News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking at this '70 Charger

Started by Drache, October 21, 2015, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Hopefully going to go look at this car next week and wondering what you guys think.

Quote1970 Dodge Charger factory 318,auto, bucket seat, console,over $5000 in replacement panels.new floor,trunk,full 1/4's,roof skin,have been replaced.some welding and finishing needs to be completed.body in primer was complete before disassembly have everything except motor/tranny.original plan was for a crate motor will be nice car when completed.$12500

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69bronzeT5

Personally, I think it's over priced for British Columbia by a few thousand, especially with no drive train. It appears most of the metal work has been done but definitely check the quality of work. I'm a little leary considering they spray painted all the floor pans :Twocents: :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Kern Dog

The door panels and dash have me thinking that this is an SE model. Pretty cool if so.
Yeah, the price is stiff. Probably could get into it for $10,000 if the buyer gets hammered by a few tire kickers over the next few weeks.

Drache

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 21, 2015, 08:19:05 PM
Probably could get into it for $10,000 if the buyer gets hammered by a few tire kickers over the next few weeks.

I wouldnt go any higher than that. The only reason I'm even thinking about this car is because it's a '70
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hemi-hampton

Good Choice, Everybody knows 70 is the best. With the chrome pedal dress up on parking brake & map pockets on door panels  & Wood grain steering wheel could be a A47 S.E. Model. Go for it. LEON.

Dino

Money pit.  I wouldn't even bother to go look at it. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

crj1968

Quote from: Dino on October 21, 2015, 09:43:01 PM
Money pit.  I wouldn't even bother to go look at it. 

I'd have to agree, you'd be better off spending $20K on something already put together. You can grab that grille for me though.   :icon_smile_big:

Drache

Quote from: crj1968 on October 22, 2015, 03:49:43 AM
I'd have to agree, you'd be better off spending $20K on something already put together. You can grab that grille for me though.   :icon_smile_big:

I cannot add any more than the $10k I have due to my business. The only reason I'm even considering looking at this car is '70 Chargers generally come up for sale in BC about once every 5 years. Last one was nothing but a rolling shell (R/T) with all bodywork done that sold for $14,000.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

skip68

I'd be definitely in for $10K.  As long as the bodywork is done right like Cody said.    :Twocents: 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

six-tee-nine

If you know where your skill level is and you know you can tackle the job to get a project like that done, then thats a big plus.

I remember reading about you selling the Dart to stay financially healthy, If I were in the same boat that would be very tuff for me. So I can understand your situation. If everyone would only want a restored car then the good ones would be worht their weight in gold and the rest would rot away.
It takes guys that bring them back from time to time.

However I can say this from my own expierience, that shell takes another shitload of cash to be on the road again one day. If you have to go slow to spread the cost, then it will be a burden from time to time...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

6spd68

I'd suggest staying out of the game until you have more than 10K.  You sold the Dart in order to help your business; but now you're potentially jumping into an even deeper hole.  Don't get me wrong dude, would love to see you in another Mopar(more over one you built yourself  :nana: ).  Is this however something you could comfortably do without putting yourself into considerable debt, and being even more miserable than you are without one?

Personally, I'd rather have no Charger, than a 30,000$ debt lingering over my head.  They may not come up often, but another is sure to appear one day.

***EDIT***
On the flip side, you could be like me, and have a shell that'll be finished "Some velvet morning..."
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

richard parker

Quote from: Drache on October 22, 2015, 05:02:01 AM
Quote from: crj1968 on October 22, 2015, 03:49:43 AM

I cannot add any more than the $10k I have due to my business. The only reason I'm even considering looking at this car is '70 Chargers generally come up for sale in BC about once every 5 years. Last one was nothing but a rolling shell (R/T) with all bodywork done that sold for $14,000.

where in bc are you from ? a nive green 70 came up last year for 28 it was really nice and a complete running driving car. your right though ive only ever seen that one on sale

Drache

Quote from: richard parker on October 22, 2015, 12:22:18 PM
where in bc are you from ? a nive green 70 came up last year for 28 it was really nice and a complete running driving car. your right though ive only ever seen that one on sale

I know that green one. Had a rebuilt 400 for a motor. Needed a few things still. Wasn't worth the $28k they were asking. They dropped it to $24k for me two years ago but it still wasn't worth that price imo.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Dino

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 22, 2015, 12:53:02 PM
Money pit.  I wouldn't even bother to go look at it.  

This would be cheaper in the long run...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-/252117771714?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ab363e5c2%3Ag%3ArvcAAOSwvc9WFpZL&item=252117771714&nma=true&si=JOQ9noK4tNn1pGKCgA0r15FzO9g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yep as wouuld anything that runs and drive with all the parts there.  That '70 i going to drain your funds so fast you'll end up giving up on it and selling it to recoup some of the money you poured into it.  

Drache I'd love to see you in a Charger but I wouldn't even dream of it until you have lots of cash in hand.  Now, question:  How much would it cost to import one from the US?  Shipping is not that bad but I'm unsure of the duties you'd have to pay.  Either way you may be better off buying one stateside.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Challenger340

$10K Canadian is only about $7,500 U.S. Dollars ?

IMO,
you don't get much for $7,500  U.S. in the way of any 2nd gen.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Drache

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 22, 2015, 12:53:02 PM
Money pit.  I wouldn't even bother to go look at it.  

This would be cheaper in the long run...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-/252117771714?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ab363e5c2%3Ag%3ArvcAAOSwvc9WFpZL&item=252117771714&nma=true&si=JOQ9noK4tNn1pGKCgA0r15FzO9g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You realize that car would cost $56,000 CDN right? That is without shipping costs. About 5x the budget I have....

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 22, 2015, 01:57:22 PM
$10K Canadian is only about $7,500 U.S. Dollars ?

IMO,
you don't get much for $7,500  U.S. in the way of any 2nd gen.

Yes about $7,600

Quote from: Dino on October 22, 2015, 01:44:51 PM
Drache I'd love to see you in a Charger but I wouldn't even dream of it until you have lots of cash in hand.  Now, question:  How much would it cost to import one from the US?  Shipping is not that bad but I'm unsure of the duties you'd have to pay.  Either way you may be better off buying one stateside.

I'm not looking to get a Charger to drive it. I won't be able to afford that for a long time anyways. More looking at this thing to slowly start working on it during weekends. A long term storage project. I won't be putting any more money into my car fund for awhile anyways.

Due to the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar buying one from the US wouldn't be feasible. For example a $10,000 USD car would cost me $13,000 CDN with the exchange rate, at least $2000 to ship the car, and another $1600 in taxes once the car reaches the country.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Drache on October 22, 2015, 02:15:40 PM

You realize that car would cost $56,000 CDN right? That is without shipping costs. About 5x the budget I have....

Have you done any analysis on how much it would cost to finish that car off nicely?

70 sublime

If the car was all there before it was worked on then all the little parts should still be there
For $10 000 if the frame is all good and work that has been done is good I do not think it would take too much to just get it back together and driving around if you can round up a motor and transmission
It does not have to be a show car to get it going
Something fun to drive and not worry about all the idiots looking at it sitting in the parking lot makes life easier some times

Go this route and it will be worth all you spent on it and maybe a little more if $$ problems came up again

When your cash flow is good you could do all the fancy paint and wheels and motor later
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Drache

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 22, 2015, 02:22:09 PM
Have you done any analysis on how much it would cost to finish that car off nicely?

Probably around $70,000 spread over the next 15 years. A full beautiful restoration.

I'm not looking to finish it tomorrow.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Drache on October 22, 2015, 02:26:44 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 22, 2015, 02:22:09 PM

Probably around $70,000 spread over the next 15 years. A full beautiful restoration.

I'm not looking to finish it tomorrow.

It can snow ball pretty easy depending on how crazy you want to go
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Drache

My cousin restores cars (he's currently got his Cuda listed for $85k). Here's his brother's car before and after  :rofl:

I'd get my cousin to do the body work and the flat black paint. Then slowly start putting it back together in a "rat rod" style.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

richard parker

Quote from: Drache on October 22, 2015, 02:32:49 PM
My cousin restores cars (he's currently got his Cuda listed for $85k). Here's his brother's car before and after  :rofl:

I'd get my cousin to do the body work and the flat black paint. Then slowly start putting it back together in a "rat rod" style.
[/qu

you should take him with you to look at the charger

hemi-hampton

Drache

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 22, 2015, 07:09:59 PM
This one might be in your price range & better deal? LEON.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221918081840?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That car would still cost me $16k or more IF it stays at the $10k USD mark.

$10k CDN is my top limit right now. That is $7600 USD.

Minus the cost of taxes equals $6400 USD and then then minus the cost of shipping the car to Canada equals $4400 USD I'd have to buy a car from the US.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire