News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Powder Coated Unsilenced Air Cleaner

Started by B5 Charger, September 29, 2015, 08:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

After a couple unsuccessful attempts at powder coating my unsilenced air cleaner lid myself I decided to take it to the local shop.  I couldn't get the black wrinkle to come out right.  They did a great job so I thought I'd share a couple pictures.  If anybody is looking for a good powder coater in NW Missouri I recommend Midwest Metal Finishing.  I did the base in the pictures myself.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Metal-Finishing-Custom-Powder-Coating/181040105277997?sk=wall

HeavyFuel

Very nice.   :2thumbs:

I didn't know that powder coating could be done to get a wrinkle finish.

bull

:cheers:

I have to ask, how do you remove powder coating? Media blasting?

PlainfieldCharger

:o That is one nice looking powder coat job! :drool5:

Dino

Holy cow that's nice!

Quote from: bull on October 01, 2015, 11:55:04 PM

That would do it and I suppose chemical stripping would work but I'm not sure on that.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

crj1968

Quote from: HeavyFuel link=topic=120191.msg1491647#msg1491647 date=1443582781

I didn't know that powder coating could be done to get a wrinkle finish.
/quote]

Me either. Looks great!   :scratchchin:

B5 Charger

The pro's have a chemical they can dip the parts in to take it off or they can super heat the parts to burn it off.  Media blasting would take a long time.  I've tried glass beading it and it won't touch it.  I personally stripped powder coat off this air cleaner lid twice using aircraft stripper from the auto parts store.  It's a slow and labor intensive process but it will work.  Mar-Hyde used to make a stripper called Tal-Strip that worked real fast but Mar-Hyde sold out to another company and you can't get it anymore.  Came in a spray can and O'Reilly sold it right on the shelf. 

Dino

Quote from: B5 Charger on October 03, 2015, 09:13:17 PM

The pro's have a chemical they can dip the parts in to take it off or they can super heat the parts to burn it off.  Media blasting would take a long time.  I've tried glass beading it and it won't touch it.  I personally stripped powder coat off this air cleaner lid twice using aircraft stripper from the auto parts store.  It's a slow and labor intensive process but it will work.  Mar-Hyde used to make a stripper called Tal-Strip that worked real fast but Mar-Hyde sold out to another company and you can't get it anymore.  Came in a spray can and O'Reilly sold it right on the shelf. 

Yeah the old Tal-Strip was the best.   :yesnod:

I've blasted powder coating in the old days of using coarse sand and it worked fine.  A while back I tried a small piece with aluminum oxide and no go, it barely took the shine off.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

B5 Charger

Tal-Strip wrinkled that powder coat up in just a few minutes and it would just peel off.  Miss that stuff... :'(

B5 Charger

Picked up some more powder coated parts from Midwest metal.  My spare tire rim, front valance bracket, front and rear bumper brackets all in semi-gloss black.  The pictures don't do them justice.

six-tee-nine

Almost a shame to hide those bumper brackets under the fenders. Bet those will last quite some time.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

B5 Charger

One last picture of the air cleaner all decked out in her Sunday best.  Then off to the land of Styrofoam peanuts in the parts room...