News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SPI epoxy users, got a question

Started by Dino, September 11, 2015, 09:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I'm painting the engine bay and underside of the hood so here's the plan.  Let me know if this works.  I'm shooting the spots that need filler with epoxy, let them sit overnight, do the filler and sanding thing and shoot the entire engine bay and hood in a few coats of epoxy.  The next day I shoot the urethane single stage.  Question is, with a 1.4 tip on the hvlp do I need a reducer and/or do I need to sand the epoxy before shooting color?  If I need a reducer, does it have to be SPI's?  Their minimum is a quart and I won't need nearly that much.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tsmithae

I haven't gotten to that stage yet.  From what I was reading when used as a sealer it was best to reduce it.  I believe their stuff can be reduced with PPG and maybe others, I am not sure though.  Honestly I would give their guys a call, they have always been extremely helpful when I talked to them.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Pete in NH

Hi Dino,

X2 on calling SPI.

You'll be so well within the 7 day recoat time there shouldn't be any need to sand before painting. Reducing the epoxy when used as a sealer will help it flow out nicer, although SPI epoxy seems to go on smoothly even un- reduced. I would not play chemist with another brand of reducer. Reducer doesn't go bad on the shelf so if you don't use it all now it doesn't matter. It's the activator that eventually goes bad.

Whose single stage are you using?

Dino

Alright, I contacted one of the reps I spoke to before.  Good point on the reducer.   :yesnod:

I have an issue in that I do not know what color my car is...other than white...

It's 20+ year old acrylic lacquer and I don't have a code.  I went to a paint supply store with my front valance and he put a little machine on it but the computer showed a tan color.  The guy admitted that his boss knows how to use this a lot better so I'll go back Monday when he's in.  They have PPG and ShopLine.  I was gong to order from TCP Global but this will be easier even though the price is a bit higher.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Silver R/T

You can reduce it to help it flow. I've personally reduced it with SWilliams reducer, just dont use cheap crap from home improvement store.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71 SE3834V

When it comes time to paint I got this leftover Shopline reducer & hardner you can borrow. I won't need it back for a long time.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V