News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pinion Angle! Stock settings?

Started by NateCharger, October 21, 2015, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateCharger

What pinion angle did the 71-74 B-bodies come off the assembly line with? The reading at my tail housing is 2 degrees down. That is with the new Energy bushing in the transmission mount. How can you have a pinion setting of 5-7 degrees down, if the tranny is tail down as well? I have read so many threads, I'm getting dizzy.

68CoronetRT

Need to figure out where the trans angle is first. I've been reading alot about this today and what I've found is pretty simple. If the trans is 2* down, the pinion needs to be 2* up, creating a zero degree situation. You can shim the pinion up or down depending on what the trans is.

I'm sure some others will chime in on this.

NateCharger

Transmission output is 2 degrees down, driveshaft is 3 degrees down, pinion is 1.5 degrees up. Bad radiating vibration at 35 and 60.

Paul G

Those pinion angles should'nt cause a vibration. Is the trans mount centered? Meaning is the trans sitting in the correct left to right position?

U joints in good condition?

Is the energy bushing a poly bushing? If so they will transmit a lot of vibration in to the car, a lot. I have a poly trans mount sitting on the shelf. I hated it. 

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

NateCharger

Got transmission to 1.6 degrees down, driveshaft is at 2.4 degrees down, pinion angle .7 down. Vibration almost completely gone! The shop I had weld my perches on made a huge mistake and welded them on at nearly 5 degrees....UP! So I stuck a 6 degree shim back there. I am amazed that a speed shop could make such a huge mistake. I spent a lot of hours tracking down the vibration, never thinking to check the shops work. In order to properly fix it, I have to have new perches welded on correctly...