News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help diagnosing intermittent miss

Started by XH29N0G, October 11, 2015, 09:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I am looking for a systematic way to approach diagnosing an intermittent miss that started today.

This morning I changed the oil and replaced the rotor on an MSD ready to run distributor.  Then I took the car for a drive, and it was fine up until the end, when there was an intermittent miss.  It may have started as I ran it up through 2nd on an on ramp.  I reved a little higher than normal, probably close to 5800 RPM, but it has seen that before.  It has a hydraulic flat tappet cam.  After this, I thought I noticed something like a miss in 5th cruising at 1500-1800 RPM but not at higher RPM.  When I got off the highway, I noticed a definite irregular, intermittent miss and I could see it on the tachometer (drop in RPM).  I did not time it, but I think it occurred too infrequently to be a specific cylinder missing every time it was supposed to fire.  Unfortunately, I had to go to work, so I put the car away before being able to diagnose it idling at home.

Earlier this evening, I checked the rotor and visually, all looks good.  Oil etc... are fine.  I just checked all plug wires and all look good. 
Next time I start it, I will check the wiring from the key because it has had strange behavior with the connection from the harness to the key - that seems to shake loose sometimes and turned things on and off.  I do not think that is what is happening now, but will check.

I know this is a short description with little information, but I am hoping someone can help and am looking for recommendations on other things to check.

I saw a thread from a while back about a bent pushrod doing something similar.  I don't want to pull the valve covers just yet, but will ultimately check that.  Are there other tests I can do to check?

Thank you in advance.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

A pushrod wouldnt be intermittant. Start at the tailpipe and listen for which side its missing on. Narrow down from there to a specific cylinder. Then swap the plug and wire on the one missi g to another and see if it follows.

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

I've used similar methods before to locate single cylinders by pulling plug wires off at the cap one at a time with insulated pliers and listening for a change or not