News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will '72 Newport disc brakes fit on a '69 Charger?

Started by rikubot, October 10, 2015, 04:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I'm sure this topic has arose before, but my search was not effective.

Does anyone know if the spindles, ball joints and all that good stuff off a 1972 Newport C Body will fit on a '69 Charger? My friend has the parts and I want to make a deal with him, but we aren't sure the swap will be doable. I believe the rotors are 11.5 inch or 11 point something. Also, will the caliper clear my 15x7 wheel? Thanks in advance guys.

-Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Forgot to note I have drum up front right now. I should also mention that I already have the master cylinder for it and he has a proportioning valve as well.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

I'm pretty sure the C body spindles do not fit, not as a bolt on anyway although with some modifications it might work.  I wanted to do this myself but am going with the Scarebird kit instead which will let you use 11.75" rotors from your local or online parts store and it'll work with your wheels.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=101
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rikubot

Do those Dakota Brakes have a better performance than the old stuff? I found this kit on ebay but it doesn't say the disc size. I'll message them and ask. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330762316708?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

The Ram calipers should be very good, they were used on several hd trucks so I don't see why they wouldn't stop a Charger.  It's a single piston design so not much can go wrong with those.

I don't know about the ebay kit, I'm always a bit sceptial about the quality of the low priced kits to be honest. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

I don't know exactly what that kit contains, but beware of cast-iron spindles.  

Forged steel (original spindle) bends when it gets stressed too far. 

Cast iron (many cheap aftermarket spindles) won't bend, it will crack & break off.  That means a front wheel falls off the car at full speed without warning.  

The only reason any manufacturer would use cast iron is to save a buck.  The OEMs avoid it for a reason.   

rikubot

Very good points from both you guys. I'm so glad I found this site. I emailed the seller with some questions. $450 does seem pretty cheap compared to everything else out there. Makes the wilwood stuff seem like a pretty expensive but great option.
'69 Charger, 440/727

1974dodgecharger

front willwoods cheapest option is what 6oo to 800 bucks? 

Or go find a 85 5th avenue and get spindles, brakes, pads, etc...and bolt it right up to a 68 charger and I can get pads anywhere, lol.... :icon_smile_big:

John_Kunkel

I'd go with the Scarebird. No need to change spindles.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bronzedodge

I know several folks using the Scarebird stuff.  Willwood seems to be popular also, not sure where you would get replacement pads though.  The A- body disc is the "conventional" way to go.  Swapping over C-body stuff is rare, imho.
Mopar forever!

stripedelete

I used a 77 Volare.  But, I bet an abandon 5th is easier to find at this point (f- bodies generally dissolve in water).

HPP

C body spindles will not bolt to the B body ball joints without modifying the mounting pattern. This requires moving the mounting holes on the spindle. The '73 C body spindles only require slight re-alignment, '72 require a larger modification.  The spindles are also taller, so it creates a new geometry pattern. The disc rotors are thicker 1.25 vs 1" for regular B body discs.

So it's possible, but not easy. It also puts you into a position of needed the '72 C body pads.

Getting Wilwood pads is no big deal. Summit and Jegs have carried them for decades. Plus you get a wide range of compound choices.

The advantage of better braking comes with larger diameter rotors. Its a leverage thing, like a 3/8" ratchet vs a 1/2" ratchet. The greater the diameter of the rotor, the more braking power you can achieve.   

rikubot

Thanks for all of the info guys.

I threw out the C-body stuff as an option. I like the idea of the scarebird stuff, but after buying up the rotors, calipers, and pads for th '94-99 Ram, I fear I'd meet or exceed the $440 price of the setup I found on eBay. I did message the seller and he said the rotors are 11" and the spindles were forged. What's a good disc size for a powerful brake?

Yeah it looks like the willwood stuff is aroud 7-800 but is dual piston I Believe. I just want my baby to be good at stopping because the throttle gets stuck occasionally (wink wink  :thumbs: )
'69 Charger, 440/727

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html