News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No more purple on purple shaft cams

Started by BLK 68 R/T, November 05, 2015, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLK 68 R/T

I was researching cams last night and saw that purple shaft cams are no longer purple? how long has that been the case?

Ghoste

Were they ever purple?  I seem to recall them as just having a stripe of purple painted at one end.  :shruggy:

ODZKing

No they were actually kind of purple, at least the ones I'd seen.

Ghoste

Cool.  As far as not being purple any longer, I'm surprised they still sell the grinds at all given the lack of enthusiasm within the company for motorsports in general and the fact they haven't updated those cams in decades.

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2015, 12:45:51 PM
Cool.  As far as not being purple any longer, I'm surprised they still sell the grinds at all given the lack of enthusiasm within the company for motorsports in general and the fact they haven't updated those cams in decades.
SRT is in full swing as far as I know.  But I'll tell ya, I had a friend a few years back with a 67 Belvedere II, 318 with a purple cam. That thing would HAUL! I had trouble keeping up with him in my 383.

Ghoste

Yeah all true enough, but there are some much better grinds on the market today from the aftermarket.

c00nhunterjoe

Newer is not always better, at least not in all cases. Alot of the "new" and "modern" grinds are not my 1st choice for a street car. When i choose a cam for a street car, i am not just looking at power and low end performance. I want longevity as well. Many of the "new" grinds are great in the fact that they take full advantage of mopars large lifters. The downside to that is a fast rate ramp. While great for powerbands, if you are not careful, longevity can be comprimised. Im not saying they are bad, im just saying be careful.
    The best option in my opinion, is always a custom grind. Off the shelf cams are just that.... off the shelf, generic if you will. They fit a wide range of options. The max potential and driveability should be custom selected for your exact build, or if you select a standard grind, be sure your engine is being built to the cam. I see 90% of complaints be thrown at the cam, its not the cams fault, its the person who selected it.
   We talk about purpleshaft being outdated, lol, our entire cars are outdated. I had a purple cam in my 440 belvedere. The 484 version with tight lobe, not the modern wider version. It was a tire burner (drag radials) and went low 12s all day long on stock 906s that i gasket matched myself, 3.55s and a converter that flashed at roughly 2600. Fwiw, that cam was used, and was not purple, just had a stripe on it.

Ghoste

Agreed.  I didn't say they all were better.  ;)

BLK 68 R/T

So maybe they used to be all purple, then a stripe, and now nothing? This is only relevant to me because I'm trying to help my brother figure out what cam was installed in his engine when he had it built (2009) he requested the "509 purple mopar cam" along with 10 to 1 pistons. And we can find no evidence of purple on it. His car does not run like it should and if the engine builder did install a 509 cam in it along with the 8.5 to 1 slugs that they installed then I don't think that is the best combination.

Ghoste

Could be.  I had one that was from the late 90's and it just had a stripe.   :shruggy:

c00nhunterjoe

Color is irrelevant, whats the grind number on it?

BLK 68 R/T

I don't know what grind # it is. No part # is listed on his receipts that I can find either. To find out for sure what it is, means it would have to be pulled from the engine. Which may or may not happen, depending on which route he decides to go with the motor.

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

c00nhunterjoe

HPP

...and its only the front segment.

I bought a purple shaft in the mid 90s that only had a stripe on it. 

ODZKing

Forgive me for asking but I am unfamiliar with technical stuff on these cams.
I know what they look like but the difference between them is what?
What is "grind" and what does it do?  :popcrn:

Ghoste

The grind is how the lobe was created.  The cam begins as a solid steel shaft and the lobes are made by using a grinder to shape them in their offset pattern.  We use the term "grind" as nickname for the way the offsets (cams) are shaped as the shape and position determines the lift, the speed valves are open and closed, when they are open and closed etc.
The Purple Shaft series are a nickname (actually an official title I guess) that Chrysler gave their performance camshafts back in the Direct Connection days (perhaps even the "Hustle Stuff" days?).  They desginated them with a little purple paint as a marketing tool really.  Two cams from Chrysler for the same engine can both be Purple Shaft cams but have VERY different specs.

Mebsuta

Mine had some purple paint towards the front.  Like the picture above, it turns pink after it's been in the motor a while.  I don't care if they're purple or pink.  You can't see them once you install them anyway. 

1974dodgecharger

everyone hates the 509 cam, but they all LOVE the sound  :icon_smile_big:

Rolling_Thunder

the 509 cam with the wider LSA was a little more street friendly...      but who needs vac at idle?   Do some squats and run a 4-speed with manual brakes.  :nana:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 15, 2015, 07:36:37 AM
the 509 cam with the wider LSA was a little more street friendly...      but who needs vac at idle?   Do some squats and run a 4-speed with manual brakes.  :nana:

Or change the master cylinder and run discs on the front. My car stops great with manual brakes and 1 foot.... also, have you driven a big block, 4 speed charger? They are SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!  :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 15, 2015, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 15, 2015, 07:36:37 AM

Or change the master cylinder and run discs on the front. My car stops great with manual brakes and 1 foot.... also, have you driven a big block, 4 speed charger? They are SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!  :cheers:

You just described my car setup, lmao....

Nacho-RT74

I got a NOS 440 resto HP cam from an old dealer locally ( probably stock from early or mids 80s,  it was hard to find the PN application since was a superseded one ) and a way newer ( maybe 5 years ago ? ) 280/474 and both were same painted, purple on front end.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

timmycharger

Here is a pic of my wall art 292/509 cam, vintage late 90's I believe.  I'm running the 284/484 version in my 440. Vacuum is terrible but it pulls like a beast.