News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drums to Wilwood disc conversion

Started by phantom, October 31, 2015, 01:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom

Ok, this may sound stupid, but to be certain: My charger har power brakes, right?

I am opting for the Wilwood Superlite 6R 14" discs up front and 12.19" rear with parking brake.
Can i still use the original booster, or is it pointless when i most likely will supercharge my engine when i come around to build it? (if not blower, a big cam is sure to get in there). I know i need vacuum, so it pretty much answers it self  ;D  How about going manual? Hydroboost?

Pros and cons please, as i am fairly unexperienced in the brake system-departement still  :scratchchin:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: phantom on October 31, 2015, 01:08:48 PM
Ok, this may sound stupid, but to be certain: My charger har power brakes, right?
If that was your original booster than yes you had power drum brakes.
Quote from: phantom on October 31, 2015, 01:08:48 PM
I am opting for the Wilwood Superlite 6R 14" discs up front and 12.19" rear with parking brake.
Can i still use the original booster, or is it pointless when i most likely will supercharge my engine when i come around to build it? (if not blower, a big cam is sure to get in there). I know i need vacuum, so it pretty much answers it self  ;D  How about going manual? Hydroboost?

Pros and cons please, as i am fairly unexperienced in the brake system-departement still  :scratchchin:
One drawback on going with Wilwood's, they don't work on most Magnum wheels.
A hydroboost system would be my first choice.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

John_Kunkel

The 14" discs will most likely require at least 17" wheels. That booster will work with the Wilwoods but you'll need a different MC or remove the RPV's from the one you have.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

phantom

I know i need 17s or bigger,  building a resto mod :) And yes, it sucks that i cant fit Magnums.
So how does manual brakes work? Just leg-power and no vacuum?

John_Kunkel

Yep, the pedal connects directly to the MC...no boost of any kind.

FWIW, the Wilwood rears have a separate parking brake that adds complexity and installation hassle. I'd prefer a kit that has calipers with built-in parking brake like Doctor Diffs kit.

http://www.doctordiff.com/rear-disc-brake-kit-11.7-rotor.html

The rotor is a little smaller but it's cheaper and he can supply the correct cables. Look at his front kits too.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.