News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel line drain-back(hard starts after 24 hours)

Started by nge, October 19, 2015, 08:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nge

Hey all,
This is probably a basic issue with carburetors....but, after my 440 sits for 24 hours I have to crank the engine over for 45 to 60 sec (long time on the starter) until the fuel line refills. 
Is there a basic fix for this?  This doesn't happen in my other carbureted cars, so I was wondering if it was the fuel pump, the carb, or something else.
thanks!
Vic

Back N Black

Do you pump the gas before turning the engine over? I usually pump the gas 4 times and she fires right up. You need to push the pedal to the floor to reset the choke. :Twocents:

Ghoste

It tends to be a problem with modern fuels.  By any chance is your 440 a Carter or Edelbrock carb and the other ones Holley?

Kern Dog

My cars with Holley carburetors seem to start fine even after a couple of weeks of down time. This is even with the fast evaporating CALIFORNIA gasoline. I have had shit luck with ThermoQuads though. They seem to either evaporate or drain in two days. I'm not sure about the Edelbrock or any other Carter type carburetors.
Some guys will splice in a small 4 psi electric fuel pump in the system just to avoid the long cranking that you are experiencing.

Dino

As much as I love Thermoquads, they do not hold their liquor well.   :lol:  It sits for one day and it's cranking time.  A choke helps a lot though. 

Don't crank it continously.  Mash the pedal a few times and crank 5-10 seconds at a time.  Give that starter a break before it breaks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

A383Wing

fuel cannot drain back into the line from the carb, so either carb is leaking after shut off, or fuel is being evaporated after shut off....is your choke closing correctly? I have no issues with my cars sitting for a week. When I go to start them, pump the pedal a couple times and they start right up

Bryan

Ghoste

Maybe you got some kinda freaky northwest gas up there?  :scratchchin:

68charger440

Try snugging up the fuel line fittings both steel fittings and hose clamps if you have them too.  You may have a little air getting in through them as it cools down, then when when it is hot it seals back up. :shruggy:
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

nge

Thanks All!
I have one of those new Demon AFB-ThermoQuad hybrids. (it may have  inherited some of there issues...  Its been easy to live with except for this.) I will make sure to tighten all of my lines.
I have been considering adding an electric pump in-line, but need guidance as how to do it...

68charger440

I put my Holley back on the outside of the frame rail by the back passenger side wheel.  I disconnected it because it is so loud even with rubber bushings, but it is still there.  I think I would only hook it up If going to the track because of the noise.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

LaOtto70Charger

My car takes about 3 days for the gas to evaporate out of the edelbrock carb.  So I have the same issue. 

On the different side though is after it sits over night I have to start without giving it any gas.  She fires right up with barely touching the key.  Restarts after driving awhile I have to give one full pump and hold it down.  Than cranks for 10 seconds.

70 sublime

Quote from: LaOtto70Charger on October 20, 2015, 11:29:17 AM
My car takes about 3 days for the gas to evaporate out of the edelbrock carb.  So I have the same issue. 

On the different side though is after it sits over night I have to start without giving it any gas.  She fires right up with barely touching the key.  Restarts after driving awhile I have to give one full pump and hold it down.  Than cranks for 10 seconds.

That is pretty much bang on the way my car works also with my edelbrock
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ragin sonny

I've always liked carters, but after I got tired of hand priming mine constantly to get the car to start, I put on a holley. now it will fire and run instantly after sitting for 2 months. nice. not to mention the performance increase. if it's not numbers matching , go holley, or an electric fuel pump for a carter :yesnod:

68charger440

Quote from: Ghoste on October 19, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
It tends to be a problem with modern fuels.  By any chance is your 440 a Carter or Edelbrock carb and the other ones Holley?
yeah, the modern fuel sure does boil easy.

flyinlow

Yea the Carter /Eddy/TQ carbs do dry out faster.

An inline electric fuel pump to prime the carb helps.

myk

Quote from: flyinlow on November 03, 2015, 08:40:00 AM
Yea the Carter /Eddy/TQ carbs do dry out faster.

An inline electric fuel pump to prime the carb helps.

Yup.  An electric fuel pump will take care of your starting problem...

rt green

on the subject of noisy fuel pumps, try making a holder or mount that resembles a cup holder in a car. the ones you buy for 49 cents. put heavy sponge rubber on the inside. not so much so it wont cool, but enough. it will run so quiet it'll suprise  you. I've done it on many customers cars. 
third string oil changer

flyinlow

The pump I use only runs to prime the carb or if I chose to run it (drag strip) . Most of the time the engine driven pump is doing the work.