News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thoughts about oiling...

Started by myk, October 06, 2015, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

I've been reading this thread and see the same thing being said over a few times.
It looks like the understanding about how the pump works is understood but a question is still there. :scratchchin:

My understanding is we have a positive displacement pump. --It will pump x amount of oil per revolution.

A HV pump --can/will pump more than a stock pump-- That extra availability of oil is not used (in normal and our cases) and is bypassed to the pan.

The extra effort the hv pump uses is lost as it's generally not needed.

The addition of the HV pump will reap no benefit beyond what is in the mind of the buyer. But it will cost a bit in extra heat in the oil for the peace of mind.

For loose bearing clearance racing engines and the like I can see the value of the HV pump. :Twocents:

ws23rt

I will admit to adding a HV pump to a couple of my cars back in the seventies. I did it because of the identifier. ----Oiling is good-- High volume oiling must be better. :shruggy:

Let's just reflect a bit and think of all things we wanted to do to our cars to make them better, stronger, faster, etc. We did things in many cases for wrong and miss guided  reasons. :lol:

A383Wing

Quote from: ws23rt on October 10, 2015, 07:44:40 PM

For loose bearing clearance racing engines and the like I can see the value of the HV pump. :Twocents:

only if the internal oiling passages inside the engine are opened up to take advantage of it

68charger440

I think everyone is getting a bit too caught up in the semantics of the conversation. Is it "to-may-to or to-mah-to."?
This horse is dead, and isn't going to run any faster if we keep beating it.  It was a good learning experience for me :2thumbs:, but it might be time to let it rest in peace.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

1974dodgecharger

so external oil routing it is  :icon_smile_big: 

Milodon has a kits...

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 11, 2015, 06:48:29 AM
so external oil routing it is  :icon_smile_big: 

Milodon has a kits...

Now that's over-kill if I ever saw it.  I'll let you guys know when I start turning 7K RPM's or more lol...

BSB67

Quote from: A383Wing on October 10, 2015, 08:36:32 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on October 10, 2015, 07:44:40 PM

only if the internal oiling passages inside the engine are opened up to take advantage of it

The bearing and lifter clearances are the restrictions that matter, not the "passages".  I suppose that at some point in extreme bearing and lifter clearances the passages could become a meaningful restriction.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

I would rather have the hv pump capacity on hand and never need it than to need and have the pump unable to deliver the goods. 

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on October 11, 2015, 09:37:36 AM
I would rather have the hv pump capacity on hand and never need it than to need and have the pump unable to deliver the goods. 

That is what a gauge is for. Then you'll learn that the std is adequate.

You could install a Milodon dual line external line system with a swing pick up in case the HV does not deliver the goods too.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Thanks, but I'm using one anyway. :2thumbs: