News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door rattle. Mirror loose, tighten mirror, door still rattles......

Started by Kern Dog, October 03, 2015, 09:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

These old cars can be fun, huh?
1970 Charger with the common LH remote mirror. It is a repop. Lately the door rattles as I close the door. I noticed the mirror glass seemed loose and the mirror body felt loose on the pedestal. Today I pulled the mirror and put locktite on the screws. Its all back together but there is still a rattle when closing the door. The mirror feels solid, the glass stays in place so I'm guessing this rattle is something else. The window glass seems tight, it rolls up and down fine. the door latch and lock still work fine. The vent/wing window frame seemed to flex when pushed, a little more than I thought it should. I checked the passenger side but they flex about the same. The RH door does not rattle.
I'll pull the door panel off again to check but is there anything you might suggest to inspect? The window tracks seemed okay.

green69rt

Just one thought, at the bottom of the door inside there is a bolt that sticks up from the bottom of the door that holds the wing window channel in place.  It doesn't bolt the bottom end in place, the channel just sets down over it and it acts as a guide.  The should be a piece of woven cloth around the bolt that keeps the channel from rattling against it.  Sometimes it falls out or just disintegrates.  Might look to see if it is still there.  If the door panel is off then just reach in and jiggle the channel around and see if it rattles.  Otherwise there are several other places that Mopar used anti rattle on the door lock mechanism.  Good luck, these things can be a bear to track down.

Dino

Does ir ratlle with window up and down?  If it rattles when it's up then it's probably not the window.  Door lock mechanism is a definite candidate as are the vent window frame bolts.

You'll have to check every nut and bolt one at a time and open and shut that door until you never want to do so again.   ;)

Also check stuff around the door.  I had a rattle once that I thought was the door but turned out to be a loose window crank in the rear that would vibrate when I slammed the door shut.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

I was so confident that the mirror was to blame, I buttoned everything back up before closing the door and hearing that the rattle was still there.
I have done this sort of dumb thing before: I've done wiring jobs that should have worked and wrapped up the harness, only to have a problem somewhere and have to unwrap it to diagnose and fix stuff. Overconfidence can bite a man in the ass.

Dino

I think we've all done that.   :yesnod:

Forgot to mention this but check the door handle button as well.  Sometimes they become loose and cause rattles.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

I agree with green69rt, its usually that lower mount coming up from the bottom of the door. It could even be that arm bouncing around in there. (If your lucky) Also check the allen bolt that sets the window assembly. Under the upper door pad, accessed through the 1" hole.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE