I was assuming that you were saying you had no heat, and the one hose to the fire wall was hot while the other was cold. If that is the problem, then you would disconnect the two hoses at the fire wall and blow air back through the heater core. Now, if you say the top radiator hose is hot, and the lower radiator hose is cold, that would be different.

Sorry, should of been more clear then.  These are the hoses that connect to the radiator.  Upper and lower.  It's the lower hose that is staying cold.

A383Wing

Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 27, 2015, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on November 27, 2015, 08:28:17 PM
what engine here? AC car or not?

Car is a 318 with air. 

did you put the water pump plate on before installing the pump to the timing chain housing?

Alan73Charger

Quote from: BSB67 on November 27, 2015, 08:28:47 PM
Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 27, 2015, 07:53:32 PM

Small block?   Did you have the problem before replacing the hose? The bypass hose is pre-bent, right?  

Yes 318.  Honestly don't know.  Got the car and before I even drove it changed the hoses.  The hose was very soft and bulging.  You could tell it was about to go.  New one didn't even look like the same hose because of the condition of the old one.  The new hose -  gates 20693.  So yes a slight bend but it seemed like I had to bend it even further almost putting a kink in it to get it on.  Maybe I should upload a pic.  It's not kinked so much water wouldn't flow through but it might be restricting water flow?

Alan73Charger

Quote from: A383Wing on November 27, 2015, 11:19:06 PM
Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 27, 2015, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on November 27, 2015, 08:28:17 PM
what engine here? AC car or not?

Car is a 318 with air. 

did you put the water pump plate on before installing the pump to the timing chain housing?

I haven't touched the water pump.  Only replaced hoses and thermostat. 

nvrbdn

I don't believe the water level is full yet. how long did the car run? did you drive the car? upper hose hot, lower hose cold, no heat in the car,  Basically if the water pump is working and we know the thermostat should be, if there is hot water to the pump, there is hot water to the heater core and the radiator. The top hose is hot and the heater core hose is hot, it coming from steam due to an air pocket. and the lower hose doesn't warm because the pump has no water to push around. Hence the draining sound.

I am hoping I am right. Its the easiest fix. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Alan73Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 28, 2015, 09:05:49 AM
I don't believe the water level is full yet. how long did the car run? did you drive the car? upper hose hot, lower hose cold, no heat the the car,  Basically if the water pump is working and we know the thermostat should be, if there is hot water to the pump, there is hot water to the heater core and the radiator. The top hose is hot and the heater core hose is hot, it coming from steam due to an air pocket. and the lower hose doesn't warm because the pump has no water to push around. Hence the draining sound.

I am hoping I am right. Its the easiest fix. :2thumbs:

Thanks.  The car ran maybe 10 minutes a couple times.  Didn't drive it.  I was beginning to think some air in the system also.  I don't think theres a bleeder on the motor.  I was looking at one of those spill free funnels to get the air bubbles out.  There is definitely a draining noise after I shut the car off.  Any suggestions on easiest way to remove any air pockets from the cooling system? 

nvrbdn

it will work its way out. If the thermostat were out and the motor filled to that point, then install the thermostat, then the upper hose, or on the 318 if the port for the heater core is from the top of the engine, it can be taken off from the fire wall allowing air to escape. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Alan73Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 28, 2015, 09:40:03 AM
it will work its way out. If the thermostat were out and the motor filled to that point, then install the thermostat, then the upper hose, or on the 318 if the port for the heater core is from the top of the engine, it can be taken off from the fire wall allowing air to escape. :shruggy:

Sounds good.  Yea all the antifreeze was out since I replaced the lower hose.  I just put the new thermostat in and the new hoses on and filled it up.  Or so I thought.  Good idea on disconnecting the hose at the firewall.  I was planing on flushing that heater core anyway once the weather gets better than 35 and light rain!

Thanks for the input.

polywideblock

if it is air trapped , ( why didn't I think of that one   :scratchchin:)

putting the  front of the car up on jack stands sometimes helps, tilts the block allowing trapped air an escape route 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE