News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Too much power?

Started by fizz, November 25, 2015, 12:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizz

Got my first drive yesterday. Granted, 40 degree pavement and touring tires, but seems like 500 stroker power is gonna be hard to get to hook up. Blows the tires shifting into drive. :o

68pplcharger

That's why these cars are so much fun...  :cheers:

If set up right you will hook fine at the track  :2thumbs:

cbrestorations

thats kind of why i dont like big cubic inch engines. hit hard and fast but then level out unless you have massive heads. a bone stock 5.7 hemi with a 76mm turbo will make 650hp to the tire, get 20mpg and easier on the tire, progressive hp. but on the other hand nothing sounds as cool idling as a big inch cammed engine  :yesnod:

fizz

Yea, I think my kids 2010 Camaro will wipe me if I cant get the power down

Ghoste

Just keep fixing the weak links.  Your first will be traction but once you get it to hook you will soon find the others.  :D

68pplcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on November 25, 2015, 03:02:47 PM
Just keep fixing the weak links.  Your first will be traction but once you get it to hook you will soon find the others.  :D

Very true... Weak links will tend to announce themselves very quickly

XH29N0G

Have fun and be careful.  Try a different tire compound.  Mine isn't that crazy, but 275 60 TAs wouldn't hold in 1st or 2nd if the pedal hit the floor.  I switched to M/T 255 15 ET street radials that hold.   They don't work in wet.  I saw another offering ET Street SS that I think I will try next.   Others use Nittos and there are others like BFG G force that I think people use.    I found it no fun to have no traction.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mytur Binsdirti

700 hp in the Hellcat feels pretty darned good, but the 485 hp in my old 64 Plymouth was a hairy ride.

ws23rt

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 25, 2015, 06:02:09 PM
700 hp in the Hellcat feels pretty darned good, but the 485 hp in my old 64 Plymouth was a hairy ride.

It's the torque that kicks us in the seat. :icon_smile_wink:   Our hellcats give over 400 ft. lbs. at 1200 rpm :cheers:

BTW I had mine (with the HP meter on) making 580 hp. I was looking to feel what 700+ felt like. I was over 160 mph and pulling hard. The freeway got small and I got timid. A place and time is yet to come to feel that 700 hp.--(never been to a drag race track) :shruggy:

oddis

air pressure might also be important....., the mt street needs almost no pressure if you´re going to launch  :2thumbs:   , cal-tracks and right adjusted dampers is the next point... , but most important is to make it go straight...., if it does, there is no more fun than to mark the trail you came from...  :D

do you have a picture of the car with the issues..... ?  :popcorn:   some action-photos might help us...    :icon_smile_big:    :drool5: 

Kern Dog

I'm with you there, Fizz....
My car has "Summer Tires" rated to be used in temperatures of 50 degrees and up. Here in CA, I am fortunate to have many days to take advantage even though the car isn't a daily driver.
The wifes 2015 Challenger R/T also has a set of "Summer Tires", hers are Goodyear F1 Supercar. We have yet to drive the car in the rain or in the colder weather. It has dipped into the low 40s the past week so we have used my truck for errands instead. The tire warranty brochure warned that chunking or other types of tread damage can occur if driven in extreme cold temperatures.

cdr

yep my 512 blows the tires from a 60mph roll.   :scared:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

six-tee-nine

Quote from: cdr on November 25, 2015, 09:23:40 PM

Isnt that exactly what we are all looking for?  :D
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Kern Dog

yep my 512 blows the tires from a 60mph roll after a snowfall.

A Dodge Omni can spin tires on ice.   :hah:

myk

Quote from: fizz on November 25, 2015, 12:21:57 PM
Got my first drive yesterday. Granted, 40 degree pavement and touring tires, but seems like 500 stroker power is gonna be hard to get to hook up. Blows the tires shifting into drive. :o

Mission accomplished...

maxwellwedge

Too Much Power.............three words that can never be used in that order....  :2thumbs:

garner7555

That makes me want to build up the 400 I have laying around.  :yesnod:   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

birdsandbees

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 26, 2015, 08:36:53 AM
Too Much Power.............three words that can never be used in that order....  :2thumbs:

So true Jim.. and when you do finally get it to hook up you find yourself going car to car at the drags looking for rear axle clips to get home! Bind der.. done dat!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

c00nhunterjoe

What tires, springs, shocks are on the car? No reason it should be spinning that bad unless thats what you want it to do. I can put the 11" wide bfg radial ta's back on the car and smoke them in all 4 gears, but thats pointless...

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 26, 2015, 10:00:36 PM
What tires, springs, shocks are on the car? No reason it should be spinning that bad unless thats what you want it to do. I can put the 11" wide bfg radial ta's back on the car and smoke them in all 4 gears, but thats pointless...

if you are asking me??
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

c00nhunterjoe

It was directed at fizz, but your signature picture looks pretty mean, and since you blow your tires off at 60 mph, yeah im curious what you have set up too.

cdr

split mono leaf caltrac & their bars, when i get rich , some adjustable shocks & drag radials, the tires on it now are very hard 295-50-15.

fizz

Mopar performance springs, Hotchkiss shocks, afco rear sway bar, 391 gears, silver sport A41 auto trans, 3500 stall converter Continental 275-50-18 tires(probably main deficit).
But, I have a long way to go, just first drive and winter is here. I have a lot of tuning to do.
I can do a lot with the transmission tuning
Never experienced that kind of torque before

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on November 26, 2015, 10:43:52 PM
split mono leaf caltrac & their bars, when i get rich , some adjustable shocks & drag radials, the tires on it now are very hard 295-50-15.

Very nice rear suspension. Get different tires and shocks that promote weight transfer and prepare for some fun. Fwiw, the 69 roadrunner that i post pictures of runs the caltrac springs and bars and on a 9" tire foot brake launching at 2800, it will nearly rip the bumper off, and you have more engine then he does. You also dont need to spen a fortune on shocks. Calvert has their own 90/10s that are not that expensive and a decent 50/50 in the rear are under 100 a peice also. Unless you are doing hardcore racing then you dont need double adjustable drag shocks.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: fizz on November 27, 2015, 09:48:30 AM
Mopar performance springs, Hotchkiss shocks, afco rear sway bar, 391 gears, silver sport A41 auto trans, 3500 stall converter Continental 275-50-18 tires(probably main deficit).
But, I have a long way to go, just first drive and winter is here. I have a lot of tuning to do.
I can do a lot with the transmission tuning
Never experienced that kind of torque before

Yeah, that entire setup is not designed to dead hook a 2 ton car. That looks more like a drifting setup.