News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling the 69

Started by HANDM, October 04, 2015, 12:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

Hey Guys, I'm thinking of joining the ranks of the delusional Charger sellers. Although in this case, I may be delusional simply for selling a car that has been in my life longer than my children...... Mayhap on price too.... 

69 383 -2 auto PS PB console, is/was an SE but lost the FT so no proof.

#s 383 and trans to go with it both need rebuilt
New brakes and tires, original hubcaps
New front end (except strut bushings)
Perfect frame, original panels, never wrecked
Rebuilt engine and trans (68 383 out of a 68 Charger, trans out of a 66 New yorker, or maybe the original, not sure, never checked)
Decent paint over dp 90 over original solid paint
Quarter patches and bodywork done poorly but looks good, two piece trunk welded in but easilly removed
New but dirty door panels, carpet, headliner and sets covers, original dash, upper pads and dash pad
Looks really good and all panels and gaps are nearly perfect, body lines, not so much
Needs new vinyl top, no rust underneath
Missing one lower rear window corner
Needs heater core, currently bypassed
Runs, drives and stops but not very well, needs carburetor and brakes bled
Lots of extra parts, door, hood, decklid, glass, trim.....

Basically I'm done with this car, owning it, simply put, no longer pleases me and it's time for someone to love it like I used to
Any Idea what I can reasonable expect to get for it? I have a good idea but would like your opinions
Thanks
Pics to follow

HANDM

Link to pics......These pics are five yrs old, new ones wont upload. Same car, just dirtier.... :cheers:

http://s981.photobucket.com/user/CHL2T/library/Charger?sort=3&page=1

Homerr

My eyeballs are having a difficult time interpreting the color - dark purple metallic?  If I was a potential buyer here is what I would be looking at.

Some good points:  looks mostly complete; console; drives under own power; sold with original 383/727.

In any case it looks like this car needs everything touched and would be a good candidate to go down to bare metal eventually since the paint looks flat and has a lot of orange peel.  The paint on the underside of the deck lid looks like a shortcut.  Those sure look like rust bubbles under the vinyl on the sail panel passenger side.  What is going on with the firewall around the wiper motor area?  A patch, fiberglass?  Is that a manual brake reservoir on a power booster?

This really seems like one of those cars that needs to be seen in person to inventory what extent items need to be left as-is, refurbished, or replaced.  This car has the potential to swallow $30,000 worth of work/parts and still not be back on it's wheels.

With the market as it is right now it seems like $20k would be an easy sell and $25k would be getting aggressive.  Might get the high-end on ebay if you trust buyers will follow through.

I really think it should be a $12-15k car given the amount of money it really needs and anyone paying over that will be underwater on the car if they do any more than tinker with it to get it to be a reliable driver. 

HANDM

Thanks Homer,

Yep, the color is a dark purple metallic single stage.....Plenty of orange peel and yes the new owner would probably take it down to metal, I just wasn't prepared to do that.
No rust under top, just air bubbles
Firewall has undercoating on it, painted over. The other side has a piece of sheet metal covering the AC blower hole
Decklid didn't get sanded all that well so yeah, shortcut

Could be the wrong MS, its a parts store special

If one could get a 69, in this condition, for 12-15, it would be a steal beyond all reasonable expectations
I was thinking 25 and get beat down from there.... Just not looking forward to a hundred different potential buyers doing it

marshallfry01

I feel like 20-25k would be a respectable price.  :2thumbs: If I wasn't paying for college and airplane rental I would buy it right now.  That is the exact condition I want to buy a 69 in. Looks like a nice driver IMO.

Good luck with the sale!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.