News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Temp at detonation....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 09, 2015, 10:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Is it true detonation only happens at high temps? Can detonation happen if your cruising along and your temp saids 185 degrees and boom and bam detonation just suddenly happens and you blow your engine?

Or does it happened when you see that temp gauge creep up to 240 then 260 and then BAM detonation and blows up?

Kern Dog

There is validity to the theory. When my Charger had the detonation problems, it ran fantastic and knock free when the weather was cold or when I first started the car in warm weather.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 10, 2015, 12:28:24 AM
There is validity to the theory. When my Charger had the detonation problems, it ran fantastic and knock free when the weather was cold or when I first started the car in warm weather.

I was thinking this the other night...most cars I hear or saw that detonated the temps was exceedlying high and thought hmm...such as high compressin will make the temps go up, running lean can run temps up also, etc...seems it all back stems to temp as a indicator of engine detonation.

John_Kunkel

Diesels detonate when the engine is stone cold. Too many variables to form a general link to temperature/detonation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

We like to think of Carburetors as a "perfect" and a linear metering device...
but really,
think of what happens when Engine temps increase, as it relates to the "density" of the A/F charge delivered through the hotter Intake & Heads to the combustion chamber ?
Extremely, or OUT of stoichiometric A/F mixtures can burn erratically for a given timing advance curve.

F.I. / computer systems can "adjust" timing and fuel pulse rates in real time for air density, backup with knock sensors, etc., etc.
but,
poor old carburetors... with "static" and SET timing curves ?
well,
The hotter you get.... the leaner A/F that gets delivered through the hotter Intake/Heads, causing your timing to be OFF ! (ping-ping-ping)

You can cheat the power numbers on a Dyno the same way ? just start the run with the Head temp down around 120* TO MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPIER.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

1974dodgecharger

My Fairlane use to ping fairly bad and lose power when the engine was heat soaked from long runs in hot weather. Cool weather not a problem.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 440 on November 13, 2015, 06:48:07 AM
My Fairlane use to ping fairly bad and lose power when the engine was heat soaked from long runs in hot weather. Cool weather not a problem.
Good indo 440 my theory seems right....