News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine belching water from radiator overflow hose

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, September 07, 2015, 09:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

My car belches coolant after each drive where the engine comes up to temp. Is this a sign of a bad cap, or something similar? The coolant temp per my infrared gauge is around 190*. I do know that I need to flush the system throughly. The coolant color does not look good to me.

Thanks

303 Mopar

When was the last time you flushed the system? 

If you keep filling the radiator it will bleed off the excess coolant it does not need.  Fill it a couple of inches below the lip, run it a few times and do not refill it.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

c00nhunterjoe

I would run a 15 or 16 lb cap. If you are running no overflow bottle then you cant fill the rad to the top
You have to leave about 1.5 to 2 inches below the cap, or just enough to cover the fins. This allows for expansion. My advice is put an expansion tank on it.

Lol, beat me to it by a few seconds
:cheers:

Ghoste

It could be one or both of those things so I'm just echoing the others.  These cars have a way of finding their coolant level and the caps can certainly wear out over time.

Sixt8Chrgr

Thanks guys. I am going to flush the system real good, add a new cap and keep the level just over the cooling fins.

:2thumbs:

Dino

I keep the level right at the plate over the fins and it doesn't try to expell any coolant.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I fill it up fairly high (not right to the filler neck) and then let the car pick its own level.  I have a can at the bottom of the hose to catch the excess that will blow off.

Bandit72

Quote from: Ghoste on September 11, 2015, 05:37:57 AM
I fill it up fairly high (not right to the filler neck) and then let the car pick its own level.  I have a can at the bottom of the hose to catch the excess that will blow off.

This is how we do it around here also.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

suburbanfireman

Not to hijack the thread, but my car is doing the same thing.  I have a cross-flow (side tank) aluminum radiator in my charger and it seems to like it will always puke coolant until it drops to approximately 2-3 inches from the top.  It won't hurt to have a slight air-gap in the radiator?? 
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Ghoste

If it isn't overheating after it's puke, then no, it's just the Charger telling you its full.

JB400

You don't want to fill it up all the way anyway.  It needs room to allow for expansion.

c00nhunterjoe

In my opinion and experiences, running it lower then full to allow for expansion within the radiator will cause air in the system and hotter temps then if you run it full with an expansion tank.