News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

repop 1968-70 bumper jacks

Started by ht4spd307, December 08, 2015, 12:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ht4spd307

hi just wondering how much demand there is for a vendor to repop the 1968 to 1970 bumper jacks i know they are doing camaro jacks why not for our chargers maybe if we make enough noise we might get them.please voice your opinion   :iagree: :badidea: :yesnod:

Ghoste

I don't need one but they are a unique part for the 2nd gen and it seems a lot of cars are missing them.

billssuperbird

I was told by a Mopar expert. They did not work very well to lift the car.   :shruggy:

ODZKing

Quote from: billssuperbird on December 08, 2015, 09:54:34 AM
I was told by a Mopar expert. They did not work very well to lift the car.   :shruggy:
Well Bill, I would never use the factory jack on my car(s) rechromed bumpers anyway. It is only in the trunk for cosmetic purposes of factory look.
I went to a yard and purchased a scissor jack if I ever REALLY needed to jack the car for something. I just keep it in a box in the runk with all my other emergency parts like an ECU, VR, coil, etc. ... you know, all that stuff!  :icon_smile_wink:

el dub

Quote from: billssuperbird on December 08, 2015, 09:54:34 AM
They worked if you were on a hard flat surface. You wouldn't want to crawl under the car though.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Bronzedodge

X2 what el dub said.  They're for changing a tire - in an emergency, on the side of the road with no other means to change it.   :brickwall:

The repo jack would appeal to the restoration crowd.  From a marketing point of view, there's way less demand for a 2nd gen Charger jack vs a Camaro jack, just based on sheer sales numbers.  I would think the price point would be high, esp considering the quality control that would have to go into the entire unit for liability purposes.   :scratchchin:

I love restored cars.  I say reproduce it.   :iagree:
Mopar forever!

Ghoste

Can you do it for less than originals cost?

kab69440

The hook type out of a C body works just fine and dandy. That said, if someone reproduced the Charger- specific lifting implement, I'd buy one. There's no real need to repop the whole assembly. In fact, if someone would just make an accurate bumper hook that welds on to a $20 C body jack, I'd be fine with just that.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

ht4spd307

as most have said so far they are only a cosmetic item no one really would use them on a newly chromed bumper but is a part of the car that ads to the nostalgia of the car as a whole. that's why most people would want one 

TPR

Quote from: ht4spd307 on December 09, 2015, 06:43:14 AM
as most have said so far they are only a cosmetic item no one really would use them on a newly chromed bumper but is a part of the car that ads to the nostalgia of the car as a whole. that's why most people would want one 

I am one of those people.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Mike DC

The only market is the stock resto crowd.  And at least half of that crowd will hold a grudge against a repro just on principle.  

myk

Why, oh why did I throw mine out... :slap:

ht4spd307

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 10, 2015, 05:51:59 AM

The only market is the stock resto crowd.  And at least half of that crowd will hold a grudge against a repro just on principle. 

to that crowd  with out repro we wouldn't have a sport.

Ghoste

Given that stock resto is still what brings the big money on these old cars I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them.

JB400

I'd suggest a sticker that says "Not for actual use"  You might be in for a lawsuit if you don't.  Someone could blame you for a defective unit, "whether it is or not", if it happens to kick out.

Ghoste

ht4spd307

surely there is more people missing bumper jacks that wants one :yesnod:

Lennard

If the price would be realistic I'd buy one but since the original jacks are going for $300 and up, I can live without one.

Brock Lee

They are as useful as bias ply tires.

ht4spd307

Quote from: Brock Lee on December 12, 2015, 04:13:49 PM
They are as useful as bias ply tires.
we have established that but would you want one for show purpose .i'd almost be happy with a 3d printed one if i could .instead of paying $300+

Brock Lee

3D print one? So a plastic dummy jack there for appearance would be cool? If so, why not just go to an older junkyard and grab the cleanest one you can find and stick it in there? If it is just for appearance, the wrong jack made of metal will look more "right" to passers by at a show than a plastic one.

ht4spd307

unfortunately i cant or i would because i live on the other side of the world were dodge chargers  dont live in junk yards i wish i had that option thats what i meant by 3d print one

Brock Lee

Gotcha!

Just search eBay for "bumper jack". There are always lots on there. Wait until one you like the look of and is affordable pops up.