News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V88 vs. tail stripe

Started by 66FBCharger, September 24, 2015, 07:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What was more popular when the '69s were new? V88 stripe delete or the tail stripe?
Ghoste, what percentages do you see from the cars in the registry?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Tmb84

Im considiring bring my 70 383 back to original, remove the stripe, 15" magnums and put on the original 14" rallys. evveryone got the stripe!
just my opinion
70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"

Ghoste

I can check when I get home but I can tell you that the majority had the stripe.

Chad L. Magee

The V88 stripe delete RTs were fairly rare back in the day.  Of the hundreds of RTs that I have looked at (car shows, drivers, junkyards, field cars, etc), only a handful have been V88s per the fender tag.  It is not too unusual for a striped car to lose its stripe during a paint job if the owner does not want to go through the trouble of putting one back on.  Conversely, I have seen V88s get their stripes by later owners who wanted them on there.

Because V88s are rare to find, I kept my eye out for them when I was buying cars.  In my pile of Charger projects, I have two that were V88s: one very rough & rusty 1969 RT in triple green and one fairly stripped down 1970 RT in triple black, both 4-speed cars.  What would be even rarer to find would be an RT/SE with that option.   
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Challenger340

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on September 24, 2015, 09:13:48 AM
The V88 stripe delete RTs were fairly rare back in the day.  Of the hundreds of RTs that I have looked at (car shows, drivers, junkyards, field cars, etc), only a handful have been V88s per the fender tag.  It is not too unusual for a striped car to lose its stripe during a paint job if the owner does not want to go through the trouble of putting one back on.  Conversely, I have seen V88s get their stripes by later owners who wanted them on there.

Because V88s are rare to find, I kept my eye out for them when I was buying cars.  In my pile of Charger projects, I have two that were V88s: one very rough & rusty 1969 RT in triple green and one fairly stripped down 1970 RT in triple black, both 4-speed cars.  What would be even rarer to find would be an RT/SE with that option.   

Sorry for the hijack...

So is a 1969 R/T SE with the V88 Stripe Delete fairly rare ?
If so,
any guesses how many ? 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

I need to look it up tonight like I said, but for some reason my memory (which admittedly sucks) is that I noted MORE RT SE cars with stripe delete than in the regular RT line.

DixieRestoParts

For what It's worth, my F3 R/T SE is stripe delete. It is a customer ordered car. He liked the color and also wanted a/c and a 4spd. Dealer told him to choose as he couldn't have both. So, he chose the 4spd. Man after my own heart.

My R6 R/T SE was also an ordered car. Originally, ordered in F8, owner went back and changed to R6. Good call. He wanted White top and White stripe. Good combo on that car. A34 car.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

tan top

V88   R/T SE   here  :yesnod:  ,  

my memory is telling me , think ive seen more V88 R/T SE cars   :scratchchin:  , think it was the R/T  ! that was more common with the stripe    :scratchchin:

type of buyer related etc  :shruggy:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Challenger340

I wonder how many X9 Black, R/T SE, with V88 there were/are ?

I've seen lots of X9 Black R/T's with Stripe.... or V88
But so far I haven't run across another Black, R/T with SE and V88 ?

I guess a guy will just never know ?

How's that '69 registry coming Ghoste ? my apologies, you are probably sick and tired of people asking.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Ghoste on September 24, 2015, 10:49:05 AM
I need to look it up tonight like I said, but for some reason my memory (which admittedly sucks) is that I noted MORE RT SE cars with stripe delete than in the regular RT line.

You are probably right on that, Ghoste.  I just have not come across too many RT/SEs that were V88s, compared to regular RTs.

My old 69 RT/SE shell (T3) was a striped car.
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Ghoste

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 24, 2015, 01:03:17 PM

How's that '69 registry coming Ghoste ? my apologies, you are probably sick and tired of people asking.

No, actually I'm glad that people ask.  I have had a couple of trial versions up but without announcing it just to get a feel for it.  In both cases, I took it down because I was not satisfied with it.  So I now largely have a new version ready, or at least I think I do.  There was an issue with the site host that prevented version 3 from going up but just as well because it was modified since then.  Couple that with being a single parent and someone who tends to spend a little more time at work than I should and it quickly becomes good to be needled about it once in a while.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 24, 2015, 01:03:17 PM
I wonder how many X9 Black, R/T SE, with V88 there were/are ?

I've seen lots of X9 Black R/T's with Stripe.... or V88
But so far I haven't run across another Black, R/T with SE and V88 ?

I guess a guy will just never know ?

I know of 2 members here that have them that way , myself and friend/member "RT/SE" has one as well . Both are triple black 69 R/T SE's , V88 . His is a 4 speed , PW , PDB car . Mine is picture of tag . His is the other (before resto).

68pplcharger

ws23rt

I have a question about the V88 code on the tag.  My C500 has the V88 code.  The car had a stripe when I bought it in the early eighties but could have been added since the car was built.

I met Galen years ago when he inspected my car and have a foggy memory that he told me most C500's had the V88 on the tag but came with the stripe anyway.  Does this sound right?

Of course the next question is.  How many (if any) C500's did not have the V88 code?---Perhaps a question for the areo section? :scratchchin:

Ghoste

The 500's began life as RT's so they were all coded for V88 so that Creative would not have an RT stripe to remove in order to put the 500 one on there.

Ghoste

Just doing a quickie on what I have in the registry right now it looks to be around 7% with V88.  I need to break it down some more to get closer and then spend some time sorting through the SE cars.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Ghoste on September 24, 2015, 08:24:09 PM
The 500's began life as RT's so they were all coded for V88 so that Creative would not have an RT stripe to remove in order to put the 500 one on there.

So they removed the R/T emblems and put the stripe right over the holes ? Or did bodywork over them ?

ws23rt

That makes practical sense.  :2thumbs:  I also did forget that the stripe on the 500's was unique to the 500's. :slap:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Not sure what's more popular, but I prefer V88

C500

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 24, 2015, 08:27:58 PM

So they removed the R/T emblems and put the stripe right over the holes ? Or did bodywork over them ?

Most didn't get the R/T badge (or the holes) , but have heard some have holes that are filled by creative.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

66FBCharger

I am surprised that only 7% had the V88 stripe delete option. I would have guessed it was more.
Did the V88 option automatically give you the R/T badges on the rear quarters? Could you get an R/T without the stripe and without the R/T badge to make a "sleeper"?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

V88 automatically got the badge but if you wanted niether you had to remove the badge yourself.

Challenger340

tcs69rt

My stripe delete, automatic RT.....needs a red tail stripe, IMO.  :2thumbs:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

69 OUR/TEA

I love stripes on all other colors , except black , no stripe all the way !!!!!! I'm glad mine is a V88 , if it wasn't , I'd probably have put it that way during resto .