News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing chain

Started by GN, October 07, 2015, 08:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

Whart are the signs of a timing chain going bad on a 318?

flyinlow

Not really any good signs. They don't make noise.   If it jumps just one tooth it will probably still run , more than that it's dead in the water.

Mopar's where not as bad as GM. I have only had one go bad on a '72 440. 

birdsandbees

Plastic pieces in the oil pan from the gear teeth is generally the first sign...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

myk

Wouldn't timing be way off, too?

68charger440

When I had that happen to me, I found the plastic pieces in the pan also. :iagree:
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

GN

Would the motor still run if it jumped? I had to hold the throttle open a little way to keep it from stalling. I will be looking for vacuum leaks too.

flyinlow

Maybe.... If it was one tooth the cam and ignition timing would be retarded about 20-30 *. 

The cam gear is coated with plastic (nylon?) . If enough breaks off the chain can jump. Like others have said, drain the oil look for pieces of plastic.

Does the engine crank normally?   If it is out of time it will not have proper compression and crank faster than normal ,possibly erratically.

heyoldguy

Put a wrench on the crankshaft bolt and rotate the crank slightly back and forth. If the timing chain is really bad there will be a bunch of slop before the chain catches the cam gear.

c00nhunterjoe

Or put a timing light on it. If the mark is jumping around, the chain is probably loose.