News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fire extinguisher ????

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 24, 2015, 08:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I was talking with a guy at a Mopar meet and he told me about a  " C " body he was driving home  from a meet and was having carburetor problems and stopped at a rest area fortunately not to far from a big truck that had a fire extinguisher on board. When he started it up it had a serious engine fire and the truck fire extinguisher did put it out. When he started rebuilding he said the chemicals in the extinguisher ate into anything that was aluminum to the point the valve covers and  transmission case and whatever else were destroyed by holes eaten into it.

Now my question,  Do all fire extinguishers have this chemical  or  are there others that don't ?  Its much better to have the aluminum destroyed than the car burn to the ground no question but  is there a better system ? :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 24, 2015, 08:32:11 PM
   Now my question,  Do all fire extinguishers have this chemical  or  are there others that don't ? 

No.  That's the standard ABC dry chemical extinguisher and yes they are corrosive. When discharged they get into everything just drywall dust.  :eek2:  You could use one suggested or even a CO2 based unit.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 68X426 on September 24, 2015, 09:18:33 PM

Halon is the type that you want for car fires.

http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm

Thats what I have in the trunk...its an older real Halon unit
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

polywideblock

halon has been banned over here since 1995   :yesnod:    I'm guessing that a co2 would be the next best thing  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on September 26, 2015, 05:34:33 PM
halon has been banned over here since 1995   :yesnod:    I'm guessing that a co2 would be the next best thing  :scratchchin:

Halon has been banned over/down their? :scratchchin:  I was led to believe it robs a fire of oxygen effectively.  It's used in many places to do it's job without causing useless damage.

Is the ban because one can perhaps put out a PERSON with it faster then using a co2 extinguisher?--I say cheers to that. It means it works better for what it is intended for.

We have other devices for putting out people. :D

Hey what happened to the right tool for the right job?

polywideblock

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on September 26, 2015, 07:19:52 PM
its an "ozone depleting substance"       ;)     read for yourself    https://www.environment.gov.au/protection/ozone/halon/halon-disposal

Duh :slap:- :lol:-I forgot all about the "ozone" thing. --So Halon is taking over for hydrofluoric's as being our current potential demise for the "ozone" that we all have grown to love and fear the loss of.  :scratchchin:

I always was amused that soon after an ozone layer was observed a hole was identified. And of course the hole had to be caused by us.--This is a very human thing--

If we could only get a handle on the greatest (by far) green house gas of all--water vapor -- We should collect our breath and condense it to water the plants. They would (as a thankful gesture) also consume our expelled c02 and give us a few gasps of oxygen and the world would be forever green. :cheers:

I just hope for additional global warming which is what we need to feed the huge number of humans and their/our basic needs. :Twocents:

Sorry--this was about fire extinguishers.---I got carried away. :slap:

68X426

Quote from: polywideblock on September 26, 2015, 07:19:52 PM
its an "ozone depleting substance"       ;)     read for yourself    https://www.environment.gov.au/protection/ozone/halon/halon-disposal

What's the status on Halotron?  In the US it's a quality substitute for Halon that's non-ozone depleting.  http://www.halotron.com/index.php

" Halotron I is a fire-extinguishing agent based on the raw material HCFC-123 (93%) mixed with tetrafluoromethane and argon as propellants. It was originally introduced in 1992 to replace the severely ozone depleting halon 1211, or bromochlorodifluoromethane (BCF). "

There's disadvantages to Halotron versus Halon (weight) but is it legal down under?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

I found also that Halotron 1 is specifically approved by the US EPA due to it's "healthy characteristics for the environment".

Amerex and Buckeye are huge manufacturers of those Halotron 1 and 2 types, readily available in many sizes.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

polywideblock

ChargerST

While Halon is an excellent fire extinguishing agent I would NOT use it. In Europe it is illegal to even possess Halon extinguishers (fines for using/discharging Halon are horrendous - up to 60k$).
The ozone depletion wouldn't be me immediate concern but the toxicity of Halon. A 3% to 5% concentration in the air can lead to serious nerve damage and problems with your heart function. Above 5% death is possible to due respiratory paralysis and/or heart problems. So be very careful when using one especially when indoors.

There are Halon replacement agents such as FE-36 or FM-200 which are less toxic.

ws23rt

Quote from: ChargerST on September 28, 2015, 09:50:50 AM
While Halon is an excellent fire extinguishing agent I would NOT use it. In Europe it is illegal to even possess Halon extinguishers (fines for using/discharging Halon are horrendous - up to 60k$).
The ozone depletion wouldn't be me immediate concern but the toxicity of Halon. A 3% to 5% concentration in the air can lead to serious nerve damage and problems with your heart function. Above 5% death is possible to due respiratory paralysis and/or heart problems. So be very careful when using one especially when indoors.

There are Halon replacement agents such as FE-36 or FM-200 which are less toxic.

:2thumbs:  Now that's a good reason to not use it as a personal extinguisher.

RECHRGD

Quote from: ws23rt on September 28, 2015, 11:39:45 AM
Quote from: ChargerST on September 28, 2015, 09:50:50 AM

In the early '80's I worked for a company that installed halon systems in computer and data storage rooms.  Upon a trigger from the fire alarm system halon vapor would be released into the rooms.  Depending on the size of the rooms, you could have several hundred gallons released.  Part of the testing included a full operational test and gas release by the system.  We would remain in the rooms, along with any customers that wanted to and breath the gas.  It had the opposite affect of helium on you're voice, but nobody died.  At least not yet......

:2thumbs:  Now that's a good reason to not use it as a personal extinguisher.
13.53 @ 105.32

Highbanked Hauler

What do they use in stock car on board fire systems?  That is halon isn't it ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

ChargerST

The toxicity depends on which type of Halon is used. The newer ones (like Halon 1211) are generally safer than older ones such as Halon 1400 (still not healthy to inhale too much of it).