News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2011 and 2012 Charger Police Car

Started by 1970Moparmann, October 20, 2015, 11:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Guys,

Any experience with 2011 / 2012 Charger police cars?   I usually buy Crown Vics Interceptors and have great luck with them.   Mine currently has 125k miles, but looking to upgrade.   I drive about 25k a year for work.

From what I researched, a lot of people are complaining about suspension and electrical, but not sure if these are the older model 2006 - 2010. 

Any feedback is appreciated!

Mike
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

lukedukem

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 20, 2015, 11:17:52 AM
Guys,

Any experience with 2011 / 2012 Charger police cars?   I usually buy Crown Vics Interceptors and have great luck with them.   Mine currently has 125k miles, but looking to upgrade.   I drive about 25k a year for work.

From what I researched, a lot of people are complaining about suspension and electrical, but not sure if these are the older model 2006 - 2010. 

Any feedback is appreciated!

Mike

i looked into this too, for 2006 - 2010, the suspension is a major complaint. some say swapping out parts for MOOG parts makes it better. i didn't buy one based off other reasons (family addition). i haven't heard much on electrical stuff but you can go to carcomplaints.com and other sites and see. also, these were not just police cars, i was looking at consumer cars too. but i figure the cops are a little more harder on these than civilians. not sure.
i have no experience with the 2011/2012 years, so i am not much help. hopefully i didn't waste to much of your time, but just enough.  :2thumbs:

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

1970Moparmann

Thanks.

It looks like the suspension issues were 2006 - 2010 years.   Can't find too much on the 2011 / 2012, but will keep on looking!  Thanks!

Mike DC

What parts were going out in 2006-2010?  The ball joints? 

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 21, 2015, 01:58:11 PM

What parts were going out in 2006-2010?  The ball joints? 

Inner and outer tie rods / rack replacement and leaking.   Electrical wise, alternator issues manly.

Mike DC

That sounds like standard-issue "it's not a Crown Vic!" complaints the departments have about everything modern. 

Hard Charger

might be a tough choice compared to a crown vic.

always heard a lot of complaints about the side and back views from cops, lots of close calls and accidents.

certainly saw that issue with my challenger.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Hard Charger on October 22, 2015, 03:25:52 PM
might be a tough choice compared to a crown vic.

always heard a lot of complaints about the side and back views from cops, lots of close calls and accidents.

certainly saw that issue with my challenger.

I've had a few Crown Vic's and they have been priceless.   The one I have now I put on 30k miles in 18 months and not a single issue.  Has a bunch of miles now.   Was just searching some local adds and think I found my next one.   If you drive a lot, want a dependable car, can't beat a old cop car.   Just need to watch out for the idling hours.   

The Charger would be nice (found practically a new 2012), but it is $10k more than this 34k miles Crown Vic.   I need to start working on my Bird, so the extra money will help me with that!

Mike DC

Aren't the police/fleet CVs more reliable than consumer-sold ones?  (due to build differences, not just better maintenance)

ws23rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 22, 2015, 05:10:21 PM

Aren't the police/fleet CVs more reliable than consumer-sold ones?  (due to build differences, not just better maintenance)

That would be interesting to know. :scratchchin:  And leads to the question about extra cost that may have gone along with it?
I'm thinking cars can be made to last longer. If an extra couple hundred thousand miles can be had for added cost at ordering it might be a good deal for some buyers and help with resale value later.

1970Moparmann

I guess it depends on the car.   I found many police departments that bought Chargers when they came out, but then went back to Ford because they were in the shop so much.   Crown Vic's on the other hand have a solid reputation.   My first one was rock solid except for a intake manifold (common problem in 01 - 03, and some coils.   The coils and a few sensors that went were due to the long idling hours it had.   It was a full fledged marked car that my local city had.  I got it dirt cheap because they "thought" it needed a new power steering pump ($1000) and a new electronic fan ($800).  Picked it up for $2,500 and put PB Blaster on the steering knuckles, and a new fan $300 and it was good until the intake.  My 08 has been extremely reliable.  07 and up have been really good.   

Chevy's have had issues also.   Ford has been the police car of choice.   

I was a little excited about the 2012 Charger because it is virtually new and they want $17,000.  Hemi and all. 

Mike DC

QuoteI'm thinking cars can be made to last longer. If an extra couple hundred thousand miles can be had for added cost at ordering it might be a good deal for some buyers and help with resale value later.

That option has been around for decades.  They are called Hondas & Toyotas & Subarus.

The difference isn't as big as it used to be.  But it's still there. 

Chargen69

depends on if you could get one before the cops beat on them or not