News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More broken stuff - spindle

Started by Dino, August 28, 2015, 03:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have Wilwood front discs to go on the stock drum spindles so while cleaning said spindles I saw that the driver side had been welded at the top, just below the upper ball joint hole.  The weld was on both sides of the spindles and after comparing it to the other side it was clear the the machined part that holds the ubj is seriously bent.  The welds look great but they didn't bother to make sure it was straight.  So there we go, more stuff to buy.   ::)

The only reason I was going to install the old Wilwood kit is because it came with the car and probably beats drums.  Now I'm thinking I should get the C body stuff which will have rotors 1" larger than these.

I need the C body spindles for that right?  And the caliper brackets?  I know rotors and calipers can be ordered online and I have braided brake hoses from the other kit.  I also have the ombo valve, mc and booster.  Anything else I need?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

I really don't think any C body stuff fits any other model. I thought the ball joint sizes and taper were larger.

Dino

I think you're right.  I know the rotors can be used.  I'll have to do some homework, it's been way too long reading about this stuff.

If none of this stuff fits I'll just look for another b body drum spindle and go with the orignal plan.  Brakes can always be changed later on.

flyinlow

If you are talking a bout the Disk-o-tech conversion, I think it uses 73 and up A body disk brake spindles and 11.75 Cordoba rotors and caliper brackets.  do a search.

Did this on the '70 and the '73 using Hawk HPS pads and slotted rotors, Works well.

Scarebird kit might be a good option, !2 inch Ford rotors and 3 inch Ram PU calipers. Either Mopar caliper should clamp harder than a basic 4 piston Wilwood.  You would however need good stock drum spindles.

Back N Black

I used the spindles of a 76 A Body, they are cheap and not hard to find. I have all the part numbers for the calipers, rotors, pads and flex lines if you require.  :2thumbs:

Dino

Ah yes it was the A body stuff, duh.   :lol:

I would love those part numbers f you have them handy.   :cheers:

I'll look into the scarebird kit as well.  It's good to have options.   :yesnod:

Kern Dog

If you live near any wrecking yard, the 76-89 rear wheel drive NON c body cars all used the same knuckle/spindle. There are thousands of Diplomats, Gran Fury, Aspen/Volare, Imperial, Magnum, Lebaron, etc out there still. These are different from the A body versions so they should be swapped in matched pairs. I'm impressed to learn that yours was welded and that it hasn't failed. That part is drop forged steel. Heat probably compromised the elasticity of the steel making is more likely to bend but not break. It isn't ideal, but it may outlive us all OR fail at the most inopportune time. I'd change it out too!

Dino

You're not kidding, I had to sit for a minute after seeing the welds.  This car has always been good to me and despite an entire drivetrain transplant and a repaint was unmolested.  Now I found out that someone's been messing with the brakes and suspension.  All the brake line fittings were rounded, rubber brake hoses were cracked, suspension bushings are shot, some are totally gone, the ist goes on.  I hate to spend money I don't have, but I'm glad I caught it now before it caught me!

I'll just have to go slow and save up.  The car may not be backon the road for a very long time but when it is, it'll be safe and really roadworthy.

I can't get into the moparaction site for some reason.  I'm looking for A body disc spindles right?  Do these use the pin type calipers?  All mopars so FMJ as well?  I'll see if I can find some a the junk yard.

Kern Dog

The F cars are Aspen/Volare. The M are the Diplomat/Gran Fury/5th Ave. The J and R body cars are the later Imperial and such.
I prefer the slider caliper types, but the knuckle/spindle allows the use of either type caliper, since the caliper mounts not to the spindle, but a bracket bolted to the spindle.

stripedelete

77 Volare here. Cheap and work fine. 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 29, 2015, 12:03:45 AM
The F cars are Aspen/Volare. The M are the Diplomat/Gran Fury/5th Ave. The J and R body cars are the later Imperial and such.
I prefer the slider caliper types, but the knuckle/spindle allows the use of either type caliper, since the caliper mounts not to the spindle, but a bracket bolted to the spindle.

I have a 5th avenue front brake setup works fine....I agree

Mike DC

:Twocents:

A welded spindle?  In a load-bearing area?  

GET RID OF IT.

It's not a guaranteed failure but the risk/cost ratio is too stupid.  

I'm surprised it was done at all.  Spindles are not all that valuable.  

Dino

These used spindels are a lot more expensive than I thought so it's good to know there's lots of choices!  I think the 11.75" Cordoba rotors are the way to go.  I'll be sure to get the slider calipers.  Finding the brackets for a reasonable price may be somewhat challenging but I have time.  I have to face the music, this ar is not going to be done for a long time to come.  I can't rush this, it needs to be done right.

Mike I literally had to sit down for a minute when I saw the welds AND how off the angle of the balljoint was.  Crazy stuff.  This spindle is going in the trash.

Mike DC

The balljoint angle was way off too?  What a mess. 

Got any pics of this masterpiece?

Dino

Yes when you set the spindles on a straight surface with the axles level and the back sides of the spindles facing each other, the top part where the ball joint goes through is almost 1/4 lower than the other side because the top is bent downward.  I used to think cast iron couldn't bend, but that's not true.  I'll get some pics up in the morning.

Dino

The welded spindle is on the right.  I thought maybe it's a spindle from another car which would have a different ball joint angle, although both look identical.  Except for the cast number.  The left spindle has no number, the number on the right spindle is 1857870.

Kern Dog

The knuckle/spindle is not cast iron, it is drop forged steel. YES it can bend!
The knuckles on my 70 Charger are from a 75 Dart that I use to own. For a home movie, I JUMPED that Dart 4 separate times. Once I got the car 5 feet in the air. Even with all of that abuse, the knuckles are straight enough to allow my car to be aligned perfectly. They are plenty durable. Welding surely puts some doubt into their integrity though.

flyinlow

Is that weld or hammer scars?

I think the spindles are forged also.  You know the good stuff, MN. ore , cooked with VW. coal and forged by some MI. boys so  the  General can jump over rivers and stuff.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: flyinlow on August 30, 2015, 07:41:50 PM

When I saw this in person today it looked like a weld to close up a crack that opened up when the upper part got bent but the pic sure looks like hammer marks.
The uca's also had offset bushings on both sides so somebody was trying to cure a problem at onetime.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Forged...that makes a whole lot more sense then.  I think it's welded but I can't be sure.  It sure looks welded though.  In any case, they are not a match! 

Not only did the car have the offset bushings, they and much of the other bushings were ripped and torn.  On of the offset uca bushings was also crooked in there, the others were half gone.  Everything was out of whack.  When comparing the tie rod ends and sleeve units, one side is set about 1/4" longer than the other.

I now need to decide if I want to get b body spindles or go ahead and get other model spindles and the Cordoba rotors.  I'm leaning towards the latter.

six-tee-nine

As a side note...... who the f*ck welds parts like that together? You dont even do that to a car you flip. Messing with your own or other peoples lives is just messed up.

You could give Dr. Diff a call and get a good disk setup on A body spindles. Afterall you have larger wheels so why not but something larger in them.

Its only money  :cheers:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dino

I know right?  Why the heck would you mess with a spindle like that?  It's been on the car at least 20 years so you would've been able to find tons of them cheap.  But people are morons...so there's that.

I think I'm going with the 11.75" Cordoba rotors up front and 11" rotors in the rear.  I don't need fancy drilled rotors on a car driven this much and this system should be absolutely fine for my needs.  I wish I had that money though.   ;)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: flyinlow on August 30, 2015, 07:41:50 PM

I think the spindles are forged also.  You know the good stuff, MN. ore , cooked with VW. coal and forged by some MI. boys so  the  General can jump over rivers and stuff.

That was my thought also,it looks like hammer marks and it also has vice tracks on it.  I am guessing it might have been a fight to get the upper ball joint out of it..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser