News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Forged pistons in hellcat?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 10, 2015, 07:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

People told me there are forged pistons in hellcat engines to handle the 707HP because regular pistons wont work for superchargers?

Then this guy at 1:42 saids its a high strength 356 alloy material? 
https://youtu.be/Rh-z-0aeEhg

is that forged meaning to a lot of people?

Baldwinvette77

"The powder-forged steel connecting rods have cracked bearing caps for more secure clamping. New forged-aluminum pistons withstand more than 21,000 pounds of combustion pressure. The 24-mm wrist pins have a diamondlike coating for minimal friction"

From a spec. article  :scratchchin:

If your question has to do with you supercharging your 68, remember you really should lower your compression ratio to like 8:1 (alot of people either put thicker head gaskets, or file down the compression rings) and you need much stronger crank main bearings,stock won't survive force induction, but im not sure what you currently have.

myk

I was wondering about his current setup, also...

skip68

Me too.   At 10+~1 compression I think you'll definitely end up with a "blown" motor.    :rofl:   
Pun intended.   I'm not an expert on blowers but I know you should be in the 7-8 range for compression.   Beeeeeeeee careful.    :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

myk

He can have my low 'comp motor if it'll help, lol...

Baldwinvette77

although a lame car, good examples of a N/A and Forced induction are those supercharged pontiac grand ams, why? because alot of people take the blower off a junkyard car, stick it on a 3.4; impala or whatever and feel like it will work, however, there are literally 2 differences between a N/A 3.4 and super 3.4, The N/A has flat pistons, the Super has dish pistons that look like ashtrays in the cylinders, Then the 2nd thing is that the boosted engine has super strong crank main bearings, all the force of the blower gets sent to those bearings and stock ones designed for  no boost will get wiped out.

i know alot of people who just increase the compression ring gap, so you lose compression that way, but you better have a good pcv system, or a big ass breather on each valve cover  :rofl: gotta change your oil sooner too  ::)

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on November 10, 2015, 07:46:01 AM
"The powder-forged steel connecting rods have cracked bearing caps for more secure clamping. New forged-aluminum pistons withstand more than 21,000 pounds of combustion pressure. The 24-mm wrist pins have a diamondlike coating for minimal friction"

If your question has to do with you supercharging your 68, remember you really should lower your compression ratio to like 8:1 (alot of people either put thicker head gaskets, or file down the compression rings) and you need much stronger crank main bearings,stock won't survive force induction, but im not sure what you currently have.

No has nothing to do with my 68, lmao but if u want it something to do with my 68 no problem.

Im curious about the hellcat engine...my friend bought one and is not happy with 707hp.  He wanrs 1100hp to wheels....so he is buying a new supercharger.   Long story short im curious how oong his car is gonn last with 1100hp to wheels....

He has spent 10k in rims and wheels first week and then spent 30k on a new setup for 1100hp to wheels.  It's pretty sick looking hell at, but I told him is the engine gonna be able to handle it?

1974dodgecharger

I'm glad u guys care so much about my puny 383 I know u bigger block guys don't care, lol......

Just do a search on my 383 u will find the specs....and if I blow my engine who cares...there's ton of 440s lying around that I can blow up........

I hate my car anyways can't sell it for 3k..... :icon_smile_big:

ws23rt

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 11, 2015, 04:38:50 PM

No has nothing to do with my 68, lmao but if u want it something to do with my 68 no problem.

Im curious about the hellcat engine...my friend bought one and is not happy with 707hp.  He wanrs 1100hp to wheels....so he is buying a new supercharger.   Long story short im curious how oong his car is gonn last with 1100hp to wheels....

He has spent 10k in rims and wheels first week and then spent 30k on a new setup for 1100hp to wheels.  It's pretty sick looking hell at, but I told him is the engine gonna be able to handle it?

Is your friend going to be happy with a mere 1100hp to the wheels?   Is this a test to see what breaks first/next? :lol:  I would expect his engine to be just fine until he finds the weak link ;)

skip68

I'll give you $3,000 for your car.   By the way, 383 is a big block.   :nana:

Hudson Hornet !

1974DodgeCharger,  you have a pm
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ws23rt on November 11, 2015, 04:55:20 PM

He has spent 10k in rims and wheels first week and then spent 30k on a new setup for 1100hp to wheels.  It's pretty sick looking hell at, but I told him is the engine gonna be able to handle it?

Is your friend going to be happy with a mere 1100hp to the wheels?   Is this a test to see what breaks first/next? :lol:  I would expect his engine to be just fine until he finds the weak link ;)

Hard to say he wants the highest ho hellcat I  Arizona or the world and he has the money....he has talked to whipper supercharger makers and kennel bell.  He has gone with a kennel bell and gave them the money for it.  I'll post some info on it but kennel bell has stages for hellcat owners now like 800, 900hp, etc...they told him 1100hp to wheel and probably 1300 or more to fly but I told him don't worry about fly, to wheel is what matters in the streets. 

I thought forged meant steel like a steel crank....and I googled its aluminum.  Didn't think aluminum could be called forged?

The 1100rwh is with a e85 tune......

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: skip68 on November 11, 2015, 06:30:23 PM
I'll give you $3,000 for your car.   By the way, 383 is a big block.   :nana:

Redhead step child of big blocks  :icon_smile_big:

skip68

Kern Dog

He has spent 10k in rims and wheels first week and then spent 30k on a new setup for 1100hp to wheels.  It's pretty sick looking hell at, but I told him is the engine gonna be able to handle it?

Sounds like your buddy is difficult to please. If he had 12" hanging, he'd probably still order pills and a pump to take it to 15 inches. It must suck to never be satisfied.

myk

I agree with the pills and the pump.  Like a famous medieval warrior once said, " F 'em, F 'em till they die..."

Chad L. Magee

The diamond-like coating could be either a diamond thin film (DTF) material or a metal nitride composite.  The DTF materials are basically a very thin layer of diamond on the metal surface, some are pure carbon while others are not (purposely doped).  It is put on by a vapor diffusion processes starting with certain hydrocarbon gases.  These coatings are extremely strong, but can crack if hit in the wrong place much like a large diamond would.  NASCAR racers have been using this material inside engines (for durability) for about a decade or so....

(I have been working on a process that would convert plastic wastes into diamond composite materials directly, so I have been watching this area for a while now.)
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......