News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone running turn downs at the mufflers?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, August 19, 2015, 04:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I've been watching the Big Red (its a Camaro but its badass!) show on NBCSN and love how loud the car sounds. So i'm thinking of playing around with the exhaust. Anyone running turn downs at the mufflers? How does it sound? Too loud?

I would make it so the stock tail pipes would go right back on for normal days but when I feel like being annoying to to neighborhood I would put these on.

I was going to use electric cutouts but this would be a lot cheaper.

Any advice?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

scratchinfotraction

on my 88-D150 with a 440, I run hedman headers that have 3" collectors with 3" straight pipes, have 2 chamber 3" in/out muffs with 8" long 3" turndowns in front of rear axle. turndowns are bent into a 45*  with them angled to point down and out from under the truck in front of rear tires.

yes it is loud.  and with the whiplash cam it sounds nasty with a funnycar idle and hear it coming at 55mph going down the road.

only down side I have is I only listen to radio when parked.

Ghoste

I had them on a Charger once and found them loud.  Not intolerably loud but certainly louder.

Charger-Bodie

I love them , except they stir up A LOT of dust and dirt. My for 690 R/T has them and you cant drive it too far before its really dusty.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

scratchinfotraction

I also have a 85 stepside whiplash roller cam 318/5 speed that has the headers with straight pipes/muffs with turnouts that are in front of the tires. same muffs as the 440 truck but in 2.5" in/out with more tail pipe (about 4' of tailpaipes bent into a 45* to exit  under the steps in the center.

may add a set of stacks someday so I will just need to add pipe when I do.

it is about as 1/2 as loud as the 440 truck. I can listen to the radio cruzing in it.

my 68Dart has headers with 3" pipes turbo muffs dumps in front of axle with no turndowns- straight out the muffs

my 76 charger had headers with old thrush tin can glass packs bolted right to the headers with nothing else..muff were 36" long.

very raspy and loud as a matter of fact 3 tickets loud with those tin can glass packs.

that's the true sound of power with those thrush cans.

oldcarnut

One thing to consider with turn downs under the car is the exhaust smells and carbon monoxide seeping into the car at idle

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks guys   :cheers:

Yeah, the fumes are the only thing I'm worried about.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Curious to what it will sound like. But it won't be permanent, just for fun.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

suburbanfireman

Quote from: oldcarnut on August 20, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
One thing to consider with turn downs under the car is the exhaust smells and carbon monoxide seeping into the car at idle

X2

I'm switching away from turn downs.  I have a roll bar - no matter how well I try to seal the car, CO leaks into the interior.  My wife tells me that I "reek" like exhaust when i come home (after driving the car).  Prolonged exposure to elevated CO levels has been proven to cause confusion, headaches, even death!

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Carbon-Monoxide-Information-Center/Carbon-Monoxide-Questions-and-Answers-/

The cool factor of turn downs is not worth the risk.   (Just my :Twocents:)  

My car goes in for x-pipe + tail pipes Wednesday.
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

John_Kunkel

Aside from the noise and the stink, the in-the-car drone is what drives me nuts with turndowns. Tailpipes mitigate most of the drone.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

I'd stick the pipes straight out of the fenders or the hood maybe, it's not like it's that nice of a car to begin with.   :nana:   :lol:

You better post a few vids of that thing when done.   :drive:   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

had them on mine with the stock 383, it drove me NUTS & i am half deaf.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

What about sticking them out the sides in front of the rear tires? They sound awesome in tunnels, between buildings and between freeway walls.

I used to love cruising down Market Street in San Francisco

1974dodgecharger

WHY NOT run cut outs electronic?  they also have turn downs....I have that in my car and love it...I flip a toggle and opens it for loudness.... :icon_smile_big:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 13, 2015, 12:50:20 AM
WHY NOT run cut outs electronic?  they also have turn downs....I have that in my car and love it...I flip a toggle and opens it for loudness.... :icon_smile_big:

That was always something I wanted to do but now the efi's O2 sensor took up the spot where I was going to put them. I might add them further down the exhaust but for now i'm going to leave it as is?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Chargen69

I have got turn downs, because we havent finish the exhaust yet, and it SUCKS. They have banged around on things, especially when I have had a few people in the car. also, every square inch of my car has sound deadner in it. I mean everything.  Everywhere, and all the seams are taped. and it is loud. I cant wait to get the pipes finished.

course we are talking big block with headman elite headers, 3" pipes, 3" super 44 flows

Chargen69

the sound deadner has done a good job, it doesnt drone, but it is just loud

Kern Dog

I like a bit of a cackle, but turndowns seem to lead to that dreaded D R O N E and I really can't stand that shit. For me, the Charger I own (And all the components within) had to be the best that I could afford. No junkyard engines, sheepskin seat covers or half assed exhaust systems like I had on previous cars. I run full exhaust and probably always will with this car.