News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chargers at SEMA 2015

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, November 04, 2015, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

Seems like there are only a couple of chargers at the SEMA show this year. Most have been around for a while but its always nice to see em. Was hoping there would be some announcements on some new mopar parts but it doesn't look like much.

I really like this black/carbon fiber 68/70. I'm hoping they actually drive this one.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

:drool5:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

And General Mayhem finally got the correct tail lights back on   :2thumbs:

Also this crazy 69 with a huge blower
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

Couple other random shots that cars that most have seen.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Baldwinvette77

67440chrg

Mopar Nut

Sweet!   :popcrn:

Thanks for the pictures!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

six-tee-nine

Thanks for sharing.

The first one is a bit over the top for me but I can appreciate the mods on the red/orange one, really tastefull imo.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

PlainfieldCharger

:cheers: Thanks for posting the pics! :2thumbs:

cincyboy

Wow, so you got to go?  I love that black/gray 70. I thought the Detroit speed car was over the top but dang!  I strangely like the Furious 7 car but I heard they were all destroyed but 1 and all had LS motors with 350 Trans.  :brickwall:    Does anyone else find these shows discouraging at times because like racing, it seems the one with the most money wins.  Hence the Rat rod movement I guess ......but even that is going high end now.  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Yes, I think the rat rod thing will soon hit its peak.  I wonder what the next fad will be.

crj1968

That first one is crazy- looking at the engine confuses me.   ;D

Mike DC

QuoteYes, I think the rat rod thing will soon hit its peak.  I wonder what the next fad will be.

That depends on how you define "rat rod".  Most of what the press calls rat rods are more like $50,000 cars with flat paint.  ('m not dissing that, just saying.)  

Frieburger's General Mayhem is the genuine article.  You still don't see that very often with the really popular 2dr 67-71 bodystyles.

Ghoste

I agree Mike, true "rat rods" have always been around and always will be.  I was thinking more about the faux distressed ones.

JR

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

crj1968

Stevearino

Alot of money and effort to once again prove you better be very careful if you think you can improve the look of a Gen 2 Charger.   :rotz:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: cincyboy on November 05, 2015, 08:14:31 AM
Wow, so you got to go?  I love that black/gray 70. I thought the Detroit speed car was over the top but dang!  I strangely like the Furious 7 car but I heard they were all destroyed but 1 and all had LS motors with 350 Trans.  :brickwall:    Does anyone else find these shows discouraging at times because like racing, it seems the one with the most money wins.  Hence the Rat rod movement I guess ......but even that is going high end now.  :shruggy:

Sadly no, I just pulled some pictures that I found on the web of the chargers at the show.

Quote from: JR on November 05, 2015, 12:27:22 PM
Found the details of the carbon fiber 70. It's named "Tantrum".

http://m.autoevolution.com/carbon-fiber-1970-dodge-charger-with-immaculate-mercury-racing-engine-debuts-at-sema-2015-video-101755.html

I didn't realize they changed the taillights? Guess I found last years photo. Damn, that was one of my favorite parts of the car.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Brass

Lennard

Quote from: Stevearino on November 05, 2015, 01:22:55 PM
Alot of money and effort to once again prove you better be very careful if you think you can improve the look of a Gen 2 Charger.   :rotz:
Agreed, I like the General Mayhem the most and it was probably the cheapest one to build. :icon_smile_big:

odcics2

Quote from: Stevearino on November 05, 2015, 01:22:55 PM

X2. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

472 R/T SE

WHITE AND RED 69, with the quality of work your ride has, I would think one of the manufacturers of one of your mods would want to showcase your ride?   :shruggy:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 05, 2015, 06:05:18 PM
WHITE AND RED 69, with the quality of work your ride has, I would think one of the manufacturers of one of your mods would want to showcase your ride?   :shruggy:

Thanks Mike but my car doesn't have the fit and finish or the paint job that these showcase cars do. These cars have teams of professionals working on em, I'm just a chump working in a home garage  :lol:   

It would be nice to get some free parts though.   :scratchchin:   Maybe I should call up Baer and try to get some free 6 piston calipers.  :lol:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

BrianShaughnessy

Really cool!   Thanks for posting.   :2thumbs:

So many of us will probably never get to go to SEMA  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

moparstuart

that first 68/70 charger  they sure made the grille look more like a torino then a charger 500
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Lennard

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 06, 2015, 08:04:39 AM
Really cool!   Thanks for posting.   :2thumbs:

So many of us will probably never get to go to SEMA  :P
It's really not that difficult to get in. You just need to know someone that is in the car business and willing to apply for a ticket for you.
One of my buddies has a shop and did it for me.

Ghoste

Quote from: moparstuart on November 06, 2015, 09:00:57 AM
that first 68/70 charger  they sure made the grille look more like a torino then a charger 500

Thats what I immediately thought too Stuart.

JB400

The company that built the 70.  http://speedkore.com/

They're the same ones that built the 70 with the Challenger tail lights a couple years ago.

VegasCharger

Thanks Clayton for sharing :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I literally live 5 miles from where they have the Sema event but cannot get in :brickwall:

Glad you were able to attend :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Quote from: Lennard on November 05, 2015, 01:55:38 PM
Agreed, I like the General Mayhem the most and it was probably the cheapest one to build. :icon_smile_big:

I bet you General Mayhem drew more attention than the 68/70 carbon fiber Charger.

Kern Dog

Quote from: JB400 on November 07, 2015, 02:03:56 AM
The company that built the 70.  http://speedkore.com/

They're the same ones that built the 70 with the Challenger tail lights a couple years ago.

While the grille does look different, this seems like an instance where the builder didn't improve on the original design. Changing something simply because they can seems more about showing off rather than improving on a bad design.

How many people think the 1969 Charger 500 grille looks better than a regular Charger? We all know the Coronet grille was mounted flush to reduce wind resistance, not to improve the appearance.

1970Moparmann

Clayton, I should have checked to see if you were going.  I just got back!  First time...   Unbelievable show!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Stevearino

I would like to see a 69 Charger 500 done up with a grill that is similar in appearance to the 71 with the hide away headlights. The grill work and  hide away headlights are brought forward and enabled the race version to have flush fit grill. The thing is knowing the timeline of car development back in the day this grill and it's mechanical elements were probably at hand in 69 when they put the Coronet grill in the 500. With a little effort they could have had a version of this grill  for styling and aero. :Twocents:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: VegasCharger on November 07, 2015, 02:21:14 AM
Thanks Clayton for sharing :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I literally live 5 miles from where they have the Sema event but cannot get in :brickwall:

Glad you were able to attend :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 07, 2015, 10:31:37 AM
Clayton, I should have checked to see if you were going.  I just got back!  First time...   Unbelievable show!

I didn't get to go,  :'(  I just found the photos online.

Hey Mike, was there any new products that looked cool for our mopars? I saw trick flow released the intake manifold and top end package but don't see any details online?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

wingcar

I am one of the lucky ones that gets the opportunity to attend each year with this year being no exception.  The comment about the big money cars is basically true in that most of the cars on display are way out of the budget of most all of us little guys.  But, they do give you some ideas that us little guys can copy even if the whole car would be out of reach.  This year there were a number of second generation Chargers on display (could it be because of F&F?).  But the Mopar that I saw the most of was the Challenger Hellcat...they were everywhere it seemed.  The Mopar display in my opinion was targeted more towards the Jeep crowd and not as much about performance.  However, they did have two Drag Pak cars and the AWD Challenger concept along with a nice Charger.  For those that can't get in there is the Friday night "SEMA Ignited" after show party where all the cars are on display for all to see.  Of course they charge for the show.....(If you know of any auto shops and or distributors in your area that are SEMA members...become friends with them and perhaps they will get you a "Guest Pass"...just an idea for those that would like to attend).   
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Mike DC

QuoteHowever, they did have two Drag Pak cars and the AWD Challenger concept along with a nice Charger.

I've been wondering low long it would take them to do that.  The hardware would mostly already exist.  But I doubt it would raise too much excitement though.  The AWD market isn't the musclecar market. 

Making AWD a standard feature would be a good way to increase the curb weight though.  That seems to be their ultimate goal with those cars.  Maybe they'll start using iron heads & intakes on the Hemi motors next year.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 09, 2015, 01:09:51 PM
The AWD market isn't the musclecar market. 

36 years ago every car manufacturer involved in rallying said exaclty the same "AWD for rally cars? naaah, too heavy..."
Until Audi proved otherwise by beating the fastest car in a race by more than 9 minutes on their first entry

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Mike DC

Yeah I know.  The Quattro spanked the hell out of everyone else when it came out.  Legendary car. Legendary era in WRC.    

But Ford was still selling hundreds of thousands of solid-axle Mustangs in 2014.  

The musclecar market still wants aggressive styling, bragging rights in the 1/4 or 0-60, and ability to shred tires at will.  That's why the Hellcat will outsell an AWD option any day of the week.  Big HP numbers sell better than power-to-weight. 

six-tee-nine

That is also a valid point.

If you want a fast car for every purpose you need to buy something Lambo like or an equivalent of it.

Mike DC

True.  

Muscle cars are not sports cars.  Never have been.  Sports cars are smaller/lighter and the whole car is designed (read: compromised) around that purpose.  

Lambos & Ferarris can't cope with a real speed bump or a potholed rust-belt road, though.  Anything that does something very well is bad at something else.