News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to pickup a 1971 Charger Superbee

Started by velrob, October 07, 2015, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

so did you find wether it's got its fender tag :popcrn:

have you registered it with the 71 registry ? lots of good production  numbers   etc

http://www.71chargerrtregistry.com/    :cheers:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

polywideblock

70 sublime

Saw this car listed

If you had the cash it might be worth picking up if the front fenders were any good and it has the hideaway headlight set up on it also
Swap all the parts you want then sell the left over car off again

I like the R/T doors too  :2thumbs:

(Not far from me either so could take a look if need be)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/1971-dodge-charger/1109426762?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1971 Dodge Charger southern shell in very good condition, frame and floors are mint, factory air car, power steering, std brakes, hideaway headlights, power bulge hood, RT doors and taillights, no interior, no engine or trans, would make a great project car.asking $5500 or best offer
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

velrob

Oh damn.   I want those hideaway lights.

I dont have the room for another car  ;D so ill need to find the parts elsewhere. 

and $5500 for a shell I think he's losing his mind.   If he takes $2000 then itll be worth it for me because those hideaway lights seem to be expensive.

I need front/rear valiance, front fenders, rear fenders, bumpers, superbee insert (if i can remove that huge scoop without to much damage)

I was able to copy down the VIN and im not sure if this was a police car or not but this is would I could read as it was hard to make out:

Ck6 c16
Gk6 66t7 St8 310 b70855
265 d32 vk23 n1a 161517

Seems to be 383 High Performance Valiant Police car price code?

What code the price class of Valiant Police mean? lol it was owned by the police?

I forgot to check the casting on the engine.

polywideblock

first letter should be a W  second needs to be a M for super bee  k indicates a cop car   

A   its a lynch road car  :yesnod:   gk6 dark bronze metallic

should be numbers along top of fender tag here that tell you what drivetrain you have

gk6  c16 
gk6   m6t7
e65 d32  ? M or K  23n1a161517

might need to give it a LIGHT rub with something to highlight the figures on fender tag  :scratchchin:

70 sublime

Quote from: velrob on October 11, 2015, 12:00:39 PM

I dont have the room for another car  ;D so ill need to find the parts elsewhere. 

and $5500 for a shell I think he's losing his mind.   If he takes $2000 then itll be worth it for me because those hideaway lights seem to be expensive.

I need front/rear valiance, front fenders, rear fenders, bumpers, superbee insert (if i can remove that huge scoop without to much damage)

I was able to copy down the VIN and im not sure if this was a police car or not but this is would I could read as it was hard to make out:

Ck6 c16
Gk6 66t7 St8 310 b70855
265 d32 vk23 n1a 161517

What code the price class of Valiant Police mean? lol it was owned by the police?

Yes he might be asking a little much but who ever pays more than you are asking :)
It says OBO

Just think up here in Canada it will cost at least $1000 to get that head light grill set up
If the front fenders are steel and any good that is worth another $1000
Power bulge hood $500
Another $600 to $800 for a good pair of rare R/T doors

You are already over $3000 in parts you are looking for

Put all your left over parts back on and sell it again for a little less than you payed and still be ahead

I talked to him and all the vin tags were removed from the car when it came across the boarder so leagally it is just a parts car

Could offer $4000 and come up to $4500 and I think you would make out fine in the end  :icon_smile_wink:

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 11, 2015, 12:18:52 PM
first letter should be a W  second needs to be a M for super bee  k indicates a cop car   

A   its a lynch road car  :yesnod:   gk6 dark bronze metallic

should be numbers along top of fender tag here that tell you what drivetrain you have

gk6  c16 
gk6   m6t7
e65 d32  ? M or K  23n1a161517

might need to give it a LIGHT rub with something to highlight the figures on fender tag  :scratchchin:

the VIN on the side of the door starts with W i verified that.  it is a superbee

i was reading the metal plate under the hood

scott1973

Stick with a 71' or 72'.  I've got a 73' and not nearly as many parts available.  That is my biggest problem. 
Good luck...
Scott

velrob

I'm trying to make him an offer.  I need the bumpers also and a new trunk floor and front plus rear valiance

I'm gojng to calculate what everything will cost. Does that hood come with any scoop? All I see is a bump but that's it. 

Which line came with that hood?  I like the superbee insert.  But that hood is better than the one I have now

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 10, 2015, 11:32:17 PM
if 7th  vin  number is an A then this will help    http://andy440.com/tag2.htm

Yup the seventh character is an A

Vin starts with wm23n1

I will put it into the registry soon.  Been up till 4am since I picked it up stripping it down

velrob

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 11, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Ck6 c16
Gk6 66t7 St8 310 b70855
265 d32 vk23 n1a 161517

Yes he might be asking a little much but who ever pays more than you are asking :)
It says OBO

Just think up here in Canada it will cost at least $1000 to get that head light grill set up
Power bulge hood $500

Put all your left over parts back on and sell it again for a little less than you payed and still be ahead

I talked to him and all the vin tags were removed from the car when it came across the boarder so leagally it is just a parts car

Could offer $4000 and come up to $4500 and I think you would make out fine in the end  :icon_smile_wink:

I think your right.  I just calculated what i need mostly body wise and its around 4k.  If everything in that car is useable then it's worth it

I made him an offer if he takes it I'll be golden 

70 sublime

I emailed him this morning on the car

Maybe tell him David in Port Hope sent you a link to the ad  :2thumbs:

As for the power bulge hood I think the super bee hood is the same shape but with the hole cut in the center
My parents had a 73 Charger with a 400 motor and it had the bulge hood on it
Probably close to 20 years ago now I picked up a bulge hood and put it on a 73 Charger that had a slant 6 in it  ;)

VegasCharger

It says OBO

Power bulge hood $500

Could offer $4000 and come up to $4500 and I think you would make out fine in the end  :icon_smile_wink:

In my world power bulge hoods go for way more than that and I'm talking about the bubble hoods with NO inserts.

Just sayin' :shruggy:

70 sublime

Quote from: VegasCharger on October 11, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
It says OBO

Power bulge hood $500

Could offer $4000 and come up to $4500 and I think you would make out fine in the end  :icon_smile_wink:

In my world power bulge hoods go for way more than that and I'm talking about the bubble hoods with NO inserts.

Just sayin' :shruggy:

The guy with the car for sale has another ad for another bulge hood only and he is asking $1500 for it
Do not think I would ever want one that bad
Think I only paid $300 for the one I bought those many years ago (still have the plain flat hood in the shed that is in perfect shape)

velrob

Almost done stripping the car apart.  Rear bumper and valance left plus the dash

the bumpers are banged up.  should i try to straighten them or look for different bumpers?

some rust spots under the car attached pics.

will i need to have that supports cut out and new put in?

waiting for my new parts from summit to come in.  coil is dead so i cant start it up.   looks like oil hasnt been changed in a long time came out like water.

now trying to figure out to buy the parts car or order after market fenders etc.

70 sublime

So now you have found the rotten frame rails and now you know why the guy dropped in price so much to sell it
Lots and lots of work to change them

I thought you had it up on your hoist to look at it before you bought it ??

Now you have learned the hard way what to look for (I think we all have done this with our first car as I know I did)

Go and look at the parts car in person as it seems there may be more usefull parts on it if it is good

billfury

Get that 71 shell. You are going to find more things wrong with that Bee,and regret not buying it.You will spend more money trying to save money! I know because I've done it. Did you check the cowl yet? These cars rot there too. Good luck.

70 sublime

(looking at the pictures I figured out what I was going to ask)

Pete in NH

I think you're now seeing why the car was at the price it was. From the photos you've posted the car is going to require quite a bit of body work. I would get underneath the car and really check out the frame rails, time to break out the chipping hammer and start tapping.  I know you are new to old cars but, this is something you do before you buy a car. If one rear frame rail is gone carefully check the other one. I can see you being in for rear quarter panels given the flare modifications and rust, trunk extensions, trunk floor and of course frame rail repairs. Time to check out what AMD (Auto Metal Direct) has available and buy a MIG welder if you don't have one. You will likely have to get the frame rails from a parts car. I don't know how you feel about learning serious body work but, this kind of car gets very expensive fast to have a professional shop do the work.

polywideblock

wow those frame  rails are shot    :brickwall:   if that donor car has decent rails its looking better and better   :yesnod:

velrob

We will be doing most of the work ourselves otherwise yea a body shop will cost tons.

But I think someone wanted $700 to replace a frame rail.

I didnt tap the other frame rail but I will tonight.    The cowl looks pretty good.  The floor looks pretty good.

We didnt have it on our hoist we have it on stands over there and it didnt look bad.

I will be picking up a mid welder.

VegasCharger

Sorry that you have discovered these rust issues. Hang in there. Maybe buying the parts car roller might be best or:

I have a complete rear frame rail set-up from a 73 Charger which fits 71-74 B Body. I also have the front frame rails but they only fit 73-74 B Body. Here's the link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116221.0.html

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

polywideblock

check the seam that goes from one side to the other  on the fire wall it is where the cowl and firewall panels meet

you can see it in this pic  

this is a 71 challenger but gives an idea of what is behind the seem shows top and bottom halves

and don't forget to pull the kick panels and look inside A pillar  :yesnod:

Ghoste

Cheap projects seldom are but hang in there.

velrob

Quote from: VegasCharger on October 12, 2015, 07:30:07 PM
Sorry that you have discovered these rust issues. Hang in there. Maybe buying the parts car roller might be best or:

I have a complete rear frame rail set-up from a 73 Charger which fits 71-74 B Body. I also have the front frame rails but they only fit 73-74 B Body. Here's the link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116221.0.html

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

where are you located?

Im interested in the rear frame rails.