News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AC, for those who own AC cars is it idle or working

Started by Lord Warlock, October 31, 2015, 07:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

When looking at the small amounts of progress that i'm making, there is always something that sits in the background glaring at me and wondering if I'll ever fix that part too.  My car is an original AC car, when I first got the car, the AC was installed and hooked up, but has never worked once since I've had the car...and that's coming up on 40 years of ownership.

Do most people just drive their car without AC? or do they upgrade the system to a more efficient or lighter weight system so they can drive in comfort?  For the past 20 years, I have to be honest, I rarely use AC when driving around in my daily driver, its usually hot enough to use AC but I prefer being a little warmer most of the time, so I don't mind the high temps as long as a window is down, but this is usually only reserved for short drives around town, If I leave the outskirts of the city, I am going to need AC, that is why I drive a newer car so I have dependable AC, I guess I should be able to suffer a bit without it on the old classic.  I currently have the compressor piece (with pullies) installed only so I can run the belts I already have. 

Keep in mind, my charger has been a yard ornament for over 30 years, and it is just now beginning to take shape and getting to small fixes or improvements to the engine just to make it dependable to run and drive on short trips, or cruises around town.  I anticipate an upgraded alternator and distributor (ordered one, waiting on the other to get in stock) but would like to be able to trust the car to drive me 200 miles to a larger meet if I choose to drive that far.  The further away I start driving the car, the more I will want to have AC as an option. 

Been looking at a few options, my old AC system is pretty much worthless in my eyes, every part of it would need refurbishment, every hose would need replacing, and then rebuilding the heater core may be necessary.  All of that is expensive and more trouble than it may be worth, a newer system like classic air offers looks like it could be an option, but it will detract from the looks of the engine bay with more huge hoses running from the middle of the front of the engine.  Probably willing to admit that a large majority don't need or care about AC, but for those who must live and drive in Florida or some other hot market there must be at least a small percentage that actually use their AC during warm periods of the year.

So, if you got AC do you use it? or is it there, but not really there, like mine is, is it worth fixing?  I saw an ad on ebay for a complete kit of parts hoses etc for only 850 bucks, not bad for a complete system update.  I imagine it would cost more to fix the stock system, how much does that cost?  anyone?

Appreciate input and thoughts.  I may not get my ac working but the car will have all the parts in case the next owner wants it. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

cdr

i have the original ac box set up, but i upgraded the compressor, it works AWESOME, i have to have ac no way around it.

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

I got a couple friends that have the after market AC systems in their cars, like Classic or Vintage...it don't work for crap

myk

Dino

Original box, repro condenser, and upgraded compressor and hoses.  Works like a charm and I will not be without ac ever again, and I'm in Michigan.

If the original look is important then rebuild the compressor and have a shop put barrier hoses on the stock connectors.  It'll look good and work as it should on r134a.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

73 has factory A/C but was missing parts when we got it. It is the ONE thing I made SURE was working.
We got the conversion kit from CCA. It wasn't with out it's issues at first but it is working and works great. Gotta have it for Carlisle!!!   :brickwall:

kab69440

Maybe twice in my life I've owned a car with functional AC. If it was working when I got it, it failed soon afterwards. I spent a craploads of time trying to keep it functional on my old Daytona. I finally gave up. I despise AC almost as much as power windows.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

myk

Kern Dog

My 70 is originally a "500" model, 318, 904, 8.25 axle with bucket seats, console and A/C. The A/C was inop when I got the car. Since the 440 swap in 2001, there have been no A/C stuff on the engine though the thought of installing it still tempts me. Why would anyone  NOT want their car to be comfortable in 100 degree weather? Most everyone has vinyl or leather seats, right? Why the hatred for a good A/C system? You can have tire shredding power and A/C you know...
I've spent lots of time and money trying to make this car perform well and be reasonably comfortable. I see guys with gutted interiors and flowmaster mufflers. No way in hell I'd be happy in a car like that. I like to hear the engine, but I don't want it to be the ONLY thing I hear. Power windows? Why the hell not? New kits weigh about the same as a crank window setup.  I've looked at the Xv power window kit but I am hesitant to drop $900  for that yet. I'd be more likely to add A/C to the car first.

myk

I bet there are cheaper alternatives to the XV kit...

Mike DC

QuoteI got a couple friends that have the after market AC systems in their cars, like Classic or Vintage...it don't work for crap

Unreliable build quality, or just not powerful enough to cool the cabin? 

The biggest gripe I can see against the aftermarket setups is that they don't integrate with the OEM air induction on the cowl.  They only heat/cool air that is being recirculated.   

ODZKing

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 01, 2015, 06:34:40 AM

The biggest gripe I can see against the aftermarket setups is that they don't integrate with the OEM air induction on the cowl.  They only heat/cool air that is being recirculated.   
I'd never considered that Mike, but I would think you are correct.
Mine is the original system, just converted to the new Sanden compressor and hoses.
Weight is about 1/3 of what the original VW engine that was on there from the factory.  :lol:
So I would think that it would perform the same as the original design. As mentioned in another post however, the original compressor has its own thermostat built in so when the system starts to freeze it will cycle.  The new does not so they supply an external thermostat. What they DON'T tell you is it really belongs in the heater box at the evaporator.  Had they mentioned that, I'd already had the box apart. So that didn't work correctly from the start. But I believe I got it worked out and as mentioned, they system works very well. The weak link in the system as far as I can tell is my blower motor. Doesn't run fast enough as far as I am concerned but the older ones didn't, not like the new ones. I thought of trying a newer one from a 90s pick up in there.  Looks like it would bolt right on.  Anyone tried it?

tan top

my AC  set up was pretty much missing  under the hood  , just a few brackets &  water valve left ,   under the dash  all ducting pipes were missing too  , heater box & control panel ok ,   did not bother me at the time  ,  putting the charger back together after I done a nut & bolt resto  , I  went back with the  AC heater box ,  but was kind of bothering  me ,  in that ! I should of sourced a none ac fire wall & a standard heaterbox ,  Chargers /Muscle cars  don't need AC   !!   Buddy Baker & Bobby Isaac never   needed AC  , so I don't need it  either ,    :P ;) )  & a  ( quote from two lane black top ! " don't even have a heater in it !  slows it down "  ;)  ;D :P)
well finally got round to  fitting a standard heaterbox to mine last year  , along with the firewall , well ,  rather than cutting welding ,    I fabricated a bolt on plate , out of a damaged stock none AC firewall , also moved two of the  standard heater box mounting studs to match the AC holes , figuring if ever I want to put my charger back to OEM stock , welding up a few small holes & a small slot  , is far easier  quicker , than the alternative  :scratchchin: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

My R/T is an original AC car as well.  When I bought it all the underhood AC stuff was missing.

About 5 years ago I got the itch to find all the underhood stuff.  The AC suction & discharge lines themselves are 69 and big block only specific.  Pretty hard to find to say the least.

I now have the AC set up back but its for show only.  I never charged it, nor do I feel the need to.  Who knows....one day I might get the itch to get it working ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Pete in NH

I've been working on these old original RV-2 compressor systems for many years and I can tell you the quality level of the components and whole system is way better than any of the newer systems. When these cars were new the AC option was about $400 or close to 10% of the car's cost. For that money you got a really high quality system. heavy brass/copper condenser and evaporator, a thermal expansion valve rather than a cheap orifice tube like today's systems and a compressor that will run forever with a little care. Yes, the RV-2 is a heavy chunk of iron but, with its own internal pressure oiling system it will outlast any newer aluminum compressor.

I think you could recondition the original system for less money than a new conversion kit. You are going to have to deal with the under dash stuff one way or the other whether  you recondition the old box or install a new one. Under the hood a new receiver/drier, rebuild the hoses and all new O rings. The compressor can have a new front shaft seal installed or swapped out for a re-manufactured unit. Use O rings that are R-134A compatible and an Ester based oil in the compressor and you can use either R-134A or the original R-12 refrigerant. Unless the original evaporator and condenser are physically damaged they will likely be fine. Flush them out with A/C flush solvent and reuse them. If you have all the original pieces, keeping it original would be less trouble, work better and preserve the original look of the car.

If you have a shop do all the work the original system would cost more than a conversion system but if you do it yourself it would cost less. I know you are dealing with health issues so doing it yourself may not be a good option.

Bronzedodge

I'll agree with Pete.  My car is factory A/C.  Nothing will work as well as the factory stuff.  The aftermarket units seem to have no provision for fresh air, NOR DO THEY HAVE THE CAPACITY.  I installed a new shaft seal, O rings as others have mentioned.  It's November and I haven't touched the system in two years, kept me cool at Carlisle.

Now, If you're missing stuff.  Ugh.  Original looking fittings for the hoses are tough, although most cars used similar stuff.  You could get hoses from a C-body or even A body and have them remade to the correct length.  The ducts are tricky.  The center floor outlet is nice to have if you want an original appearance.  Lately I've seen quite a few RV-2 compressors at swap meets.  They do take more hp to turn vs the Sanden replacements.  Long ago you could get a compressor gasket kit from Four Seasons, but I believe they're long out for production.

As I commercial HVAC guy, I never understood why the auto industry never adopted the same methodology as commercial for leaks.  Pressure test with nitrogen.  It's commonly available and free of moisture.  All refrigerant systems should be dry and clean
Mopar forever!

John_Kunkel

I won't own a car without A/C and disagree that aftermarket systems don't work well. I have two older cars with hang-on A/C and they both work well.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Pete in NH

RV-2 gasket kits and front shaft seal kits are still available and not too expensive. If you have a good RV-2 core unit these two kits will get you back in operation.

After market kits can work well if compressor displacement, evaporator and condenser capacity and most importantly air flow through the condenser are worked out.

Lord Warlock

Lucky for me, I have all the ducts for under the dash, I put those aside years ago but kept them close so they are actually in the floor of the passenger front seat now.  Amazes me that I still have some of them.  The hoses in the engine bay however need work, the drier and lines attached to it could be cleaned off to at least appear like its in place, but I'm missing one or two hoses, Have the piece that attaches near the drier and comes to the compressor, but missing the one that loops around the top of the compressor, not sure what I did with that one.  Probably stuffed in a corner someplace. 

When I got the car it had all the parts and everything was attached.  Over the years parts have come off.  I really should be happy that the car is in the condition to be driven even without AC, I can always pay someone to fix it later...if I want it bad enough.  Never needed AC when driving it before, and if I need it bad enough I can just drive the challenger. 

Pretty much my whole life I've had this car, and it set the standard as to how a car should look, or sound, or perform, and many of my other cars never measured up in the exhaust tone, or performance areas.  It sounded great at idle or under full throttle, and mine is totally stock on the exhaust system, even down to huge mufflers underneath.  It came with AC, I'd like to present it with AC there, but given my health situation it'll pay not to worry too much, if it becomes a need I may go original, or aftermarket, there just isn't much room to put one under the dash of the charger, passenger foot room is limited already.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

John_Kunkel

BTW, all you guys with inactive factory A/C that has the firewall forward stuff missing, do the next owner a favor and cap the firewall fittings to keep out debris so the system can be resurrected at a later date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ODZKing

It would have cost me much more for hoses (which incidentally I couldn't find), repair of the old compressor, receiver dryer and new condenser than I paid for the under hood conversion kit, I checked. Because I would have liked to keep it original.   :scratchchin: But working vs OEM ... working won.
And again, it works just fine!

472 R/T SE

Years back I planned on doing the Power Tour.  It was either Gear Vendors or aftermarket A/C.  Gear Vendors won out.

More than anything I don't want a compressor & all those lines cluttering up my bay.  If my car wasn't all #'s matching, I'd route everything inside the inner fender to the heater box.

Lord Warlock

working ac vs OEM, the aftermarket kits do look like a possibility, I'd rather have something working than driving without, but and this is a big but, there is no reason to wait till I fix that part till I start enjoying  the car without it.  So I plan on driving it, until I melt into a puddle.  Summer is almost over, that's a good thing.