News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For the charger

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 08, 2015, 01:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

myk

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on November 08, 2015, 01:55:04 AM
Just....WOW

because 500HP was not enough  ::) and I cant afford a 572 HEMI that puts out 700HP crate engine  :rotz:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mopar Nut

Impressive very impressive!

Can't wait for the install and hear a video.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

I guess the OP and the maker of that blower are on good terms, now...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on November 08, 2015, 06:55:25 AM
I guess the OP and the maker of that blower are on good terms, now...

LONG story short...YES!!!! 

Ghoste

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: skip68 on November 08, 2015, 07:44:32 AM
Any HP estimates?   

Lowest boost possible 700hp.  Will find out once I get it on dyno once all complete. ....I pr3dict to wheels 550 to 600 because I rebuilt my whole drivtrain......means im horrible.

Lennard

That's a nice piece of bling :drool5:

nvrbdn

now that truly shows you have a great relationship with her. :cheers:

Kinda makes me tear up.  :rofl:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

myk

Now I'm not too familiar with FI setups, but is this the sort of blower that keeps everything under the hood, or will this thing and it's carbs be sticking out of the hood?

crj1968

Lennard

Quote from: myk on November 08, 2015, 09:09:24 AM
Now I'm not too familiar with FI setups, but is this the sort of blower that keeps everything under the hood, or will this thing and it's carbs be sticking out of the hood?
By the looks of it, he will have to cut a hole in his hood. :icon_smile_big:

myk

Damn.  I hope he goes fiberglass or runs without a hood, then...

70 sublime

Think he would just run with no hood .  I think I have seen as many pictures of his blue Charger with out the hood as with  :icon_smile_cool:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

WHITE AND RED 69

Nice!!!   :o   Can't wait to see that beauty installed!   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on November 08, 2015, 09:09:24 AM

old school roots blower myk with dual 750 carbs sticking past the hood...think madmax, fast and furious, etc....

69wannabe

Got to really build the bottom end to handle that blower, I am sure the guy told you how the engine had to be built to hold up to the forced induction. Billet main cap's with main stud's, H beam rods with very low compression pistons (7.5 to 1) i'm guessing and a steel crankshaft. Head stud's with really good head gasket's and a really good blower style or nitrous stall converter. We done a dyer's blower on a 440 several year's back and ran it with 8 lbs of boost and it ran good but with all that was spent I thought the dyno numbers would have been better. 475 horses to the rear wheels was a bit low I thought but that was the numbers it spit out. The biggest thing was the converter wasn't made for a blown engine and the dyno guy was afraid to swap the pulley's to get 14 lbs of boost out of it because the converter may come apart so that was it. I tried to convince my buddy to get a converter for it but It was on the sale block soon and didn't make no difference either way. He had a good foundation for some real power but he jumped from car to car so often it really didn't matter. If it wasn't instantly perfect (which most old car's are not and require tuning) then he would just trade it for something else. It may take you some doing but when you get it right you will have some crazy HP there!!! Just stay with it and keep working with it til you get it the way you want it!!!!

Baldwinvette77

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 69wannabe on November 08, 2015, 08:57:19 PM
Got to really build the bottom end to handle that blower, I am sure the guy told you how the engine had to be built to hold up to the forced induction. Billet main cap's with main stud's, H beam rods with very low compression pistons (7.5 to 1) i'm guessing and a steel crankshaft. Head stud's with really good head gasket's and a really good blower style or nitrous stall converter. We done a dyer's blower on a 440 several year's back and ran it with 8 lbs of boost and it ran good but with all that was spent I thought the dyno numbers would have been better. 475 horses to the rear wheels was a bit low I thought but that was the numbers it spit out. The biggest thing was the converter wasn't made for a blown engine and the dyno guy was afraid to swap the pulley's to get 14 lbs of boost out of it because the converter may come apart so that was it. I tried to convince my buddy to get a converter for it but It was on the sale block soon and didn't make no difference either way. He had a good foundation for some real power but he jumped from car to car so often it really didn't matter. If it wasn't instantly perfect (which most old car's are not and require tuning) then he would just trade it for something else. It may take you some doing but when you get it right you will have some crazy HP there!!! Just stay with it and keep working with it til you get it the way you want it!!!!

thanks for the info...seems it varies a lot..known a old fart with a some similar build as mine had 800HP, but drove it for nearly 10 years took it apart and everything was fine..he rebuilt it up for 1k HP.  Then I hear guys show said they added octane 115 and blew up their engine  :smilielol:

I talked to my engine builder he ARP bolt/stud the whole engine and he guessed the C.R. at 10.5, but he said its probably lower since he was able to tune it with 87 octane with no pining at 500HP (383 to wheels on dyno with bad carb) so he said it will be able to handle 5lbs of boost...8lbs If im careful overall he said the 383 should be fine as long as I don't push it constantly....most people with blowers do burn outs at every stop sign to show off, hard accelerate to show off, etc....I hardly ever do burn outs in my car alone and most people told me by now my 383 should be dead, but has over 25k miles on it  ::)

off the top of my head my build:

eddy rpm heads 88cc
stock rockers
steel crank
KB pistons (hypertetenic)

I can keep going, but I do it have listed somewhere on  this forum.  My weak link I was told by Hampton is the pistons..he said if you plan to run high boost like 10lbs those ring lands will bust...at 10lbs that be nearly double what I want anyways....im aiming for 5lbs that's the lowest he said that blower will go.... :icon_smile_big:  hence estimate 700HP....

69wannabe

Yeah, the pistons are a weak point for sure. 5 lbs of boost would be all I would toss at it with that much compression already there. I have had a few 383's and built a few for other people and they are tough for sure!!! I drove mine for three years before I swapped in the 440 and it got treated pretty rough!! Went through several clutches since I was alot younger then and was not aware of the treasure I was driving. I have a 493 ci in it now and have slowed my driving down for the most part but the hp is there if I need it!! Good luck with the blower install!!!

skip68

Honestly my opinion is at 4 lbs of boost you're dancing with the devil.   You've gotta lower that compression ratio.    :Twocents:

skip68

:cheers:

Brass

Forged pistons would be better for boost too.

69wannabe

Looking at the chart this is why the guy at dyer's blower's had us build the 440 with 7.5 to 1 compression with 8 lbs of boost. Like skip say's at 4 lbs of boost you will be pushing the 383 pass the point of rescue. If you plan on a blower you have to build the engine for it. My buddy had a pile of money tied up in his 440/blower build, IMO for a few more thousand bucks he could have a nice 528 hemi with alot less problems. Great chart skippy, I knew someone on here would have some good info on this blower stuff. I hope this guy isn't just trying to make a sale and toast your engine after a short run time....

skip68

:cheers:  years ago I had a crazy idea of doing a blower on my 440.  A guy had a complete setup for sale cheap but my motor was around 10.5 to 1 and he said I'll blow the motor.   I think it was cudaken here that's done some blowers and had some bad issues if I remember correctly.   I did research and pretty much the common consensus is compression ratio needs to be 7 to 8-1.    Just want you to be careful, not trying to discourage you.     :cheers:   
Do your own research and education on blowers.   Don't just listen to one guy.    :Twocents:

69wannabe

Just as you say, don't just listen to one person!! Do some research and know the do's and do not's on this blower thing. I am no blower professional at all, i am very old school when it comes to charger's and a good cam, carb and distributor is what I can usually work well with. Hate to see someone trying to get some more out of their engine and blow it all to pieces and you will spend double the cash to start over. More cubic inches makes good dependable power without power adder's. Blower's,supercharger's,turbo's, and nitrous will make crazy power and torque but if your engine isn't built exactly for it then the engine's life will be very short i'm afraid. I really wasn't impressed with my buddy's charger he had all that stuff on and in the summer time he couldn't keep it from running hot and it just didn't perform as he expected. A strong built 500 inch stroker RB would have dusted that thing sad to say. It looked cool tho.....

1974dodgecharger

Well like I said I talked to a guy who had 10.5 to 1 ran it for 8 years in 5lbs of boost had 800hp in his 383.  Almost same build as mine but my compression is lower than his......

It be interesting......

If anything goes it will by Pistons ring lands.....KB Pistons website saids the hypertetenitc pistons will hold for boost, but will blow on detonation immiedaitely not as forgiving as forged.   I asked around about hypers vs forged under detonation everyone saids same thing under detonination forged holds better, but then I asked who drives around with constant detonation? I guess it's common?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargd72

You don't have to be 7-8 to 1 when running a supercharger.  If you're in the 9 range you can run 8lbs all day.  I've seen this chart posted a couple time lately and though it is a good reference guide, it is not just about the compression itself.  There are a lot more variables to consider that play a role in detonation.  Timing, air temperature, fuel type, octane level, meth injection, alky....  Turbos require a much lower compression ratio (around 7-8 to 1) because they produce a lot more heat than a supercharger.  Even with an air cooler.  If you can keep air at a somewhat ambient state with your blower you will be fine.  I'm building my 9 to 1 motor to handle 10-12 lbs of boost with a centrifugal supercharger and an air cooler.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: chargd72 on November 14, 2015, 03:44:42 PM
You don't have to be 7-8 to 1 when running a supercharger.  If you're in the 9 range you can run 8lbs all day.  I've seen this chart posted a couple time lately and though it is a good reference guide, it is not just about the compression itself.  There are a lot more variables to consider that play a role in detonation.  Timing, air temperature, fuel type, octane level, meth injection, alky....  Turbos require a much lower compression ratio (around 7-8 to 1) because they produce a lot more heat than a supercharger.  Even with an air cooler.  If you can keep air at a somewhat ambient state with your blower you will be fine.  I'm building my 9 to 1 motor to handle 10-12 lbs of boost with a centrifugal supercharger and an air cooler.

awesome to hear....im running methanol injection also  :icon_smile_big: