News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Epoxy primer?

Started by Pat1973charger, September 08, 2015, 09:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 27, 2015, 09:17:07 AM
Its good to see a lot of people using the SPI products ! They are great.  Dino is this what your going to use on your engine bay?

I am from Ontario Canada and know that Napa carries / orders SPI products. There are also a couple other suppliers in the area that offer it as well, I don't see why you should have a problem sourcing it out on the east coast. !  Retail cost is about $130 for kit I believe ( Primer and Hardener ( 1:1 Ratio ) ).

I don't know much about your project. Has body work been finished? or are you planing on epoxy and then finish body work down the road?  The best way to use epoxy is to finish your body work, apply 2 coats of epoxy, wait 12-24 hours then apply your high build primer. No need to sand/ scuff the epoxy it has a 72 hour recoat window.  Then you can let the car sit as long as you want.  If you only apply the epoxy and let sit for longer than 72 hours it must be scuffed again before anything else is applied.  I really do not suggest this method, as its a lot more work and caution that if epoxy is not scuffed properly you can run into adhesion problems !!

Yes I used SPI.   :yesnod:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120098.0.html

SPI gives you a 7 day recoat window without sanding but I never recoat without sanding.  I shot more primer yesterday and will be topcoating tomorrow so today I'm sanding! 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pat1973charger

I plan on using it mostly under the roof skin on the inner structure as well as the side of the firewall and quarter window supports and so on.