News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mothball Smell Duration

Started by HeavyFuel, November 12, 2015, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

A car that I'm interested in buying has had mothballs in it for about the last six years.   The smell is strong.

Do any of you have direct experience regarding how long the smell lasts, and if it ever completely goes away?   I've researched all of the snake oil and home brewed remedies.......I'm not interested in adding more odors to the existing one.

I believe the chemical impregnates the materials of the interior.  The interior of this car is cherry, so its not coming out, hence the question on how long the smell lasts.

Thanks.

keith88

If you take it out of the environment i will go away in time but i might take a while,make sure you get all the remnants out have it outside in open air.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Dino

It needs heat to clear the gas left by the mothballs.  Parking it in the hot sun with the doors open does the trick, but I'm not sure you're anywhere near a hot sun these days.  Don't crawl in the car with a heat gun though, the fumes are toxic.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lord Warlock

If you can rid the smell of rat urine and feces from a car, you will be able to get the smell of moth balls out.  Air it out often, after making sure source of smell is gone.  A few rat hairs in the car is enough to make me search out and clean.  Can't stand that odor.  (you'd be amazed how much rat turds can fit in a headliner. )
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

polywideblock

try the old painters trick , buy half a dozen large  potato's.  cut in quarters and place through car, seal and  leave for a day then remove .potato's should have sucked up the smell   :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Mytur Binsdirti

Chad L. Magee

Ahh, the wonderful smell of either naphthalene or 1,4-dichlorobenzene.  As mentioned previously, open the car up on a sunny day (or a warm garage with a window) to allow for the vapors to escape.  Both substances sublime at room temperatures, so a hot day will push them towards the vapor phase....

I have heard of the cut potato being used before but never tried it out to see if it would work....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

HeavyFuel

Thanks for the tips.   I'll probably pass on this car for other reasons, but the info might come in handy some other time. 

Sounds like sunshine, fresh air, and time are the keys.