News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power brake booster failure ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 04, 2015, 09:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I am doing the disc brake upgrade on my sled and can only get some pressure at the calipers.  I have bled this thing to death with clear fluid coming out and have even changed the master cylinder. This thing is off of a 68 and I am guessing it was original to that car.  When a booster fails what are the signs ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

LaOtto70Charger

Mine last year had very little brake force even with two feet on the pedal.  Including when checking at the caliper with a pressure gauge.  I switched it to manual until I got a new dual diaphragm booster to put in since I was still running the drum booster.  Which I still need to do this year.

303 Mopar

Make sure you have the right booster.  An original power brake booster for drums will NOT work. 

Original drum booster on the left, correct disc-drum booster on the right.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 04, 2015, 05:03:06 PM
Make sure you have the right booster.  An original power brake booster for drums will NOT work. 

Original drum booster on the left, correct disc-drum booster on the right.

Thanks, mine is the one on the left for drum brakes.  I took the booster out and put a disc/drum master cyl. from another car,put the original push rod in and got some pressure but not a lot and bled everything again. I have a new aluminum master cyl. bench bled which didn't work with the old booster and I haven't tried it  as manual yet.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

303 Mopar

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 04, 2015, 06:31:05 PM
   Thanks, mine is the one on the left for drum brakes.  I took the booster out and put a disc/drum master cyl. from another car,put the original push rod in and got some pressure but not a lot and bled everything again. I have a new aluminum master cyl. bench bled which didn't work with the old booster and I haven't tried it  as manual yet.

You will need the new booster.  Also, you will need to enlarge the hole in the firewall about an 3/4".

http://www.doctordiff.com/bendix-style-dual-diaphragm-booster.html

Highbanked Hauler

The aluminum master cylinder  that I have is a Dr Diff  unit which is headed for a manual disc Challenger. Other than an adjustable push rod the same master should work in a Charger without a booster shouldn't it ?
     Do you know the reason a drum brake master won't work with a disc brake system ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

303 Mopar

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 04, 2015, 08:45:35 PM
The aluminum master cylinder  that I have is a Dr Diff  unit which is headed for a manual disc Challenger. Other than an adjustable push rod the same master should work in a Charger without a booster shouldn't it ?
     Do you know the reason a drum brake master won't work with a disc brake system ?

I have not switched from power to manual so I would call Cass at Dr Diff and he can help you. 

The disc-drum master has a larger res in the rear (which is actually for the front discs).  The discs require more pressure and fluid than drums.

Highbanked Hauler

I am going to see if I can get by with manual discs like the Challenger has. It can be put in later if needed.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

I know the leverage on the pedal is different from power to manual. As long as you swap pedals and all, the swap should be fine.

Bronzedodge

I'll second what 303 said about the boosters.  My car was original power drum, swapped to A-body disc.  Did not "feel" right w/ the drum booster.  Swapped in a original disc booster.  Much improved.  As far as pedal linkage, power linkage is same drum to disc, same for manual I believe.  I spoke to "The Ramm Man" at Carlisle, he said the same thing.

Later, the booster failed - symptom was a hard pedal and sound of vacuum leak when on the pedal.  Booster Dewey in Oregon fixed it.
Mopar forever!