News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW

Started by comet_666, November 09, 2015, 08:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

I am pretty sure I am going to be selling my 4 speed set up.
23 spline with pedal asembly, bellhousing, shifter, z bar , trans mount.
I rebuilt the trans and it has about 300 miles on it, shifted perfect. It's out of my 69.

Thoughts?

303 Mopar

I'd be interested.  Are you anywhere near Denver?
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

comet_666

myk

Why are you selling the 4 speed?

comet_666

Had a 727 built for it. I don't really want to sell it is but just sitting in my basement now collecting dust. Could use the $ to finish this project.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

comet_666

Wow..that is quite a bit more than I thought  :shruggy:

Lennard

Quote from: comet_666 on November 09, 2015, 11:04:52 PM
Wow..that is quite a bit more than I thought  :shruggy:

Yeah, me too. I was thinking around two grand.

hemi-hampton

Yeah, me to. Isn't the more exspensive Hemi 4 speed Manual Trans a 18 spline? LEON.

Kern Dog

I think I'll buy it for $2000 and sell it to Skip68 for a profit.   :smilielol:

skip68

:D
Deal.  I believe they were $2k-$2,500 several years ago so I figured around $3k for a complete setup today.     :Twocents: :nana:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Lennard

Troy

Need a tiny bit more info...

In general, the transmission itself is worth ~$300-1,100. The lower number if it's a good, clean used box the higher if you can prove it's rebuilt (basically new). But no one is going to pay an individual the same amount they would to Passon or Brewer's for a brand new rebuild. Pedal assemblies are about $100-250 (again with the higher number being rebuilt/new). Depending on the bell housing (assuming 11" iron for this application) you could get $100-250. The z-bar ~$20-50 depending on condition. If you mean "transmission cross member" (not just the mount) it's about $100. The shifter box itself is $100-200 depending on condition. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $3,000 unless it was an 18-spline and/or came with the shifter handle, complete console, shift rods, inspection cover, clutch, and flywheel.

The last nice, complete setup I bought had everything to install in a car (except the hump, z-bar bracket, and clutch/pp which I already had). It was an E Body 23 spline with 10.5" bell/flywheel and I paid $1,100. I though it was a decent deal. I may have gone as high as $1,300-1,400 if the pedals and shifter box been rebuilt.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

skip68

I'm presuming he's selling everything.  Complete setup including even the drive shaft because he's switching to auto.    :shruggy:

Troy

Quote from: skip68 on November 10, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
I'm presuming he's selling everything.  Complete setup including even the drive shaft because he's switching to auto.    :shruggy:
Um, why would you need to change the drive shaft? Same length for A833 and 727.

And I was reading from the list of parts in the first post: "23 spline with pedal asembly, bellhousing, shifter, z bar , trans mount."

I could assume it comes with the clutch, clutch fork, throwout bearing, pressure plate, flywheel, shift rods, shifter handle, clutch rod, over center spring, inspection cover, and all hardware but that's a quick way to get in trouble. Some of that stuff is $$$ so mentioning it will certainly bring the value up.

Troy

skip68

My bad.  I thought the drive shafts were different lengths. 

comet_666

I'm trying to get locate the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch, just a matter of finding it in the shop it is in. Shifter does have the linkage / rods, I have the clutch fork, spring and bearing. No inspection cover and no frame mount. It worked perfectly but has been out fo the car for 8 years. I'm going to clean it up this weekend. I really don't want to sell it but I don't want a perfectly good 4 speed appembly sitting around forever either.

Troy

Quote from: skip68 on November 10, 2015, 01:01:40 PM
My bad.  I thought the drive shafts were different lengths. 
The 904 (small block automatic) is shorter so if you're going from 318/auto to any 4-speed you'd need to do something about the long drive shaft. Any 727 to 4-speed is fine. I think there may be a small factory difference (1/4"?) but there is enough "wiggle room" to make up for it.

Quote from: comet_666 on November 10, 2015, 01:39:57 PM
I'm trying to get locate the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch, just a matter of finding it in the shop it is in. Shifter does have the linkage / rods, I have the clutch fork, spring and bearing. No inspection cover and no frame mount. It worked perfectly but has been out fo the car for 8 years. I'm going to clean it up this weekend. I really don't want to sell it but I don't want a perfectly good 4 speed appembly sitting around forever either.
That's definitely helpful! A buyer is still going to see the transmission as "used/unknown" most likely so I'd be surprised if you could get more than $300 for it alone. Pop open the cover and show guts that are clean and free of burrs/wear and that may climb to $500. Flywheel ~$100. Clutch and PP will depend on brand/wear so maybe $150-300? Rods are about $100 new so less than that. Most people will (should) replace the throwout bearing unless it's basically brand new so that may or may not net any extra cash. The pedal overcenter spring could be anywhere from $20-100. Fork ~$20-30 I think. If the boot is good that helps. So add all that together then figure the normal buyer will want 10-20% off for a "package price". You may want to check eBay and some forums to see if the individual pieces have gone up or down in price compared to what I listed.

Troy