News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

American Graffiti Impala Auction Last Recently

Started by Ghoste, October 08, 2015, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Apparently the Impala driven by Ron Howards character in American Graffiti was placed for auction last weekend?  My understanding was that the pre-sale estimate was 800k to a million plus for it but it didn't sell so I was wondering just what it did actually bid for.  I can't seem to find out much info beyond that, does anyone else know more about it?

Mike DC

That's a cool & valuable car.  But IMO it would have pulled a lot more money & interest 10 years ago.  They waited too long. 

JB400

I wonder why they expected this Impala to bring so much?  Generally, movie cars only go for between $50k and $250k, depending on the role it played and how popular the movie was.  Please note, I've seen a few go for less, but this covers the majority.

Mike DC

AG was way beyond just a "car movie" for a certain generation.  That car has at least some desirability by itself.  And there was only one copy of it used in the filming.

But yeah I agree, $800k seems like way too high of an estimate from the start.  IMO they would have been doing well to get $300k. 

el dub

Eight hundred thousand is funny. It only cost seven hundred thousand to make the movie. What I liked was the impala had 59 caddy taillights. That's actually what people did with their impalas in those days. I know, I kyped a few of them off the car lots on Blackstone. Lots of mad caddy owners in those days. :D
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mytur Binsdirti

This should be in the "delusional sellers" thread.

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 08, 2015, 12:05:57 PM

That's a cool & valuable car.  But IMO it would have pulled a lot more money & interest 10 years ago.  They waited too long.  

I think you are on to something there.  

Interesting that they chose a movie memorabilia auction versus a prominent car auction venue. 

stripedelete

Yes.  Some one wasn't paying attention to demographics.

Ghoste

Ghoste

That much I knew but I can't seem to find what it bid to.

tan top

totally insane  , amount  imo 

when & if that car sells  , for anything close  to 800k , wonder how many  replicas  with show up on ebay  etc  advertised for equally stupid amounts   :P

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Having not seen or paid much attention to the the movie,  the car I associate with the film is the yellow hot rod.     THAT would be the car to bring significant money.   

To the point made about waiting too long to sell, the F & F crowd certainly isn't sitting down to watch AG.    The Impala is so bland, if it showed up at a cruise night, a lot of people would not know what it is and walk past it.   

The film memorabilia auction path was interesting to me, but it would seem to exclude the rest of the car world knowing about it.   I do think the car would be a good candidate for Arizona in January with all the hype that can be generated.   

stripedelete

The hot rod?   Not so sure.   The Impala was my favorite.  Was it actually focused Harrison Ford's Chevy?   Or the elusive white T-bird?   I don't know.   :shruggy:   

But, I'm pretty sure the generation it focused on is closer to 80 than 70.  They're not dropping $800k on thier high school $300 POS.  Probably why it's at the memorabilia auction.

Aero426

Quote from: stripedelete on October 09, 2015, 10:37:05 AM
The hot rod?   Not so sure.   The Impala was my favorite.  Was it actually focused Harrison Ford's Chevy?   Or the elusive white T-bird?   I don't know.   :shruggy:    

But, I'm pretty sure the generation it focused on is closer to 80 than 70.  They're not dropping $800k on thier high school $300 POS.  Probably why it's at the memorabilia auction.

I think those guys are still out there and there is still money being spent.  In some cases without good reason.   But I agree they are not getting younger.    As to the memorabilia auction, if you look at some of the prices realized,  there is real dough being spent there as well.      Just the wrong venue for the car.  

Did anyone see the Porsche Speedster beater that recently sold for over $500k at auction?    That is the price of a best of the best restored one.    And this one was not nice.     Be easy if we had a crystal  ball.   Obviously, at least two people wanted it.

Ghoste

I learned a long time ago not to predict the outcome of any auction.   :lol:

JB400

That's for sure.  For some reason, auctions make people :image_294343: