News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 charger article on MSN

Started by pontiac charger, October 09, 2015, 05:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

myk

ITSA426

I think it's a beautiful car, but I just cringe when I see aftermarket gauges in a first generation Charger.  Still a nice looking car and I'm fond of first gen hemi Chargers.

myk

Like the wheels, it's the sort of modification that can be reversed in minutes.  It's either that or hack into the original dash cluster?

Ghoste

Or get it functioning.  I kind of feel the same about any car with a gauge package that has a set of underdash ones.  Its common and Ive done it myself more than once but I still like to see the factory ones working.

A383Wing

All of my factory gauges work in all 3 of my Chargers, but I still have mechanical water temp & oil pressure gauges under my dash....I would rather be safe than sorry, I don't trust the factory gauges all that well

Ghoste

And I fully get that and won't try to talk anybody out of it.  Just a personal thing with me is all.

J.Bond

Quote from: A383Wing on October 09, 2015, 06:35:19 PM
spoiler is mounted backwards

So......... What gives, were there no installation instructions with the spoiler package?, Stuffed in the trunk with a bag of screws and no instructions? Like, you either had to be stupid or just plain dumb to pull out a drill and start drilling holes into a brand new car without knowing up or down??? Were these done by the selling dealer??? :shruggy:

What's the head count now, 3 or 4 hemi first gens that have spoilers mounted backwards.

A383Wing

Quote from: J.Bond on October 10, 2015, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 09, 2015, 06:35:19 PM
spoiler is mounted backwards

What's the head count now, 3 or 4 hemi first gens that have spoilers mounted backwards.

I think I have seen maybe 10 or so that were mounted reverse...even that white Hemi car of Tim Welbornes that went through the auction was mounted wrong

ITSA426

Bryan, what makes it backwards?  Either way it will disrupt the airflow over the deck lid.  I've read a couple articles about them, and seen them mounted both ways.  I read the that originals were held on with sheet metal screws but I'd be irritated if someone could just walk by with a screwdriver and steal it.  Not trying to start an argument, just wondering if anyone has any prints or documentation.

A383Wing

would assembly line photos suffice?

Yes, originals were held on with standard sheet metal screws...which is why I opted for machine screws with nyloc nuts underneath

factory race cars had them mounted with screws toward the front for max air downforce, if mounted backwards like this one and others are, air just skims over the top and will not settle the back of the car down

Ghoste

I have heard of people mounting them the other way just because they preferred the way it looked.

J.Bond

Would assembly line photo's suffice........... Really.......absolutely

Have never seen any, however, if there are assembly line photo's, then, there really should be no confussion to how they should be mounted.

And if these were mounted on the line, how in the hell, did so many end up backwards.

So I guess back in the day, there must have been a Service Bulletin issued for above spoiler. And , while I'm at it, would a first gen spoiler be considered the beginning of  areo cars?

Ghoste

There some out there who say these photos were all staged for NASCAr and that all the fastabck spoilers were dealer installed.  Some say dealer installed and over the counter sold and some say dealer installed and shipped in the trunk and some say a combination of both.  Some say they were factory installed.
You are free to form your own opinion.

Ghoste

Ghoste

And yes, while I have no opinion on whether they were truly factory installed or not, I do believe they were intended to be curved edge forward and I also believe they were an opening round in the aero wars.  The 641/2 Galaxie might get a nod to being the first?

A383Wing

note how spoiler is mounted...curved side forward

TeeWJay426

I saw that car when it was on display at Carlisle. It looks even better in person, but then again, I do have a personal bias towards 66 Hem Chargers in forest green. :whistling:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed