News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to pickup a 1971 Charger Superbee

Started by velrob, October 07, 2015, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

velrob

Can anyone let me know where the Super Bee emblems were on the charger?

I  understand there was one on the dash insert and seems there were others (besides the hood decal). 

They were two on the fenders.  Was there anything on the hood besides the decal ?

I cant find any pictures.   The car comes with fiberglass fenders as the original owner wanted less weight.  I'd need to drill holes for the emblems or replace the fenders with original.

Pete in NH

Hi,

Welcome to the group and Charger ownership. It looks like you've found quite a project there. Those rear wheel wells are definitely flared and not original. I think in the long run those front fiberglass fenders are going to be problems and you might want to consider looking for some good metal ones. Because of the marker lights it's a one year only fender. What are your plans for the car? 383's are great running engines.

velrob

Quote from: Pete in NH on October 09, 2015, 12:51:19 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the group and Charger ownership. It looks like you've found quite a project there. Those rear wheel wells are definitely flared and not original. I think in the long run those front fiberglass fenders are going to be problems and you might want to consider looking for some good metal ones. Because of the marker lights it's a one year only fender. What are your plans for the car? 383's are great running engines.

I'm going to keep the 383 for now and possibly swap it to a 440 later.  But I think the 383 might be enough for me.

Why will the fiberglass front fenders become a problem?  I think i saw fenders for around $300usd each plus shipping.  Not to bad.

Pete in NH

Fiberglass  tends to flex and crack eventually and the overall fit and quality of reproduction fiberglass is nowhere near as good as the original factory metal parts. From the looks of the pictures you posted you are going to be in for a fair amount of body work so you might as well add front fenders to the list.

by the way Legendary interiors has just about all the interior pieces you might need although they are a bit pricey.

velrob

Ah ok good to know.

I will start to look for fenders then.

Is Legendary Interiors all repro ?

polywideblock

welcome to the club    :cheers:      yeah flares ,hood scoop ,fenders  all point to a 80's street machine  :yesnod:  

you need the fender tag or build sheet to tell you how it came down the line    :yesnod:      good luck with the hunt

here's your insert    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-DODGE-SUPER-BEE-R-T-CHARGER-BUBBLE-HOOD-INSERT-1971-only-VERY-RARE-PART-/321886352614?hash=item4af1ebf4e6&vxp=mtr

lead to some metal  fenders http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-dodge-charger-lh-rh-fenders-/271999316238?hash=item3f546c310e&vxp=mtr

badge placement front    

rear  

Google is your friend        :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

birdsandbees

Just googled some pics and I see someone also added a fender / hood pic to the thread. I was pretty certain I got the Superbee emblems off the hood back in '79, but looks like I got them from the fenders if the '71's are stick on??! 36 years ago and I was probably drinking beer at the time!  :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 09, 2015, 02:59:12 PM
   welcome to the club    :cheers:      yeah flares ,hood scoop ,fenders  all point to a 80's street machine  :yesnod:  

you need the fender tag or build sheet to tell you how it came down the line    :yesnod:      good luck with the hunt

here's your insert    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-DODGE-SUPER-BEE-R-T-CHARGER-BUBBLE-HOOD-INSERT-1971-only-VERY-RARE-PART-/321886352614?hash=item4af1ebf4e6&vxp=mtr

lead to some metal  fenders http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-dodge-charger-lh-rh-fenders-/271999316238?hash=item3f546c310e&vxp=mtr

badge placement front    

rear  

Google is your friend        :yesnod:

I saw the insert on google.  Hunting around a bit before I jump on it.   I emailed a place to see if they have the insert.  They have a hood + insert.   

Also I saw some fenders around also im trying to see where I saw them.  $500 usd is pretty good for the pair.   

as for that purple superbee.  its difficult to see the emblem.  Is there superbee below the CHARGER ?   And is that a stick on decal or emblem ?

polywideblock

if original motor there will be a partial vin stamped on a pad just above the oil pan rail on the passenger side

JB400

On the back end of the purple super bee, the emblem is beside the Charger emblem, there is no Super Bee script.

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 09, 2015, 03:29:47 PM
if original motor there will be a partial vin stamped on a pad just above the oil pan rail on the passenger side

Tonight i will have it on the hoist if this guy shows up.. hopefully nothing happened lol

Dino

Very cool, congrats on getting a new toy!   :2thumbs:

Nothing wrong with a 383 either.   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

velrob

Finally got the vehicle.

The stupid original owner painted some of the rear panels orange (brown panels).  Anyway to remove the paint?

Can anyone point me to a rebuild manual for the 71? 

I found this:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=0TOWAZJalFYC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=1971+dodge+charger+restore+guide&source=bl&ots=wHXyosEUA9&sig=3KDj0V1BbED0rG5oq6WwRQPdI3M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDsQ6AEwB2oVChMIoN6MyL23yAIVyVY-Ch0rqAey#v=onepage&q=1971%20dodge%20charger%20restore%20guide&f=false

But its no where to be found.  Can anyone point me to something worthwhile?

This way i dont have to document everything.   I have AllData and Mitchell on Demand but no classic info available.

we've begun to take things apart.

Pete in NH

Hi,

There is really no specific guide to restore a 71 Charger. The first book that you really need is the factory service manual set. It's a two book set one book is mechanical/ electrical, the second is for the body.

You do really want to document everything as you go along. Digital cameras are the best restoration tool ever. Take plenty of pictures as you take things apart. Everyone thinks they will remember how things go back together but when the time comes you find out you've forgotten something. The pictures will save you from this.

Get some plastic zip lock bags and bag and tag all the hardware you take off a specific assembly. Label all the parts you remove as to location and function, such as left rear brake backing plate.

What are your plans for the car? It's best to sit down and work out a plan with specific end goals. Then work toward that plan.

There are a few ways to strip off old paint, sand it off, chemical strippers and media blasting. Again, working toward your final plan will help you decide which method will work for you.

71_Charger_R/T

Congrats on the purchase of one of the best looking cars ever built!  Did you get the hood that's pictured, with the car?  It looks like the hood is unmolested underneath the fiberglass scoop and bondo that is slathered all over it.  You may be able to just clean all that garbage off and find an insert for it...... The picture is kind of dark but it looks like I can see the original border of the insert opening.  Looking forward to watching your updates!  :popcrn:

velrob

I dont plan to restore the car to 100% original but reuse as many parts as possible.  The door panels look pretty good need a good shine.

Theres one crack in the dash might get that refinished or try a dash cover for it.   Not sure if those are worthwhile or not.  

The car is for me to drive and possibly passed onto my son when hes older.    I dont think I would ever sell this car.   Im not looking into quarter mile or anything.   I might add extra HP down the road but for now I will keep the engine stock and enjoy this beauty.

I had alot of paint to strip.  Looks like it was painted two times from original.   Brown was the original color, followed by white then metallic black.     Im thinking of painting it some sort of red.  Hot Rod type of red.

Looks like the current seats are aftermarket so not going to keep those as they arent original to begin with, unless the owner had them redone.  How can I tell if the seat guts are original or not?  

The grills on front have a crack.    Going to try to fix that and repaint them.  

Looked at the bottom and its missed a plate (see picture).   I guess I'd need to find this from a scrap yard or off another tranny?

The car had a holley carb (picture added).  Was thinking of rebuilding it.  worthwhile or should I replace it?

It does look like its the original hood with a ton of bondo that i need to rip off.     Once its clean I will hunt for an insert because i dont know the extent of the damage under it yet.    So not sure if i need to find a hood+insert or hood alone.

A buddy of mine has OnDemand vintage collection so I will refer to that and document everything as i go along.  Bought a ton of ziplock bags and masking tape.

Thanks for all replies.

polywideblock

velrob

Oh nice.

i also found this

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Some of the pages look the same as the ebay version.

polywideblock

:2thumbs:  you can get them on disc to , then you just print the pages that you need.

I just  like to have the "book" in front of me  :shruggy:

velrob

Thats true I like the book as well because I hate swiping with my finger.

But printing 243 pages damn lol

:laugh:

Dino

The trans is missing the inspection cover.  Here's one for sale.  Not saying this is a good price, I have no clue, just a reference as to what you need for a 727.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Dodge-Plymouth-727-Transmission-Flywheel-Cover-Dust-inspection-Shield-BB-/231712239439?hash=item35f3202f4f&vxp=mtr

velrob

I found this
http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/mopar_trans.htm

But it looks different than the ebay one.  $45 for a new cover.

Im going to email them to confirm.

Dino

The SS one is aftermarket but should fit although it does not have the tabs up top that slide up between engine and trans.  The ebay one came stock on 727s.

JB400

Those look like they maybe the original buckets, but I'll agree that's not the original covering on the fronts.

polywideblock

one piece seat back / button cover definitely 71    :yesnod: