News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Matching #s verification

Started by nastyhawk, October 10, 2015, 03:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastyhawk

Hello fellow Charger lovers!  New guy here seeking some assistance in verifying what I'm being told is a #s matching R/T.  I'm dealing with a super gentleman on the other end, and I have no reason to believe he's untruthful, but just thought I would see what you guys think. I've done quite a bit of research, and with all the data points out there are confusing to me.

I guess my main question is can any of you more seasoned Mopar guru's tie all these photos together to verify it is in fact #s matching car?

nastyhawk

- All photos removed per owner's request -

nastyhawk

JB400

Would you mind typing out the info on the vin plate? :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

The pics don't verify a numbers match on a '68. The VON numbers on the fender tag and the core support do match but they won't match the dash VIN. The stamped numbers on the engine block and trans should match the dash but be aware that not all '68's were stamped; a 440 should be stamped.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

6bblgt

The VIN ("XS29L8B156xxx") & Shipping Order Numbers (091090) appear to be the same on all documents and stampings shown, indicating they are from the same car.
Both are appropriate for a 10/2/67 "SCHEDULED" Charger R/T. (FWIW: Car was originally "bronze metallic" with "white" top/interior/stripe)

The partial VIN "8B156xxx" should be stamped on the 440HP engine by the oil sending unit, and 4-speed manual transmission on its side pad if they are original to this R/T.

nastyhawk

Wow, exactly the assistance I was hoping for!  Thank you very much.

I have a few more questions for some of you more seasoned car guys - this  gentleman states that this original engine has been rebuilt, and has 144K miles.  While I know the originality of a #'s matching car holds increased value, shouldn't the fact that it has significant amount of miles actually be something to notice in terms of a negative?

I guess my three questions are: 

1. Is 144K miles on this a newly rebuilt engine something to be wary of? 

2. Does that amount of wear and age outweigh the fact that it is original?

3. What are some other important questions I should be asking the seller?

Thanks for the responses, guys.  While these are subjective questions, I'm just looking for your advice and thoughts.

Dino

1. No, these engines keep on going as long as you maintain them.  You can put a million miles on it with proper care.

2. No it does not.  The value would be hurt more with a non-original engine that was brand new.  Originality always wins.

3. Do you have a good looking wife and can I see some pictures? 

Okay maybe not the last one.   :icon_smile_big:

Get as much of the car's history as you can and find out why he's selling it in the first place.  Then also be aware that although these are valuable cars, Barret-Jackson is not a good indicator of true world value.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Barrett-Jackson is basically just a reality show.  Some semblance of fact with a lot scripted portions added for dramatic effect.

nastyhawk

Yeah, I looked at Barrett Jackson and Mecum to see what they generally go for, but nothing seems to paint a good picture in terms of actual value.  Also, unless I'm missing something, the Hagerty site doesn't even list R/Ts for that year - only 383s.  He's asking 100K for it.  Beautiful car, but 100K is a lot of money.

Nwcharger

100k seems high to me but that's my opinion.  :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

Dino

Quote from: Nwcharger on October 11, 2015, 04:51:44 PM
100k seems high to me but that's my opinion.  :2thumbs:

I think you're being nice.

nastyhawk

Quote from: Dino on October 11, 2015, 06:49:44 PM
Quote from: Nwcharger on October 11, 2015, 04:51:44 PM
100k seems high to me but that's my opinion.  :2thumbs:

I think you're being nice.

So what would guys suggest is a reasonable price to pay for a car like this? 70 - 80?  Keep in mind it is a 4 speed. If it was a Hemi, then I would say 100K wouldn't be such a reach, but all the data and sales research I've done over the past few months suggest a car like this should be around 75K.  Please tell me if I'm off base here.

70 sublime

What part of the world are you in ??

I think it is way over priced and it is not even back to the way it came from the factory
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

VegasCharger

Very nice 68 :drool5: But not 100k nice. Is not having wheel well trim a deal breaker for me? No but asking 100k for it should have the ww trim.

Oh and welcome aboard :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If you don't end up getting this Charger, stick around this is a great community.

E86/A47

QuoteAll photos removed per owner's request

What? Who sells a car and doesn't want pics posted on a forum full of experts? Answer, someone who is asking too much.

Homerr

Quote from: E86/A47 on October 12, 2015, 10:36:27 AM
QuoteAll photos removed per owner's request

What? Who sells a car and doesn't want pics posted on a forum full of experts? Answer, someone who is asking too much.

Does not want to end up in the delusional thread.

nastyhawk

Guys, thanks for the responses and your overall welcoming comments. Your inputs helped me decide to continue my search.  When I do find one that reasonably matches it's asking price. I will make sure I post it up on here. 

I'm either looking for a 69.5 A12 Super Bee or a 68 Charger R/T.  I love 'em both, and whichever one pops up first will be the lucky winner.   :2thumbs:

Dino

A12 Superbee

Quote from: nastyhawk on October 12, 2015, 12:49:15 PM
Guys, thanks for the responses and your overall welcoming comments. Your inputs helped me decide to continue my search.  When I do find one that reasonably matches it's asking price. I will make sure I post it up on here.  

I'm either looking for a 69.5 A12 Super Bee or a 68 Charger R/T.  I love 'em both, and whichever one pops up first will be the lucky winner.   :2thumbs:

You have good taste! That kind of money is what people ask over here in Australia, still too much of course, but they do ask it.

I have an A12 Bee but man I'd love a 68 Charger!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!