News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new to site, and my '68 Charger Project

Started by gb70, August 09, 2005, 10:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: NYCMille on July 25, 2006, 12:32:16 PM
HA! used to (damn vapor lock)... but everything all sorted out now. I'd drive this car to California tomorrow with no worries whatsoever.

Good - then you can come out here when my car is done so I can take you at Willow Springs...     :devil:

Just kidding man! all in good fun...   i'm sure your car will hand mine its ass with extreme prejudice...   

Gb70 - Nice car you are building...    Matt is a cool guy - never heard any negative things about him...    charger was nice but unrealistic for the every-day man to build...   stance and wheels were a little off in my opinion as well but hey - still a great car.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

chargerhunter

Very intense resto. I love the new with the old!
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

gb70

Some recent progress pictures of my '68 Charger

Brock Samson

looks pretty good,.. but why the corvette steeing wheel and non factory A/C vent locations?.. seem like it would simply fit in there?   
and to my eye that wheel is a no no...  :slap:   :popcrn:

TripleBlackGator

Great Car and excellent work! Which model MSD distributor is that and what control box does it run to? It has a 3 wire connector and a vacuum advance. I didn't think they made one with both. The serpentine system is trick and slick. Did you compare Billet Specialties to March 's system? If so, why did you go with Billet Specialties?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

gb70

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 02, 2007, 07:18:27 PM
looks pretty good,.. but why the corvette steeing wheel and non factory A/C vent locations?.. seem like it would simply fit in there?   

Pretty good?  :rotz: You really need to see it in person as the pics don't do it justice IMO.  I went way away from stock all the way around when you study it. I wanted to go with a non numbers ride to my liking, ie, no QQQ color or black interior, a 472" stroker, Billet Specialities Serpentine Pulley System, power steering added, and yes after market Vintage A/C.  The wheel was just something I liked.  May not be everyones cup of tea but I like it.  This Charger has more touqe and HP then my '70 Cuda that has a Ray Barton 528" hemi.  This car looks as good as its power.  From the pureset point of view I can understand, in fact I am restoring a '70 Challenger RT/SE back to 100% original stock.  This Charger was just done the way I like it. 

Ghoste

Quote from: gb70 on December 02, 2007, 07:45:15 PMFrom the pureset point of view I can understand, in fact I am restoring a '70 Challenger RT/SE back to 100% original stock.  This Charger was just done the way I like it. 

Plenty of room and an important need for both in the hobby.  :yesnod:

gb70

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on December 02, 2007, 07:40:36 PM
Great Car and excellent work! Which model MSD distributor is that and what control box does it run to? It has a 3 wire connector and a vacuum advance. I didn't think they made one with both. The serpentine system is trick and slick. Did you compare Billet Specialties to March 's system? If so, why did you go with Billet Specialties?

The distributor is the MSD "ready to run" series. The box on the firewall is the soft touch rev-limiter. The ready to run is very similiar to an HEI ignition. MSD offers vacuum advance on both the inductive pick-up distributors (2 wire) and the ready to run ( 3 wire)distributors.

I just liked the Billet Specialities more over March's system. 

keepat

Your Charger looks great! I have enjoyed seeing all your updates over the past two years. We both took similar paths with are restorations/customization and in the end the two car are allmost twins. Great job!
Pat

gb70

Quote from: keepat on December 02, 2007, 08:46:50 PM
Your Charger looks great! I have enjoyed seeing all your updates over the past two years. We both took similar paths with are restorations/customization and in the end the two car are allmost twins. Great job!
Pat

Pat,

I got to tell you that you have great taste  :thumbup:   ;D  Seriously though your Charger looks awesome.  We do have twins going on here.

The one real serious mistake that was made on mine was that the paint shop painted my RT stripes on backwards.  I gave them the stencil kit and they got it wrong.   :brickwall: 

Long story short, I had the trunk lid repainted and will order a custom stripe that will have to be 8.25" wide in order to cover up the two smaller stripes on the 1/4's.  I am looking at a silver stripe so that it will not look as noticable.  A ghost stripe if you will. 

I REALLY wish they would have gotten that right. 

SeattleCharger

Man, stripe or whatever, those cars are beautiful.   :drool5:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Chris G.

How do you feel about tiger skin seat covers?  :scratchchin:

Car is gorgeous GB! I love the silver and red (or burgundy) look. Keep the wheel if you want, it's your ride.

Brock Samson

Yes the car is awsome, no i don't like the wheel, I'd do a Tuff,.. big deal, it can be switched ez enuff like my annoying seat covers... most folks wont know the wheel is from a vette either.. i do appreciate the huge amount of work and planning that went into it...
i was just asking,..   :shruggy:

Charger_Fan

I don't mind the 'Vette wheel at all, it's a lot better looking than the dumb Grant wheel I've got in mine.
The rest of the car looks awesome, nice job!! :cheers:

Make sure to show us how your stripe ends up. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

gb70

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 03, 2007, 07:29:22 PM
I don't mind the 'Vette wheel at all, it's a lot better looking than the dumb Grant wheel I've got in mine.
The rest of the car looks awesome, nice job!! :cheers:

Make sure to show us how your stripe ends up. :2thumbs:

Here is the start of the fix it problem. 

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

Nice car. What are the advantages of doing the serpentine belt system besides giving it the clean look? I think it looks awesome but I wonder if there any real performance improvements too? Did it cost a lot? And can you get a setup that uses the original fan?

NorwayCharger

Quote from: gb70 on December 02, 2007, 07:45:15 PM

Pretty good?  :rotz: You really need to see it in person as the pics don't do it justice IMO.  I went way away from stock all the way around when you study it. I wanted to go with a non numbers ride to my liking, ie, no QQQ color or black interior, a 472" stroker, Billet Specialities Serpentine Pulley System, power steering added, and yes after market Vintage A/C.  The wheel was just something I liked.  May not be everyones cup of tea but I like it.  This Charger has more touqe and HP then my '70 Cuda that has a Ray Barton 528" hemi.  This car looks as good as its power.  From the pureset point of view I can understand, in fact I am restoring a '70 Challenger RT/SE back to 100% original stock.  This Charger was just done the way I like it. 

I think your car looks stunning  :drool5:, but the main thing is that YOU are satisfied...
There will always be some old fart that don´t like this or that ;)
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

SeattleCharger

Your thread is cool, but you don't answer or address anyone's questions hardly.  Do you read or look at anyone's comments after you post on here?  You see all the attention and compliments your car and your work are getting?   and your thread has gotten?  impressive 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

six-tee-nine

Man I really like your pulley setup and aftermarket AC compressor stuff.

I also would like to go that way because I Don't like the look of that big truck compressor on top of the engine (sorry OEM fellas  :nana:).
What aftermarket parts did U use here
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bull

gb70

Quote from: bull on January 26, 2008, 01:46:56 AM
Nice car. What are the advantages of doing the serpentine belt system besides giving it the clean look? I think it looks awesome but I wonder if there any real performance improvements too? Did it cost a lot? And can you get a setup that uses the original fan?

Not much other than perhaps 5 more HP.  It is really all about the look however you just have one belt.  Yes, it cost a lot. 
A machinist made the bracketry so that a twin puller fan system could be used since it was and is a very tight fit.

gb70

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on January 26, 2008, 05:42:17 PM
Your thread is cool, but you don't answer or address anyone's questions hardly.  Do you read or look at anyone's comments after you post on here?  You see all the attention and compliments your car and your work are getting?   and your thread has gotten?  impressive 

Sorry guys.  Going through yet another move and have been tied up quite a bit and not on line as much.  Will try to be quicker to reply in the future.  Thanks for the compliments!

gb70

Quote from: six-tee-nine on January 27, 2008, 03:54:41 PM
Man I really like your pulley setup and aftermarket AC compressor stuff.

I also would like to go that way because I Don't like the look of that big truck compressor on top of the engine (sorry OEM fellas  :nana:).
What aftermarket parts did U use here

Billet Specialties Serpentine Billet system w/ AC for 400, 440 applications (bb/rb)
Vintage Air for the AC stuff
Home made bracketry for the support of the fans