News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CH4B intake

Started by C500, November 12, 2015, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Does anyone know the purpose of the small hole in the underside of the Manifold? Looks original, is it necessary to have? Am having a hairline crack welded and wondering if I should also get the small hole filled at the same time? The pic below is not mine, but the same manifold and same hole.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

ws23rt

That is a good question :scratchchin:. I looks like it may open to the heat crossover chamber. :shruggy:

If it was mine I would tap it to the nearest pipe thread size for a pipe plug. That gives you a clean option to have it or not and save the welding hassle. :Twocents:

Dino

What the heck is that for??  Condensation drain?   :shruggy:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

C500

Condensation drain huh, better keep it operational then I guess. Was a bit gummed up
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

birdsandbees

That's just the heat cross over that has the well for the automatic choke.. NO. Pending what you're running for a carb it may not matter.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

C500

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 12, 2015, 11:36:36 PM
That's just the heat cross over that has the well for the automatic choke.. NO. Pending what you're running for a carb it may not matter.

I currently have an Edelbrock 750 with auto choke. You're saying this hole needs to be there if you're running an auto choke?

(Thanks for the replies too everyone).

myk

I guess I'll keep mine plugged...

b5blue

I left mine alone. Put an air blower into it and you know if it's okay.  :2thumbs: (My Proform 750 has an electric choke anyway.)

BSB67

Quote from: C500 on November 12, 2015, 11:57:08 PM

You're saying this hole needs to be there if you're running an auto choke?

No.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

I can't picture any scenario where you'd want exhaust gasses exiting the manifold.  As suggested earlier, blow air into the hole and, if it does lead to the crossover, plug it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

C500

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 13, 2015, 03:14:25 PM
I can't picture any scenario where you'd want exhaust gasses exiting the manifold.  As suggested earlier, blow air into the hole and, if it does lead to the crossover, plug it.

:2thumbs:

Dino

Maybe you can stick something like this in there?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I thought it was just hot air from a dead point between exhaust ports in the head?  There isn't actually exhaust going through there is there?

firefighter3931

Most folks install the felpro #1215 intake gasket with a "performance" style intake which blocks off the heat crossover. Doing so keeps the intake manifold cooler and would make blocking off the hole (in question) a moot point.

My guess is that the hole is there to bleed off excessive heat from the intake manifold.  :scratchchin:

Bottom line : install the 1215 valley pan and don't worry about the crossover bleed hole  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cdr

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2015, 09:14:33 AM

I thought it was just hot air from a dead point between exhaust ports in the head?  There isn't actually exhaust going through there is there?

the exh port is open through that passage, when the heat riser is closed it forces the exhaust to flow through the passage under the intake into the other heads exhaust port.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2015, 09:14:33 AM

That's why we suggested blowing air through it...it is possible that that hole is isolated from the actual exhaust gas i.e. a heated passage for a choke stove.

303 Mopar

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 14, 2015, 09:44:25 AM
Most folks install the felpro #1215 intake gasket with a "performance" style intake which blocks off the heat crossover. Doing so keeps the intake manifold cooler and would make blocking off the hole (in question) a moot point.

My guess is that the hole is there to bleed off excessive heat from the intake manifold.  :scratchchin:

Bottom line : install the 1215 valley pan and don't worry about the crossover bleed hole  ;)

Ron

:iagree:  This is exactly how I installed my CH4B, 1215 Felpro which includes 2 gaskets and the valley pan with heat crossover blocked.  Don't worry about the hole in the bottom of the manifold, but you need to plug the hole on the passenger side.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

John_Kunkel

If that hole you plugged is the other end of the bottom hole in question, no need to plug it. I'm not familiar with that manifold but, if the bottom hole is the other end of the top hole, it's merely a hot air source for a divorced choke mechanism.  :shruggy:

303 Mopar

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 15, 2015, 04:54:55 PM

If that hole you plugged is the other end of the bottom hole in question, no need to plug it. I'm not familiar with that manifold but, if the bottom hole is the other end of the top hole, it's merely a hot air source for a divorced choke mechanism.  :shruggy:

The two holes are not connected.  I was having trouble setting the timing, and could swear I heard a vacuum leak but could not find one until I happen to look hear and saw the hole.  Once I plugged this, I was able to get the timing set.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible