News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much is PPG in B7 blue?

Started by pipeliner, September 11, 2015, 11:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipeliner

My body man said he wants to use PPG on my car. My heart about fainted because I know that stuff is sky high lol. I guess I'll break down and let him him use it next spring when he gets to it.

Pete in NH

Hi,

It's hard to get prices on PPG paint because their distribution agreements generally don't allow on line sales. So the only thing you can do is call your local PPG distributor.

Also, What paint system, single stage or base coat/ clearcoat. If base/ clear you also need to factor in the clear coat costs and good clears are expensive. There are also some mid range paint brand options that may serve you as well as top of the line PPG. You might want to check into Wanda and Pro Spray.

timmycharger

I know this is not a popular choice, but the body shop supply place suggested PPG/OMNI, very inexpensive, and he said that it had a bad reputation as not covering well and not matching well when you tried to paint a panel but said he used it personally and had no issues, and has been recommending it for a while. We used it to spray the jams/trunk and engine bay and we did about 4 coats of color, 3 coats of clear and the paint has been on for a couple of years and is holding up very well. We didnt see any problems with coverage.

I went with B7 Blue as well

pipeliner

Well I'm con fused now. I just called 2 ppg dealers. Ok PPG doesn't sell a top shelf b7 base coat and 1 dealer sold the omni brand and the other dealer sold the shop line brand. The shop line brand dealer said it replaced the omni but the other dealer still sells Omni. I heard they both were the same and was told Omni was better BUT I was told to use Deltron Clear which I know is really good so I was told.

pipeliner

Well I'm confused now. I just called 2 ppg dealers. Ok PPG doesn't sell a top shelf b7 base coat and 1 dealer sold the omni brand and the other dealer sold the shop line brand. The shop line brand dealer said it replaced the omni but the other dealer still sells Omni. I heard they both were the same and was told Omni was better BUT I was told to use Deltron Clear which I know is really good so I was told.

Troy

I agree that Omni probably isn't a great choice. I used some of what I thought was a fairly common color (yellow) and it didn't come close to matching. After I showed the car to the paint store they said "it would have matched better if you had gone with the more expensive paint". Unfortunately, I never told them how much I wanted to spend - just that it had to match! From what I was told, there are fewer tints available for the cheaper line which limits the number of possible combinations. Having said that... Omni is also known for poor coverage so by the time I used enough yellow to cover everything I could have just bought better paint and put on fewer coats.

In your case, if you're painting everything you really don't have to worry about a match - unless you park next to a factory painted car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

pipeliner

I want the closest paint to match the original B7. Since PPG has the original formula for B7 wouldn't you think it would be close and like I said PPG doesn't offer a top shelf B7 in the Deltron

Pete in NH

My understanding is that Omni and Shopline are basically the same paint. If you sell PPG exclusively you get the Omni line and if you sell other paint lines as well as PPG they call you a "platinum" distributor and you get Shopline.

Omni may not have the best color match to factory colors but for an overall refinish job that may not matter, although if you need to repair paint in the future that may become an issue. As mentioned coverage will not be as good as a top line paint so you will use more. If you are going with a base/clear system the clear on top will be the most important thing. I think I would then go with a premium clear not the Omni clear. Check into Southern Polyurethane (SPI) clears great quality at a less than top PPG cost. If you're looking at PPG Omni base coat I would definitely check out Wanda. A bit more money like midway between PPG Deltron and Omni, but a better paint. My understanding is it's based on an older Sikkens line.

timmycharger

The Omni sprayed pretty nice, I didn't notice it not covering that well, but I was doing smaller areas than an entire car. The paint was very inexpensive, I seem to remember the gallon container being under $100 or so. I went with the Omni clear as well. I had the shop mix me up another quart a year later (pictured) and the color matched almost exactly.

58pwrwgn

Last fall I ask on the price of a gallon  of b7 ppg. My dealer said  ppg didn't  have a b7 formula, but omni did. They said they could   contact ppg to see if a formula  was available.

pipeliner

Omni and shop line is PPG just a cheap line of PPG and Deltron is top of the line PPG I guess that doesn't offer B7.

moparnut

Just a few ideas after having a few cars painted.  After performing all your body work and using different primers over diffrent times.  Use a sealer tinted close to your final color . The finished product will be so much closer to desired color :drool5:.Spraying your base coat over  brown or gray primers has a dulling effect to the base color.Give it a try,you will not be dissapointed.moparnut

pipeliner

jaak

I have used OMNI, it is super thin.... takes more material to get coverage.

Jason