News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

swapping eddy to holley question

Started by Stegs, October 08, 2015, 07:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

quick question for you guys

I have a 600 cfm eddy performer carb now. I just bought a Holley 4160 with the dual inlet (i have the fuel line "splitter")

My question is, i have the metal fuel line from the pump that goes up the front of the motor and then hooks to the carb (in the back)

how do i get the metal fuel line to work with the holley?

Do i cut it near the front of the motor and run a rubber fuel line?

Should i add a in line fuel filter before the carb?

68charger440

Do you have a pipe bender and flaring tool to fab your own custom line?  A 5' stick of fuel line is under $10, and it comes with a fitting on each end.
You can use the rubber line if you are not racing, but it doesn't look as clean.  Then there are the "A-N" connectors. They get a bit more expensive, but work and look good too.  
You can turn the fuel line splitter backwards and have it feed from the back if it is like the one I have.
I have had a nightmare with something disintegrating in my fuel tank and then getting sucked up and clogging everything, so a good fuel filter in an easy to change place can't hurt too.  :Twocents:
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Stegs

Quote from: 68charger440 on October 08, 2015, 09:24:52 AM
Do you have a pipe bender and flaring tool to fab your own custom line?  A 5' stick of fuel line is under $10, and it comes with a fitting on each end.
You can use the rubber line if you are not racing, but it doesn't look as clean.  Then there are the "A-N" connectors. They get a bit more expensive, but work and look good too.  I have had a nightmare with something disintegrating in my fuel tank and then getting sucked up and clogging everything, so a good fuel filter in an easy to change place can't hurt too.  :Twocents:

I have a flaring tool and bender.....but what i was thinking (and this may be wrong)

But it comes up the front of the motor, and then bends 90 to the back of the motor

what if i cut the line right before it bends, get a rubber hose (not racing at all) and it run it to the new holley.

somewhere between the metal fuel line and the carb intake lines i put a "in line fuel filter" ...

would that affect the proper fuel pressure i need for the holley at all

maybe im looking at it wrong....im just curious what people do

68charger440

I have seen that done many times, but if you have any issues with heat, the filter may catch it more and and put it in the fuel.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

68charger440

If you flip your splitter backward then you have the option of easilly switching back ond forth between the two carbs if need be.  I think your fuel pressure will be fine either way.  I did battle this summer with vaporlock, so I routed my fuel lines and filters as far away from heat sources as possible,.

Stegs

Quote from: 68charger440 on October 08, 2015, 09:50:40 AM
If you flip your splitter backward then you have the option of easilly switching back ond forth between the two carbs if need be.  I think your fuel pressure will be fine either way.  I did battle this summer with vaporlock, so I routed my fuel lines and filters as far away from heat sources as possible,.

i could put the splitter on so it faces the firewall

then i could reuse most of the metal line the way it is....but then i would need to put a bend with rubber hose, with a filter

Ill play around with it i guess...i dont have any fuel issues now, id like to keep it that way

303 Mopar

I would not suggest flipping and running your line all the way up to the front of the engine to the pump and then all the way to the back and up to the splitter.  I would suggest bending a new line with a fitting for your splitter, or if heat is a concern doing something like I did last week.

I switched from an Eddy carb to a Proform which is Holley based, with a dual line.  I was having heat issues with my fuel, so along with adding a return line, I added a Cool Carb heat shield and spacer, and re-routed my fuel line and mounted a filter on the inner fender (see pic below).  I then wrapped the entire line from the firewall to the dual line with DEI heat wrap.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

68charger440

That gives it a nice clean look too.  I put mine by the firewall because I also needed to install a bypass regulator to get my vaporlock under control, and back by the firewall was a nice clean spot that Ron recommended.  Since it is not having overheating problems and doesn't need the bypass regulator then I would probably go over the front too.  I had mine that way before I stroked out my motor and it worked and looked good. :2thumbs:
If you want to keep the original fuel line intact or have the easy option of putting the old carb back on then the reverse feed will be easier, if you don't care then I would probably go with 303 Mopar's solution.

myk

I like that Cool 'Carb piece.  How well does it work?

Stegs

got the carb installed tonight

went pretty good until i hit a road block

2 things that are giving me a headache

1. the dual fuel line that hughes sent will hit my coil....so what do i do with that?

2. my edelbrock air cleaner wont work now b/c it hits the coil....

so im guessing i have to relocate the coil....but where? with the ac compressor its pretty tight and i only have so long coil wire

its a firecore ignition and a eddy performer intake....

help?

68charger440

If you loosen the coil hold down clamp you might be able to slide it enough back inside the hold down clamp to fit the fuel line and air cleaner back on.  You might want to contact Ron "Firefighter3931" here on the site to see if he would be willing to make you up a longer coil wire.  He is a Firecore dealer.
A carb spacer might give you more room for the air cleaner also.

Mopar Nut

Any pictures?

I bought a ford coil bracket for mine, has one mounting hole. This is temporary until I install my six pack.  :icon_smile_big:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

I know some guys are running their coil on the inner fender somewhere.  I wouldn't want to put my coil there but if it has to move off of the manifold then so be it...

Stegs

Quote from: myk on October 09, 2015, 02:51:04 AM
I know some guys are running their coil on the inner fender somewhere.  I wouldn't want to put my coil there but if it has to move off of the manifold then so be it...

ill see if i can move it some more

I already moved the coil as far over to the passenger side so it would fit the front of the carb....i may have to scrap the idea of using the holley splitter and just do custom fuel lines

As far as the air cleaner, do i have any other options? i like the idea of a mopar filter, but will it work with the coil?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P5249807/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710509686&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848283&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwy92wBRCl7trx4PaIo8EBEiQASPhtC3H3TyvwBFsW6hwLAiTIt_ztn1DtEhLA8XrSKlBheSsaAj8M8P8HAQ

68charger440

I used to have that cleaner on my car with a stock coil location.  I may have had a carb spacer on there too but I can't remember for sure. If you elongate the mounting holes on the bracket you may get enough wiggle room to get everything to fit.

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on October 08, 2015, 03:49:39 PM
I like that Cool 'Carb piece.  How well does it work?

I've taken temp measurements before, and should have some after this weekend and will post a separate thread to not take over this one.

I have a coil relocation bracket I got from Mancini that I am going to send back because I am mounting my coil on the inner fender to get it away from the heat and shaking of the engine.  Let me know if you want it ($23.95 + ship is what I paid).  It mounts to your drivers (or passenger) side manifold bolts and then to the coil bracket to get it away from your fuel line and air cleaner.  A drop base air cleaner with no carb spacer will usually hit the coil in the stock location.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

hemigeno

If you do happen to use a piece of rubber hose in conjunction with a section of hand-formed metal fuel line, put a flare on the end of the metal fuel line section

The pic below shows the carnage after a previous owner of my car swapped out his stock Carter AVS for a Holley.  He used a section of clear fuel line and worm-drive clamps between the pump and the carb (popular back in 1977 when this happened).  Without a flare on the metal fuel line stub, the fuel pump pressure slowly forced the clear plastic line off the end of the metal line... and sprayed gasoline all over the top of his hot engine.

*poof*

68charger440

Ouch...that'll ruin you day in a hurry!

Stegs

thanks for the info guys

I manages to move the coil far enough to get the air filter to fit...I still may use that mopar filter just b/c its awesome  :drool5:

i will end up having to bend my own lines to make it work, the splitter i got will not work at all.

My father in law had to re-do all his fuel lines on his jeep CJ7. He said he would help me out and he said its really not difficult, just takes time

So we will end up doing that when he has time.

1 more question. My holley came with a black and red wire for the electric choke. I was going to resuse the red wire from my eddy, but since i turned the coil i will now need to use the wire provided

My question is where does the black wire go? the negative post on the carb has a wire coming from it and grounding to the carb body?

The red wire goes to the positive post on the carb, to the coil ...???

My instructions say red must go to a ignition source, but on my eddy the red wire in my coil. On holley youtube page, they say thats a no-no?

where do i hook up my red wire? and whats the black wire for if the negative is already have a wire to it?

68charger440

Black grounded to carb body is good, red to battery is bad.  Connect the red to a switched 12v source so that it only comes on when the ignition switch is in the run position.

Stegs

Quote from: 68charger440 on October 12, 2015, 08:00:46 AM
Black grounded to carb body is good, red to battery is bad.  Connect the red to a switched 12v source so that it only comes on when the ignition switch is in the run position.

my eddy came off my coil...not good?

any suggestions on a charger that i should go too?

68charger440

I would tap into one of the fused accessory blades on your fuseblock.  Just use your multimeter to make sure it is 12v when the key is in the run position, and 0v when the key is off.

Dino

I used to have a wire running from the fuse box to the choke which is how it should be.  Unfortunately the previous owner decided to stick it through the heater tube grommet, ruining it in the process. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stegs