News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you know when it's time to change the steering box?

Started by johnnycharger, November 18, 2015, 01:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi guys
Just because it is old? How do I know if I need to replace it? I can only compare the feel to my newer cars and they will never be the same. 

Kern Dog

Rick Ehrenberg has noted that most steering chucks are ready for a rebuild long before 100,000 miles. If you are looking for a more specific symptom, I'll suggest the following:

Excessive leaking
Excessive slop that cannot be adjusted out with the allen screw and locknut on the top side.
The sudden desire to want a tighter, more responsive feel.

He also states that the Rock Auto, O Riellys, Auto Zone, Advance , etc rebuilds are nothing more than cheap re-gasketed and resealed 50 years old stuff. No hard parts are changed. The guys at Firm Feel are the ones to call. They can take a loose feeling stock chuck and add their own springs and stuff to end up with a much better feeling steering gear. I have their Stage 3 version along with the Fast ratio pitman and idler arms. It is a great setup.

johnnycharger

Thanks! Mine isn't leaking much. I do want to go to a firm feel box just not yet. I have slop in the wheel I just don't know where the switch from normal to excessive is. I am guessing mine is borderline.

Dino

Before you check the box, check the column coupler for play.  Cheap fix when needed.  When the coupler is okay, then check the box for play.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

johnnycharger