News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

one of one shelby GLHS

Started by polywideblock, October 03, 2015, 11:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

I know we,re aimed at earlier car but thought this was pretty cool  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-GLHS-Shelby-/111771278499?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a06165ca3&item=111771278499

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Mytur Binsdirti

With all that hideous red velour, that car is proof positive that that Dodge Shelbys are just the red-headed stepchild in the world of Shelbys.

TruckDriver

I LOVE cars with red interiors. I would love to own that one as well. Nice looking car.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

bmoparmofo

69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

71charger_fan

Nice car. I miss mine. But that's not a GLHS.

stripedelete

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 04, 2015, 04:47:27 AM
With all that hideous red velour, that car is proof positive that that Dodge Shelbys are just the red-headed stepchild in the world of Shelbys.

I can't argue that.  But, just like redheads, they were a pile of fun.

Baldwinvette77

i mercifully was never around for these, but werent the glh and glhs's little omni hatchbacks? this is a shelby charger, no?  :shruggy:

polywideblock

I don't have clue   :shruggy:   just going off add as to what it is . still a unique  documented  one off  :Twocents:

A383Wing

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on October 04, 2015, 07:07:53 PM
i mercifully was never around for these, but werent the glh and glhs's little omni hatchbacks? this is a shelby charger, no?  :shruggy:

correct...the GLH & GLHS's were off the little Omni platform...much smaller than this Charger version

Ghoste

The Charger was the same platform as the Omni.  It was an Omni with a hatchback.

JB400

And the Omni got the GLH.  Charger received the GLHS.

polywideblock

so is it or isn't it ?   ;)    poor thing must feel like  bruce jenner

A383Wing

my neighbor at our other house long ago had an Omni...it was smaller than the Charger pictures above...I still say they are completely different cars and platforms....but what do I know...

LaOtto70Charger

My step-dad had the Plymouth tourismo version.  While putting Charger on them was weird they were fun little 5 speeds. His got over 35 mpg on the highway also. I would like to have one of those for a daily driver.

stripedelete

Same platform.   There were 4dr Omnis and 2dr Omnis.   After the 2drs were introduced, some 2dr"s got a different paint job and were called Chargers.   Some 2drs were gussied-up and called Shelby Chargers.

If I remember correctly, later, all 2dr's were called Chargers.  Don't remember what Plymouth did since they didn't have the Charger name plate to leverage.

Trivia for the youngsters;  Chrysler traded an assembly plant to Volkswagon for engines.  The first  couple years of the Omni/Horizons received those engines.

Aero426

Both the 4 door Omni and and 2 doors Chargers are L-bodies.    Both received the GLHS package.   The 4 door as an 1986 model.   The 2 door Charger in 1987.     Those GLHS are rare cars.   Fast for the time.

Ghoste

And before they called it a Charger, the "sporty" version of the Omni hatchback was the O24.  In Plymouth it was a TC3 and then when the Charger name came back the Plymouth was called a Turismo.  (they may have even trotted the Duster name out in that time for a bit too??)

mightywing7

Yep, I remember these well.... even before Shelby got involved and even before the intro of their other FWD sports coupes, the Daytona and Laser.  My high school was filled with Charger 2.2's in the early 80's. 

Check out this commercial with the special appearance of a 69 in the beginning.  Pretty cool!

http://youtu.be/kco-miUZ2vc
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on October 05, 2015, 09:06:13 AM
And before they called it a Charger, the "sporty" version of the Omni hatchback was the O24.  In Plymouth it was a TC3 and then when the Charger name came back the Plymouth was called a Turismo.  (they may have even trotted the Duster name out in that time for a bit too??)

024!  Thank you.  Can't believe I couldn't remember it.  I had a black over silver 4 speed.  Loved it!   It was like driving in a go cart race all the time.

You are correct.  Ply Mouth did use the Duster nameplate in some of them.

TruckDriver

I used to own a '79, 024. Was a 4cyl, 4spd, and actually had a sunroof. Also a 1983 2.2 Charger, 2.2 5spd
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

mightywing7

Nice photos TruckDriver!!   :2thumbs:

I remember those red with black stripe Charger 2.2's well. They use to be all over the place in the 80's. You never see them around anymore.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

VegasCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on October 05, 2015, 09:06:13 AM

Yep. This is in a local Las Vegas pick-a-part that caught me by surprise.

JB400

I can tell you now, being someone over 6 ft. and stuck riding in the back seat of an 87 Duster for a 3 hr. trip is not a pleasant experience

Ghoste

Are there many cars comfortable in the back though for that long at your height?  I'm just a shadow under 6 and I can't think of many.