News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's 69 R/T came new with 5/16" fuel line?

Started by davidcam69, October 04, 2015, 10:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidcam69

Mine did and I know it was original because my Dad ordered it new. I did not know it was 5/16 until I stripped it for restoration. It does have a 3/8ths sending unit. I thought all R/Ts came with 3/8ths fuel line. Is this another factory screw up?

C5X DAYTONA

My 69 Daytona came and still has it's 5/16 fuel line.   Mine has the 3/8 sending unit too.     Someone was sleeping on the job with our cars
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

davidcam69

Back then I added a electric pump because fuel would drop to 2lbs or less going thru the gears. Just wondering if this was a rare mistake. I still have mine also, but it's not on the car.       

Challenger340

Mine is 3/8" line  :shruggy:

Nov 1968 production)1969 model) 440 4 BBL car, and yes it is original.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

hemigeno

In '69 anyway, pretty much all B-bodies except Hemicars were "supposed" to get 5/16" fuel lines.  That's not to say there weren't cars built - perhaps like Challenger340's car - with something other than what they were "supposed" to get; but what davidcam69 observed is not unusual at all.  In fact, that's the norm.  My '69 440 Daytona had 5/16" fuel line on it originally, but my old '69 HemiCharger had 3/8".

Both 440 & 426 cars (just talking 1969 here) had 3/8" fuel tank pickups, even though there is indeed a size mismatch between the pickup & fuel line.  I'm guessing that's going to be the case on most every car more than likely, because 440 cars got the vapor separator (mounted right after the fuel pump) and 1/4" return line like Hemi's.  The 5/16" fuel tank pickups used on other drivetrain combos that year didn't have a port for the return line.

davidcam69

I had it backwards. I thought for all these years the r/ts were suppose to get the 3/8s line. Thanks for the history lesson. With all the performance options, looks like a guy should of been able to order one.

chargerbr549

My 69 R/T 440  Oct 08 1968 production date, Hammtrack plant, has 5/16 fuel line with a 3/8 sending unit.

68 RT

3/8 is supposed to be for multi carbed vehicles. 2bbl and 4 bbl got the 5/16th.