News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone used Hotchkis Adjustable Shocks along with TVS system?

Started by miller, October 25, 2015, 08:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase the hotchkis TVS system and their adjustable shocks along with it. Has anyone used their shocks? Are there better adjustable shocks out there? The idea behind my car is to use it on the street 80% of the time, then autocross it 15% and maybe light track day 5%.

Also I was looking to use Dr Diff viper brake conversion for the front and mustang cobra rear discs. However the largest rotor diameter they have for the viper brakes is 11.75, does anyone know if 1) this kit will work with hotchkis suspension, clearance wise, 2)the 11.75 rotor will look okay under a 17 inch wheel?

Thanks for your help. This car has been a long time coming and seeing it on jackstands the past 2 years is really motivating me to get it done.
Miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

myk

I have the TVS on my car, but my Hotchkis shocks are the non-adjustable ones...

HPP

Hotchkis shocks are designed to work within a range of frequencies they recommend with their suspension system, so they are very well matched in the range they will adjust for at the price point they are at. Are there better shocks, absolutely. But to improve what they have will come at a significant price increase and require you to communicate with the supplier what your rates, geometry, frequencies, tires, etc are all doing to get them dialed in to be optimal. For a street, car, it probably isn't worth the effort. Additionally, if you want to step up to dual or triple adjustability, you had better be very meticulous at note taking and adjustments for conditions to ensure you don't go the wrong direction in adjustments and actually make them worse than a simple off the shelf fixed rate unit calibrated by the manufacturer.

Dr Diff also offers 13" Viper (brembo) brake kits, so it all depends on which kit you are looking at for the diameter you get. 11.75 will fit inside a 15" wheel so a 17" fit is easy. How will it look...like a disc. Seriously though, there is only an extra 1" of space on the radius of the wheel, so it won't look too bad, but it seems many guys like to see these huge pie plates discs inside their wheels.

myk

That Viper kit is out of stock!  :RantExplode:

I was hoping that would be a reasonable alternative to the $1700 Baer T4 kit...

bill440rt

I'm running the Hotchkis Fox shocks on my '69.
I like them. A LOT. Big improvement in ride & handling compared to the KYB's that were in there before.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Are they adjustable?  I didn't even know they had adjustable units...

HPP

Myk, you know, your right. Looking at the Hotchkis site, all of their offerings for classic Chargers are factory tuned. They do not offer an adjustable unit.

So Miller, do you have them confused with another unit or are you planning on bypassing the Hotchkis units for something else?

myk

I figured as much.  If Hotchkis had adjustables I probably would've bought them to match my $800 UCA's... :smilielol: :eek2:

miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

myk

bill440rt

Quote from: myk on October 28, 2015, 12:08:29 AM

I have the non-adjustables.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

303 Mopar

Quote from: bill440rt on October 28, 2015, 02:44:11 PM

Bill440 - Do you have the TVS, or anything else from Hotchkis?
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

bill440rt

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 28, 2015, 03:38:12 PM

Yes, I have their UCA's, torsion bars, & sway bars. I did not go with their full system, but mixed in a few other upgraded parts.
I used larger aluminum tie rod sleeves (C-body style) from Mancini, and aluminum strut rods from American Muscle. LCA's are stock.
Rear leaf springs are MP's, I liked the ride height.
:cheers:

HPP

Quote from: miller on October 28, 2015, 11:14:35 AM
http://www.hotchkis.net/product/hotchkis-tuned-1-5-adjustable-performance-series-shock-4-pack-dodge-66-72-b-body/?mk=40&yr=1969&md=287&sm=20

they are adjustable for rebound

That is generally how single adjustable shocks work. The do provide a nominal amount of compression change as a result of the rebound adjustment, but you have to get into double adjustables to independently control these functions. For you quoted percentages of driving, I think you could do great with the Hotchkis/Fox non-adjustable units, but if you want to tinker a bit with the differing applications, a single adjustable gives you that ability without being so complex as to lead you down a path in the wrong direction.

Hotchkis makes quality parts. Their shocks are built with billet aluminum and hard chromed components like most other high end shock providers. I'd have no qualms about using their adjustable units and I'd say they are comparable to any similar level Afco, Strange, Varishock, Vicking, or other single adjustable unit on the market today.

303 Mopar

Quote from: bill440rt on October 28, 2015, 03:49:13 PM

Yes, I have their UCA's, torsion bars, & sway bars. I did not go with their full system, but mixed in a few other upgraded parts.
I used larger aluminum tie rod sleeves (C-body style) from Mancini, and aluminum strut rods from American Muscle. LCA's are stock.

Sounds similar to the way I'm going this winter.  Anything you would have done different?  I am also considering a Stage III steering box from FirmFeel.

myk

Have you looked at the Borgeson box?  I really want the Firm Feel Stage 3 as well, however I'd also like the fast ratio setup which is impossible with headers.  The Borgeson unit has fast ratio built in, which will allow clearance with headers, so I'm considering it...

HPP

Borgeson is smaller and lighter as well and has better on center feel to it, based on feedback I've read. I Don't have one myself.

bill440rt

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 29, 2015, 12:14:37 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on October 28, 2015, 03:49:13 PM

Sounds similar to the way I'm going this winter.  Anything you would have done different?  I am also considering a Stage III steering box from FirmFeel.

I'm really happy with the way the car handles, stops, etc. I don't track race the car, primarily a street car, and for the street it is great. I'm sure it would handle great on a track, but I just haven't tested it yet. It'll run circles around my other two cars, which have stock suspensions.
I went with a Stage 2 box from Steer-n-Gear. Similar to FF, they are a vendor at Carlisle so it was much more convenient for me that way (no shipping, had a core, etc). Borgeson box was not yet available at the time, either. Very happy with the road feel.
I don't know what I would have done differently, except maybe go Hotchkis or PST tie rod sleeves & strut rods. Mine are aluminum, they are supposedly stronger than stock but I've heard conflicting stories. Some say they are just for the track, others say they are totally fine for the street. Per my conversations with Hotchkis their tie & strut rods make the least difference compared to their other components, the first being sway bars & shocks.  :2thumbs:

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on October 29, 2015, 12:20:13 PM
Have you looked at the Borgeson box?  I really want the Firm Feel Stage 3 as well, however I'd also like the fast ratio setup which is impossible with headers.  The Borgeson unit has fast ratio built in, which will allow clearance with headers, so I'm considering it...

I did look at the Borgeson box. It is more expensive and you have to cut your shaft. With the only benefit of quick ratio, it is not worth it to me.   :Twocents:

303 Mopar

Quote from: bill440rt on October 29, 2015, 02:57:11 PM
Per my conversations with Hotchkis their tie & strut rods make the least difference compared to their other components, the first being sway bars & shocks.  :2thumbs:

Hotchkis told me the same thing, however I would add t-bars as another big differentiator. 

bill440rt

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 29, 2015, 07:08:45 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on October 29, 2015, 02:57:11 PM
Per my conversations with Hotchkis their tie & strut rods make the least difference compared to their other components, the first being sway bars & shocks.  :2thumbs:

Hotchkis told me the same thing, however I would add t-bars as another big differentiator. 

Yep, t-bars were next on their list.  :cheers:

myk

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 29, 2015, 07:03:04 PM
Quote from: myk on October 29, 2015, 12:20:13 PM

I did look at the Borgeson box. It is more expensive and you have to cut your shaft. With the only benefit of quick ratio, it is not worth it to me.   :Twocents:

There's actually an adapter they just released that allows you to NOT have to cut your column...

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on October 30, 2015, 12:36:10 AM

There's actually an adapter they just released that allows you to NOT have to cut your column...

Tell me more, because I'm still seeing the requirement to cut your column on their website....https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&objects_per_page=50

myk

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 30, 2015, 11:55:24 AM

Tell me more, because I'm still seeing the requirement to cut your column on their website....https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&objects_per_page=50

I read about it in this article:

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-stories/tech-install-1962-82-mopar-steering-box-upgrade-with-borgeson/

The product is actually from another company, not Borgeson:

http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

Hell I think I just convinced myself to get the Borgeson.  It's a lot more expensive than the Firm Feel option, though...

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on October 30, 2015, 12:08:19 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 30, 2015, 11:55:24 AM

I read about it in this article:

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-stories/tech-install-1962-82-mopar-steering-box-upgrade-with-borgeson/

The product is actually from another company, not Borgeson:

http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

Thanks for the info, I'm glad someone came up with the solution!  Now I just need to convince myself that the Borgeson set up is worth $400 more the FirmFeel box.

myk

Yeeeeah it's pricey.  Even more so for me because I'm going to have to farm out the installation.  But...it's got the fast ratio steering that I can't get with the other boxes, it weighs less, and from what I've read it has a very centered, very modern steering feel to it.  I'm just going to have to buy once and cry once with this option...