News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 to dana 60 driveshaft fitment

Started by Tigger, October 12, 2015, 04:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigger

Hello, on 69 charger with a 18 spline manual and a 8 3/4 rear that I want to replace with a dana 60 I have, can I use the same driveshaft or are different lengths?
If the same length can I just replace the joint at the rear?

c00nhunterjoe

The one for the dana should be about an inch shorter then one with an 8 3/4. The joint may or may not be the same as the 8.75.

Tigger

as long as the driveshaft doesn't bind at ride height and jouncing of the vehicle, the only issue would be able to find a u joint that fits the dana 60 and the driveshaft for 8 /34 correct?
do they make a u joint for that application and what would it be?

ws23rt

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=100992.0

IMO just because a drive shaft will install (will slide into the trans. far enough to assemble the rear u joint) does not give me comfort that all will be well.
The designed length for a given situation is for a reason. To move +or- one inch could be asking for trouble.

By using this as a guide it looks like your drive shaft would be .89" longer than intended with the dana 60. :shruggy:

birdsandbees

Yep.. three in the back seat and bottom that rear end on a railroad track and see how your tranny likes that final thrust !  :RantExplode:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Ghoste

billssuperbird

I did the same thing. Sent the drive shaft out to get shorten and  balanced and new u joints every thing fit fine

Kern Dog

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2015, 05:09:47 AM
Worse than a prison rape.

Uhhh...
I've never been in prison, but a drive shaft failure is surely better than getting beaten and stuffed full of sausage, left for dead.

:hah:

Ghoste

Not from your transmissions perspective.

Tigger

Please forgive my ignorance, iwas looking at the chart in the link above, but since you couldn't get a 383 with a 9 3/4 does that chart even apply?
My current set up is a 383 with a Lakewood bellhousing and a 18 spline 4 speed.

So I will have to have a custom driveshaft made. What would be the correct specs. I'm guessing 1350 u joints but clueless on driveshaft length and yoke width.

c00nhunterjoe

The dimensions whether it be a 383, 400, 426 or 440 are all the same when it comes to the driveshaft length