News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pet Peeves of Looking at the Engine Compartments at Car Shows

Started by A383Wing, September 04, 2015, 01:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 04, 2015, 06:21:11 PM
Lovely, but does it run?  Where's the wiring?

Good question.  I thought plug wires are supposed to be kept apart from one another? 

A383Wing

that was true with the old OE style wires from the 60's & 70's.....today's wires are much better quality and insulated better arcing to the outside of the wire to ground or another wire

JB400

My biggest pet peeve, Chevrolet small blocks in everything. 

myk

Quote from: A383Wing on September 04, 2015, 11:58:09 PM
that was true with the old OE style wires from the 60's & 70's.....today's wires are much better quality and insulated better arcing to the outside of the wire to ground or another wire

So I don't need to have this acres wide wiring arrangement that looks like a modern freeway system?  Good to know....

Chargen69

Quote from: myk on September 04, 2015, 11:43:28 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on September 04, 2015, 06:21:11 PM
Lovely, but does it run?  Where's the wiring?

Good question.  I thought plug wires are supposed to be kept apart from one another? 

I bought the best wires I could, not the cheapest,

and I'd say it runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsfqSf8zAjo

67440chrg

Chargen69 your engine compartment looks great to me. I have had more chrome in the past but now have only a little. My car is a budget build but at a lot of shows or cruises most people act like Because they have lots to spend then everyone should. I even took a pair of blue anodized Mopar stamped valve covers and a old torker II intake and painted them HEMI orange and have had several ask where I got them. If some one keeps it clean and uncluttered it means a lot to me.

67440chrg

Chargen69 your engine compartment looks great to me. I have had more chrome in the past but now have only a little. My car is a budget build but at a lot of shows or cruises most people act like Because they have lots to spend then everyone should. I even took a pair of blue anodized Mopar stamped valve covers and a old torker II intake and painted them HEMI orange and have had several ask where I got them. If some one keeps it clean and uncluttered it means a lot to me.

Chargen69

i agree about the chrome.  it is easy to bolt on a bunch of chrome, but we have a lot more thought put into mine i think

Mopar Nut

The only engine compartments I don't like are GM and Fords, if it's a Mopar and safe to drive, it top notch.  
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1974dodgecharger

I park my car across the street from a car show and people still walk over to freakin judge it  :brickwall: WTF.  Im even handed a score card on my window about how horrible my engine bay is  :shruggy:

wingcar

Number one.....ribbed universal style radiator hoses
Number two.....Too Much Chrome...(Knew a guy that had a really nice 440-6bbl RoadRunner and he detailed the daylights out of the engine compartment.....however, all the details were lost in a see of chrome.  Your eyes couldn't focus on anything...what a waste of time and money)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

HPP

I don't see any chrome in that engine bay. There is a  lot of aluminum though.

myk

Quote from: wingcar on September 08, 2015, 07:56:26 AM
Number two.....Too Much Chrome...(Knew a guy that had a really nice 440-6bbl RoadRunner and he detailed the daylights out of the engine compartment.....however, all the details were lost in a see of chrome.  Your eyes couldn't focus on anything...what a waste of time and money)

I remember reading a story in a mag about a Daytona that had an obscene amount of chrome on it; engine bay and suspension too.  What a waste of a good car. 

In any case, I hate seeing dolls and toys hanging out of engine bays and cars in general.  I mean, WTF?  What does all of that mean? 

el dub

I don't get the dolls and such either mike, maybe its the ol lady
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

GOTWING

I never understood why anyone would paint the engine compartment black whether it was back in the day or recent. the one aircleaner I hate is the Mopar performance one that is black with the fins on it. Also when a Plymouth has a 440 magnum etc pie pan and a dodge will have a super commando pan etc.  :RantExplode: 

Kern Dog

"In any case, I hate seeing dolls and toys hanging out of engine bays and cars in general.  I mean, WTF?  What does all of that mean? "

:rofl:

Absolutely. Those stupid dolls have no purpose whatsoever. They are often placed against a car with their arms up and their faces hidden in their arms. Are they supposed to invoke shame? The dolls are embarrassed at the quality of the restoration or the money spent on it ?
The big Road Runner or Coyote dolls probably annoy some people but I actually like them. They remind me of what a Plymouth dealer may have had as a display in the showrooms from 68-74.

ws23rt

I've never been to a big car show that has many of what I know something about (mopars).
Been to a few roadster shows though where the gleam of chrome and mirrors tends to blur my vision after a few. I end up not looking at them all because of this.

What I do enjoy is local cruise-in kinda stuff.  Anyone that is moved to bring something they have, shows pride in their car on some level. And I seldom know what it right or wrong. I just like to ask questions and learn new stuff.

When a mopar is present at one of these small events I still tend to ask questions rather then try to explain what I think is correct or not. After all I am there to enjoy the show not judge the cars.

Their is always much to be appreciated in front of me and I don't want to spoil a fun day out (by being one of those guy's) for the car owner as well as bystanders.  

As for my cars at a cruise-in?  I don't stay by the car much as I'm looking at the other cars-- but will come up to eaves drop sometimes and help out. --- For example you can get head covers for a small block chevy to make it look like a Hemi. ---:slap: That will be a conversation starter for many. :icon_smile_wink:

dual fours

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 08, 2015, 04:50:22 AM
I park my car across the street from a car show and people still walk over to freakin judge it  :brickwall: WTF.  Im even handed a score card on my window about how horrible my engine bay is  :shruggy:

Hey, if they are not giving you money to invest in your car and your not even in the event, don't pay any mind to the judges or spectators, except if you want constructive criticism so you may make corrections at a later date as funds are approved, then this is always helpful.
When your parked across the street from the event is your hood down? With the hood being closed, THAT MEANS, THE ENGINE BAY IS OFF LIMITS.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 08, 2015, 07:12:15 PM
"In any case, I hate seeing dolls and toys hanging out of engine bays and cars in general.  I mean, WTF?  What does all of that mean? "

:rofl:

Absolutely. Those stupid dolls have no purpose whatsoever. They are often placed against a car with their arms up and their faces hidden in their arms. Are they supposed to invoke shame? The dolls are embarrassed at the quality of the restoration or the money spent on it ?
The big Road Runner or Coyote dolls probably annoy some people but I actually like them. They remind me of what a Plymouth dealer may have had as a display in the showrooms from 68-74.

Did other brand car makers put dolls and toys in their showroom car displays as well, back in the day?

68pplcharger

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 04, 2015, 06:58:46 AM
Painted black engine bay

Lol that was the factory engine bay color for many GM's hard not to have that if it's stock

six-tee-nine

I hate it when engines have enough plug wires hanging onto them to wire 3 engines. Jesus you can shorthen these fairly easy.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

ACUDANUT

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: myk on September 08, 2015, 09:37:50 AM

I remember reading a story in a mag about a Daytona that had an obscene amount of chrome on it; engine bay and suspension too.  What a waste of a good car. 

In any case, I hate seeing dolls and toys hanging out of engine bays and cars in general.  I mean, WTF?  What does all of that mean? 

I remember that Daytona and it was some shade of red. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that was bolted on was chromed and that is no exaggeration.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

myk

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 09, 2015, 06:14:55 PM
Quote from: myk on September 08, 2015, 09:37:50 AM

I remember that Daytona and it was some shade of red. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that was bolted on was chromed and that is no exaggeration.

Right?  I wonder what happened to that car....