News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to pickup a 1971 Charger Superbee

Started by velrob, October 07, 2015, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

velrob

Thanks for the reply

i will try a 1/8 nozzle which the manual for my abrasive blaster says i should be using on a 4HP compressor so mine is alittle larger.

i will try to filter the sand and see how it does.

thanks alot

velrob

Hello all.   Was wondering if someoen could answer a question that I cant figure out.  I was searching for heater cores for the charger and what i found was that my heater core is from a 74 charger.   Is it possible they swapped the heater box ?  Are they a direct fit?

the heater core picture is attached

before i order the gasket kit and new heater core.  i am baffled.   i went to rock auto to search for 71 heater cores but nothing matched up.

velrob

Can anyone tell me if its difficult to repair door hinges?  they sell a door hinge kit but im not sure if any special tools are needed to fix them?

Hinge kit:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mopar-Door-Hinge-Repair-Kit-71-72-74-Charger-SuperBee-Satellite-RoadRunner-GTX-/291464179017?hash=item43dc9e6d49:g:yvwAAMXQS6pRrYA4&vxp=mtr

Besides drilling out the pins etc.   Anyone know of any instructions how to repair them?

polywideblock

Quote from: velrob on December 28, 2015, 10:24:36 AM
Hello all.   Was wondering if someoen could answer a question that I cant figure out.  I was searching for heater cores for the charger and what i found was that my heater core is from a 74 charger.   Is it possible they swapped the heater box ?  Are they a direct fit?

before i order the gasket kit and new heater core.  i am baffled.   i went to rock auto to search for 71 heater cores but nothing matched up.
[/quote

is it just a heater core, or has someone swapped in aircon from a 74? what does your firewall look like where heater hoses goes through ?

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on December 28, 2015, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: velrob on December 28, 2015, 10:24:36 AM

[/quote

is it just a heater core, or has someone swapped in aircon from a 74? what does your firewall look like where heater hoses goes through ?

I really dont know if the heater box was swapped also as I dont know what a 71 looks like.

im guessing this is where the two pipes go through on the firewall (picture attached)

the box was bolted down properly so im not questioning if it fits at all, but just curious if its possible a swap was done maybe under warranty way back or something

if anyone has a picture of a 71 heater box i can tell and know what gasket set to order.

polywideblock

if I had to guess I'd say someone has swapped in a 74 core /heater  cause that's what they had   :scratchchin:    your firewall still looks stock from what I can see

if you search on ebay some venders sell as 71-74 heater cores and some have specific years   :scratchchin:

velrob

i guess ill take my chances and order the gasket kit for the 74

thanks

velrob

hmm looks like the charger is supposed to have a front vapor canister shield.  Can someone tell me where this mounts?   i guess mine disingraded because I have no idea where its supposed to go.  Im ordering extra things I need as i sand blast after i see its rotted.   I noticed AMD had a front shield as well but I never took one off the car.   

attached is the shield.   thanks.

polywideblock

fits in the rear of the  left rear wheel well,  I think you only got the canister with 440 /hemi . Maybe someone else will know for sure   :scratchchin:

velrob

The person im buying the vapor shields from said the shield works on any motor not just 440

i guess i will find out sure enough

while im waiting for metal work to be done (need my friend to come down) im working on restoring other things

superbee logo may be upside down.  i just sat it in to see what it looks like :) but im not sure orientation until i stick it in the dash

CDN72SE

Same as my 72 318 goes in the drivers rear wheel well.

1972 Charger SE

velrob

by looks of it that shield goes in the rear as well?

both shields at rear?

also how can i tell if my wiper washer system is manual or electric?  i need to order a washer bottle.

thanks.

6spd68

Quote from: velrob on December 31, 2015, 02:10:46 PM
i need to order a washer bottle.

Try finding one at a scrapper, or ask on the Parts Wanted section here; you'll likely save some cash  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

velrob

ill try the parts section here:)  only problem is i dont know if the charger is manual or electric.  how can i tell?

im in canada less of chance from scrappers

anyone know how to remove the chrome ends on the heater control ?

im trying to clean it up but im having difficulty removing them.  im not sure if there are screws hidden somewhere?  im trying to pry them off but afraid ill crack it

velrob

nevermind i figured out the washer bottle.  looks like chargers came standard with electric washer pump

velrob

Question about the rear end.  Finally got it off along with frontend. 

Will I need to replace or beef up the rear end to support 450-500hp ?

It seems to be a 8 3/4 rear end.

VegasCharger

Quote from: velrob on January 04, 2016, 01:59:12 PM

anyone know how to remove the chrome ends on the heater control ?

im trying to clean it up but im having difficulty removing them.  im not sure if there are screws hidden somewhere?  im trying to pry them off but afraid ill crack it

Hello Rob, these knobs are removed by pulling on them. There are no set screws. However it takes patience. Take some WD 40 and soak the backsides where the lever inserts into the knob then carefully pull them out by wiggling them and it should work.

They are held in place with some sort of clips inside of the knobs.

Pictured is the backside of these knobs.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

velrob

I just kept them as they are didnt want to damage them pretty hard to get off

still plucking away at the bee

finished heater box and cluster and most of bottom is epoxied.  epoxied part of it so it didnt begin to rust since we blasted it.

blasting inside now and working on drivers side floor.

decided to change the firewall waiting to go pick it up

70 sublime

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 31, 2016, 02:53:39 PM
Don't know if you are looking for a hood but here's one (not mine):

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/city-of-toronto/1971-charger-rt-superbee-hood-with-superbee-insert/1167138805?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Parts car:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/city-of-toronto/parting-out-enitre-1971-charger-superbee/1167167030?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I went and looked at this green car when it was first for sale as a whole car all torn apart

That hood listed was part of this green car

Sad part is when the first guy sold it to second guy he only got $3000 for everything and now second guy wants $1700 for just the hood
Second guy will make his money back
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

VegasCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 31, 2016, 05:32:37 PM
I went and looked at this green car when it was first for sale as a whole car all torn apart

Sad part is when the first guy sold it to second guy he only got $3000 for everything and now second guy wants $1700 for just the hood

Was he asking more for than $3000.00 to start with? Or by only do you mean that $3000.00 was his asking price and it should've been more than that?

70 sublime

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 31, 2016, 06:14:03 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on May 31, 2016, 05:32:37 PM

Was he asking more for than $3000.00 to start with? Or by only do you mean that $3000.00 was his asking price and it should've been more than that?

The green car was listed a while ago and only about 40 minutes away from my house so I went to see it
The car was a whole car when the original guy bought it
He was asking $6000 for it all apart on a rotisserie that was also included 
440 motor 1/2 apart , 727 etc

Wife told him to sell it because in the 3 years that he had it all he did was take it apart
(he even cut the top of the rad support off to lift the motor out because his cherry picker could not lift motor high enough to clear the car and miss the over head garage door)
I offered him $2500 and when I had seen it was sold asked him and he said he let it go for $3000
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

velrob

funny you mention that i didnt even know he paid $3000 i bought many items from him.  i needed the hood+insert

if i saw the car i would of picked it all up but 3k was far off from 6k.  goes to show how far people will drop

the guy that sold it to me told me the first guy paid 2500 for the hideaway lights.  thats crazy

the hood excellent condition rust free

what i got from him:

hood, insert, drip moulding, fenders, rear bumper, front bumper, hideaway headlights, interior pieces, seats, bumper brackets for not to far from 3k

knowing he only paid 3k im gonna try to grab everything else he has for a bit more

i didnt pay 1700 for the hood.

he sold the shell but not sure for what amount

going to sell what i dont use.   

heres update on the car

everything on the front is complete was test fitting the fenders and original hood not so long ago

velrob

pictures

E5 Charger

I love the look of the black gauge cluster. What did you use to paint it?  :2thumbs: