News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cleaning bugs from the plastic grille

Started by Ghoste, September 11, 2015, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Is there an easy way?  (and easy is relative here because my current method takes forever)

ws23rt

What works for me is windex multi surface cleaner.  Let it set for a while to let the dry bugs turn back into liquid bugs then rinse with a low pressure-- pressure washer.
I've used a piece of cardboard behind the grill to help direct the rinse down and out.

Ghoste

That's an option I hadn't thought of but then I don't usually direct a lot of water at the car either.  I've been using Windex and a soft brush.

ws23rt

I know how you feel about directing water at the car. It can get into those places we can't see and pool till it dries.  It's the side rear windows and back glass that I avoid drowning.
I usually follow rinsing with compressed air to help with the drying on my front end cause it can't be wiped where needed.

Ghoste

Not to mention water spotting on the black from those random drops.

Silver R/T

I would wash it with rain X car wash and then bugs would come off much easier next time.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ws23rt

Quote from: Ghoste on September 12, 2015, 06:42:50 AM
Not to mention water spotting on the black from those random drops.

I see room for a practical solution to water spotting. It's what is left over from evaporation. It's the stuff in the water that is not water. :shruggy:

Alaskan_TA

Wear them with pride! Dead bugs are a great way to measure your place on the Smiles Per Gallon meter used to rate your road trip.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 12, 2015, 08:37:06 PM
Wear them with pride! Dead bugs are a great way to measure your place on the Smiles Per Gallon meter used to rate your road trip.

:iagree:

I don't have a dry solution, but I've always used 409. It's not so harsh that is harms the finish, yet aggressive enough to soften the bug guts.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Charger-Bodie

I've never done this,and it's not dry,but what about a household steam cleaner. These mess would at least be localized.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Bobs69

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 13, 2015, 12:37:56 PM
Dampen a bounce sheet, then wipe.

Was going to say this also.   I was shocked, but works well!  On all paint and plastic.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

HeavyFuel

Quote from: ws23rt on September 11, 2015, 10:04:57 PM
I know how you feel about directing water at the car. It can get into those places we can't see and pool till it dries.  It's the side rear windows and back glass that I avoid drowning.
I usually follow rinsing with compressed air to help with the drying on my front end cause it can't be wiped where needed.

Yes...this is what I do.  Lots of air, followed by hand drying.   And I only wash the front 2 feet of the car, and the back 1 foot.

bill440rt

I use a detailing brush combined with some detail spray.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/two+boars+hair+detail+brushes.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Foam paint brushes dipped in cleaner also work well.

Or course, if the front of your car looks like that Challenger Alaskan_TA posted well then there's no choice but to break out the wash & hose!  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce