News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another dash question....

Started by marshallfry01, October 07, 2015, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

I know the dash pads are different on a 70 verses a 68 or 69, but are the dash frames different as well?  If I wanted to put 69 dash pads on my 70 dash... would that work?  I know I'd have to switch the out steering column because of the key location, but if I could reuse my 70 dash frame that would be one less thing to convert.  I'm wanting to make a 69 general lee out of my 70.  I'm getting nit picky I know, but I want everything on the car to look like a 69 besides the vin.... 

Thanks!

Marshall
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Ghoste

Ignition switch is in the dash for 68 and 69, you'll have to cut a hole for that.

marshallfry01

Quote from: Ghoste on October 08, 2015, 05:51:28 AM
Ignition switch is in the dash for 68 and 69, you'll have to cut a hole for that.
Quote from: Ghoste on October 08, 2015, 05:51:28 AM

Is the key hole the only difference?
1969 Charger 383/auto

Ghoste

As far as major differences, I think it is.  (not 100% though)

GT

If i have some time I'll take a look at my unit.  I have a 70 and specifically planned to put a 69 lower pad (I intend to place a push start button).  If I recall, that portion of the 69 pad mounts up.  The 70 frame has the same hole cut out for where the key wound mount - but i believe there maybe a bracket that the ignition key bolts into - you'd have to look at a 69 dash frame to be sure... but there is a hole for it.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

marshallfry01

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto

GT

I checked out my parts i acquired years ago - and I was incorrect.
While I am sure you "could" figure out how to mount the pads - they are different.  Mounting locations do not match, and worse, the 70 units/dash frame extend lower.  So if you put the non-70 pads on, you will see about 1-1/2" of the metal frame hanging down.

There is a hole in the dash - but it does not line up to where the ignition switch is.  Here are a couple pics of the left and right lower pads in comparison on a 70 frame.

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

And this one seals the deal - nu Bueno:

2012 Charger SRT8

marshallfry01

Alrighty... I didn't think I was gonna get the answer I wanted in the first place... Maybe I should sell my 70 and search for a 69
1969 Charger 383/auto

GeneralLee440

Yea Im doing the same thing. I have a 70 Charger and Im converting it to a 69 turn it into a GL. Your ashtray from tour 70 will work for the 69 frame but everything else is different. Dont forget to drill out  the rivets on your VIN tag and swap it over to the 69 frame. I believe the the dash pad itself is the same but the glove box for a 70 opens from the top and 69 opens from the bottom.
I have had my 70 frame for sale about a month and havent got a bite on it. Im getting ready to just cut the A/C vents out for templates for someone to convert their car to A/C then I will probably just scrap it.
Anthony

1970 Dodge Charger...Future General Lee

oldcarnut

If your carefull with getting the original rivits out then you might be able to reuse them for correct look

twenty mike mike

Quote from: GT on October 09, 2015, 12:18:00 PM
And this one seals the deal - nu Bueno:

GT,

Interested in getting rid of that blue one?

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey Marshall, I have some good '69 ones and I'm looking for some '70 ones or similar to see if they fit my '69 dash. Do you know if the 70 ones will fit mine? Of so, would you be interested in a trade. I'll post some photo's for you if you like? I'm using an Ididit coloum with key switch so I don't want to leave a hole in my dash if I can help it.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on November 06, 2015, 12:46:51 PM
Hey Marshall, I have some good '69 ones and I'm looking for some '70 ones or similar to see if they fit my '69 dash. Do you know if the 70 ones will fit mine? Of so, would you be interested in a trade. I'll post some photo's for you if you like? I'm using an Ididit coloum with key switch so I don't want to leave a hole in my dash if I can help it.
.      The 70's will not go on the 69.   I can't pull it up now but do a search where I compared the two.  I had restored a 69 Frame only to find out I couldn't put my 70 pads on it.   Here ya go http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114013.0.html

Aussiemadonmopars