News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carb or ?

Started by GN, October 10, 2015, 11:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

My latest problem now is when I am driving the car, it stalls when i come to a stop or let of the gas. In park and neutral it will idle fine. The carb is a rebuilt carter 2bbl stock from napa on a 318. I have the idle mixture screws 2 1/2 turns out. The choke appears to work fine. Just thst that when it is in gear the idle drops . I looked over the vacuum lines and didn't see anything obvious. Curb idle and fast idle not to sure about. I tried to adjust to FSM but not sure if it is done correctly. When i bought the car it came with daul exhaust.

birdsandbees

I have never had a carb, on anything, with the mixture screw(s) out 2.5 turns. 1.25 to 1.75 max.

You sure the idle is not just set too low?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

GN

Curb idle? Which is set first? I will turn the idle mixture screws in 1 turn tomorrow and go from there. I am leaning toward a vacuum leak.

birdsandbees

Could be... more air via a vacuum leak would allow / need for more fuel at the idle screw to get a proper air to fuel ratio.

As for idle, I like to get it as low as possible without stalling, gives for a raunchier sound !  :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

myk

Are the floats at the right level?

Set your desired idle speed and make adjustments afterwards.  You should also be making idle mixture adjustments with a vacuum gauge...

LaOtto70Charger

What is the timing at and does changes in rpm change the timing? What rpm is idle at? My 318 likes about 800 rpm.

GN

I do not have a tach for the rpms. I turned the idle mixture screws in 1 turn.  Then i rerouted the vacuum lines. The vacuum line from the distributor now goes to rt side of the carb it will idle in drive now . I also plugged the hose coming out of the top port of the 3 prong vacuum port on the front of the manifold. .and ran the middle one to a t fitting on the back vacuum of the manifold. 

myk

You need a vacuum gauge more than a tachometer, if you can only have one or the other.  Every adjustment you make should be geared towards getting the highest vacuum...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on October 12, 2015, 06:42:57 PM
You need a vacuum gauge more than a tachometer, if you can only have one or the other.  Every adjustment you make should be geared towards getting the highest vacuum...

highest vacuum is more for, 'ideal' conditions. 

68charger440

Quote from: GN on October 11, 2015, 12:13:11 PM
I do not have a tach for the rpms. I turned the idle mixture screws in 1 turn.  Then i rerouted the vacuum lines. The vacuum line from the distributor now goes to rt side of the carb it will idle in drive now . I also plugged the hose coming out of the top port of the 3 prong vacuum port on the front of the manifold. .and ran the middle one to a t fitting on the back vacuum of the manifold.  
The vacuum that you plugged was probably the problem.  Now that it is not stalling anymore I would put all of the other settings back to where you started if you were happy with it before it started to die and see where you stand. :Twocents:
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!